• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term 2017

I am confused.

The hotels surely aren't shut in January, February and most of March!?

Surely not! I'm wondering if they've closed bookings while they decide if they're going to do any events or anything (and thus what price they can get away with). Pretty mental that they don't know if they're going to be open or not in less than 2 months time.

It looks like Towers are saying Twitter that they don't know if the hotels are going to be open. Sheer madness, they've lost the plot!

:)

Sounds like loss of interest. Must be more money in the midway attractions. Towers must me costing them too much to run the most lucrative part of the resort year round. :banghead:

Sounds like loss of interest. Must be more money in the midway attractions. Towers must me costing them too much to run the most lucrative part of the resort year round. :banghead:

"Merlin doesn’t expect the theme park to recover until 2017. Attendance at Alton Towers and another ride-heavy park declined last year and revenues fell for the company’s resort theme parks group.

Company-wide, attendance, like-for-like revenue and profits increased by less than 1 percent.

The six Legoland Parks were a standout, however, with like-for-like revenue increasing 8.2 percent. A Legoland Hotel opened in Florida last year, and the company already has plans to expand again with a beach village-themed resort there.

Four more Legoland parks are expected to open by 2020, including three that have already been announced in Dubai, Japan, and South Korea.

Plans also call for 2,000 more hotel rooms throughout the portfolio and 40 new Midway attractions — which include Madame Tussauds, The Dungeons, aquatic centers, and other venues, including some in partnership with DreamWorks — by the end of 2020.

“Our vision over the next five years is to consolidate Merlin’s position as a global entertainment company at the heart of which are multi-layered intellectual property partnerships, which actually will be part of how we move the business forward,”
-- Nick Varney

https://skift.com/2016/02/27/merlin...-more-business-with-an-investment-in-big-bus/

So more Legolands, more Hotels and forget all about the Theme Parks :(:(

I can't see it happening but I hope they sell Towers, Thorpe and Chessington. There's obviously lots of investment in the lego parks but not so much in other parks.

Somebody else could run Feb half term and other event so much better!!

I guess that's where the chunk of redundancies are going to be - the hotels if they're closed for 3 months.

Very odd decision if true, no Beach party then either I guess.

Alton Towers publicly telling people that they do not know if the hotels are open in 6 weeks time?

Bonkers.

Social media team obviously haven't been told anything and genuinely have no idea. I'm sure an actual decision *has* been made, but for whatever reason, we're not hearing it.

Social media team obviously haven't been told anything and genuinely have no idea. I'm sure an actual decision *has* been made, but for whatever reason, we're not hearing it.

Would have been better if the social media team just said "I'm sorry I don't have that information, we will have to look into it"

Would have been better if the social media team just said "I'm sorry I don't have that information, we will have to look into it"

Absolutely. But then again, they may not have been told to say that either. It sounds like they haven't been briefed on what to say, which is bad.

The truth doesn't sell MAPs

Basically yes. Merlin are very careful with when they release information. Earlier this year, they didn't reveal the TLC program officially (despite enthusiasts having known about it for months) until after the special offer on MAP's had ended. They know what they're doing (or don't, as the case often is).

The social media team get it in the ear when the bad news breaks, but they only report what they're told, when they're told it.