• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term 2015

I personally don't see any reason why anyone would visit whether you have a family or not. The tickets are not that much cheaper than the half price ticket deals you get, and you are missing most of the thrill rides and if you have a family you are missing half of those rides. Unless you have a pass there is no real incentive to go.

I do always find Feb Half term a bit depressing, you have some whole areas closed like X-Sector and Forest, then you have rides in other areas closed such as all the water rides, Charlie, Ripsaw, Sub-Terra. I almost wish they would either open all the park (maybe leave water rides) or just not bother at all. Its basically whats open at Christmas plus a few other rides (OK This year CCL isn't open for Christmas, but has been in the past).

I personally don't see any reason why anyone would visit whether you have a family or not. The tickets are not that much cheaper than the half price ticket deals you get, and you are missing most of the thrill rides and if you have a family you are missing half of those rides. Unless you have a pass there is no real incentive to go.

There are people with children aged 3-8 who don't get on any rides except CBeebies in the main season due to queues (read tripadvisor). For many that is all the are interested in, or for othera they just don't have to ride Nemesis with the kids in tow. Therefore the appeal of half term is the opportunity to visit CBeebies while the park is slightly quieter. Drayton Manor have done a similar thing with winter opening of ThomasLand, many people do go only for ThomasLand.

Opening Nemesis Sub Terra in February was a little silly due to the above reasons. It is also expensive in terms of staffing.

However, there's no Sub Terra. And there's no Oblivion.

And there's no replacement being served up.

:(

Opening Nemesis Sub Terra in February was a little silly due to the above reasons. It is also expensive in terms of staffing.

However, there's no Sub Terra. And there's no Oblivion.

And there's no replacement being served up.

:(

Last year the farm area was closed, CBeebies will be open this year so there are more attractions open this time. Just not thrills

This is true.

Sub Terra regularly, if not always, has to skip batches due to limited numbers of guests visiting it.

I expect that when the new attraction is open in the Valley for 2017 we will see a full offering of the Air, Nemesis, Sub-Terra and the SW8.

I get the impression that having whole areas of the park open is the way Alton Towers want to swing. With Lodges being installed by March 2017, there's apt demand for CBeebies to remain open the way it is, and open the whole of the Valley (what'll be left of it by then) with the new ride in the form of a soft opening. Obviously that's a long way off.

With regards to this year's offerings, it's to be expected. The budget allocated for this event = certain number of rides open. Now the company has floated shareholders want a bigger and bigger return every year, so naturally the budget would decrease annually.

Just a thought. And something completely different could happen.

Last edited:
We have no idea what they new attraction will be in 2017 though? Chances are it won't even be a coaster!

:)

I am absolutely confident the new attraction in 2017 will be a major rollercoaster.

RE: February half term - I personally am still hopeful that they decide to do a December weekends/school holidays event in future... surely it would be far more lucrative and the park would be able to do SO much more with it...!

:)

I still maintain it will be in 2016. I can't see there being nothing very little in both 2015 and 2016, it's just not feasible given the recent development cycle. Especially considering 2011.

The Merlin parks have reverted to a 4-year development cycle

The next major attraction at Alton Towers will be 2017. Of this, I am 95% certain.

2013: Smiler (large)
2014: CBeebies (medium)
2015: Enchanted Village + CBeebies attraction (medium)
2016: Small
2017: Large

I still maintain it will be in 2016. I can't see there being nothing very little in both 2015 and 2016, it's just not feasible given the recent development cycle. Especially considering 2011.
2015: presumed kiddy coaster and massive resort investment is a pretty big year.

2016: small-medium investment in park

2017: major investment.

It fits a new 4 year cycle for Merlin. Plus it would be unlikely they would spend major capital on thorpe and Alton in one year.

EDIT: what dan said :p

Just a reminder this is a topic for February half term 2015 discussion. We seem to be veering off into 2016/2017/SW8 discussion at the moment :)

I don't think anyone appears to want to discuss this shambles of an event anyway, SW8 is far more interesting ;)