• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fear of rides - Alton Towers

I must admit to feeling a tad nervous when waiting in the queue for The Smiler. And once I finally sat down I was still a little apprehensive. Then when we got to the half way point I thought if I could make it through the first half then the second half would be no problem at all. And it wasn't. However I did have to take my glasses off. And I took a vow of silence after going on Spinball. I admit that I closed my eyes during.

Hi I know I might sound a bit of a wuss but I'm literally afraid to go on air. Like I loved the runaway mine train and I have been on air a few times but last time I went on it I was at the very back and it gave me a bad experience and scared me. So I am afraid to go back on it but I really want to go on it as it''s my main objective each time to go is to get on it and just ride it. I don't know how to overcome my fear :(

Hi I know I might sound a bit of a wuss but I'm literally afraid to go on air. Like I loved the runaway mine train and I have been on air a few times but last time I went on it I was at the very back and it gave me a bad experience and scared me. So I am afraid to go back on it but I really want to go on it as it''s my main objective each time to go is to get on it and just ride it. I don't know how to overcome my fear :(

I remember making it all the way through the queue line when I was younger and getting to the airgate before bottling it and not riding. In the end (a few years later), I just took the step and braved it.

Take some deep breaths and just think that it's meant to be comfortable and enjoyable, it won't harm you or hurt you at all! If it's a fear of the back row in particular then you should be able to request a different row from the ride op or simply hang back a couple of people until you know you wont get it.

It's a tricky one because different people overcome and deal with their fears differently but the best way is to just take the plunge and ride and relax!

The other trick is to keep repeating cold logic in your head...
It cannot hurt me, it is completely safe, it must be because even parents let their kids ride.
Then get on the bloody thing!

I used to be scared of the rides too but what you’ve got to do is just give them a go! Three years ago I would only go on thirteen and I’ve recently been on mako which is 200ft! There’s been very few rides I’ve hated and you’ve just got to remember it’ll be over in a minute - you’ll probably want to go again after :D

I had a fear of inverted coasters thanks to a coaster at Drayton Manor. This year has been all about facing fears. I have ridden every major coaster apart from smiler. I'm not scared of smiler I just have no desire to go upside down 14 times.

Thirteen is just awesome and so is oblivian. One of the factors that we had going for us was the fact that we had fast pass for all of the major rides. If you have a bogey coaster maybe (and no I'm not condoning the use of fast pass) consider purchasing a fast pass for your first time. Getting straight on gives you no time to think about it. I love oblivian.

And since your a lady. I have no problem coming with you to help you face your fears. I'm a qualified senior support worker and managing fear and panic is how I pay my rent x

I only rode Oblivion and Thirteen for the first time last year, and really enjoyed them. I then rode Nemesis and Galactica this year. (Nemesis was amazing, Galactica not so much)

I think Oblivion is scariest at the front, and recommend nervous riders to try and get the back row. Galactica always scares me, as I don't feel comfortable in the harness (when in the flying position).

Never tried Spinball (throws riders around a bit to much for my liking), Rita (not sure about the sudden launch) or Smiler (don't know if I would be able to handle all the inversions like @Snagglemama).

Last edited:
I used to be terrified of them. Ironically, it took heart surgery for me to get a new appreciation for my life and take more risks. I'm so thankful that I did because now I'm a massive coaster nerd and I'll ride anything! I think they key to not being afraid is to accept that your first big ride is going to be terrifying up until you are released from the lift hill or launch track. After that, your good friend adrenaline will either have you hooked or it'll tell you to stop doing whatever it is you're doing. In most cases, it's the first!

I only rode Oblivion and Thirteen for the first time last year, and really enjoyed them. I then rode Nemesis and Galactica this year. (Nemesis was amazing, Galactica not so much)

I think Oblivion is scariest at the front, and recommend nervous riders to try and get the back row. Galactica always scares me, as I don't feel comfortable in the harness (when in the flying position).

Never tried Spinball (throws riders around a bit to much for my liking), Rita (not sure about the sudden launch) or Smiler (don't know if I would be able to handle all the imversions like @Snagglemama).

I've only ever done oblivian at the back. I really want to try the front :D
I used to be terrified of them. Ironically, it took heart surgery for me to get a new appreciation for my life and take more risks. I'm so thankful that I did because now I'm a massive coaster nerd and I'll ride anything! I think they key to not being afraid is to accept that your first big ride is going to be terrifying up until you are released from the lift hill or launch track. After that, your good friend adrenaline will either have you hooked or it'll tell you to stop doing whatever it is you're doing. In most cases, it's the first!

My family thought I was just trying to face a fear as part of my self declared midlife crisis now we are talking about doing some parks in other countries.

I only rode oblivion and 13 last year then the beginning of this year I got on galactica, a few trips later I got on nemesis and after that it didn’t take me long to get on the smiler.
My advice would always be to remember they’re safe nothing bad is gonna happen thousands of people have ridden it before you and if you hate it you never have to go on it again!
My biggest tip that worked for me is rather than thinking you’re nervous, keep telling yourself how excited you are to be going on the ride and how much you’re going to love it! Sounds stupid but it really helped with my first time nerves.
Now I don’t even get nervous the first time I go on a ride, a massive achievement for having a huge fear of rides since I was a kid :)

Before my first theme park experience I was afraid of heights. It was Manta at SWO that got me over that fear. That lift hill in the flying posistion is quite the experience to a coaster virgin.

Now it's a case of the higher the better. My wife can't get her head round the fact that in the past I'd be sweating when climbing a ladder and now I can throw my arms in the air on Sheikras drop or the top of Falcons Fury.

Hi I'm going to alton towers tomorrow and I'm really nervous and scared about going on air. I can just do the runaway mine train and bored of it but I'm scared air due to the long chain lift and the first major drop :(

Hi I'm going to alton towers tomorrow and I'm really nervous and scared about going on air. I can just do the runaway mine train and bored of it but I'm scared air due to the long chain lift and the first major drop :(
Just take a deep breath and try it! Once it gets going you'll be fine. It took me a long time to find the nerves to ride it.

Air was my first ever big coaster way back in 2004, and it took me all day to pluck up the courage to go on it. However I loved it, and I've never looked back since. For a big coaster it is relatively tame and a good one to start on.

:)

Storme, you'll be fine mate Air/Galactica is a smooth ride. For intensity get on Oblivion! Just go and enjoy them.

It seems the only thing to really be nervous about at AT these days is the queues and operations

Watched a program on the BBC the other night "The Truth about Stress". Instead of trying to suppress your fears or trying to calm yourself down, as this never works, because calming your self down is the opposite of stress. They say that you must try and turn your fears/stress into excitement. so just trick your brain by saying to yourself, "I'm feel excited"

See the "I feel excited" approach here as Fiona Phillips takes on her fear of doing a zip wire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051vh2c

for full program

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yy2n4

Watched a program on the BBC the other night "The Truth about Stress". Instead of trying to suppress your fears or trying to calm yourself down, as this never works, because calming your self down is the opposite of stress. They say that you must try and turn your fears/stress into excitement. so just trick your brain by saying to yourself, "I'm feel excited"

See the "I feel excited" approach here as Fiona Phillips takes on her fear of doing a zip wire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p051vh2c

for full program

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04yy2n4

This is exactly what I do! I even never heard of this theory before but it really does work