• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2016

Pop mash-ups are never going to leave firework displays because, as a music choice, pop is fairly neutral. Not to everyone's taste obviously, but it suits the event to a T.

Pop mash-ups are never going to leave firework displays because, as a music choice, pop is fairly neutral. Not to everyone's taste obviously, but it suits the event to a T.

I have no issue with pop music, its the constant mashing of 30 second clips over a hard core beat that I find just absolutely tasteless.

I am going to comment on the fireworks show itself.

started with fan fair style music, the captain address had a cheeky nod to Neil Armstrong first step moon landing speech. you know the captain leaving his daughter alone on the bridge is going to be the base of the rest of the fireworks story.

i quiet liked the joke with the wipers and vibrating seat. Was I the only one that thought about other scifi ships when the galactica cruise ship appeared?

The link for the pop music mix up was better than some years. "space DJ, awesome" even if the start of the music reminded me of the BttF theme.
The fireworks and lasers where time really well, interesting use the 60s space race sound bites mixed in during the space DJ section.

Luna, the captain daughter had mousey hair. and made me wonder if it was done to link in with life on Mars. if it was, great attention to detail.

linking the firework to attack and defence worked, and it was really nice of the alien to say "the game is over" to give Luna an idea on how to fly the ship, I did wonder when her VR gear would make a comeback.
80's graphics and 8 bit sound alike music, oh the childhood memories of space invaders come flooding back.

low earth orbit and captains back, that must mean the long range antenna systems was damage and not the short range one. damn, sometimes being a radio geek take the fun out of things.

Loved the 8 bit alike start to ITHOTMK. you can not have a towers firework display without it.

All in all it was a good show, the story fed the fireworks well.

Last edited:
I tell you what though, that bit of Bowie in the last one. I was pleasantly surprised when that came on. Although, considering the fact that the girl in the video gets lost in a spaceship, I thought 'Space Oditty' would have suited better than 'Life on Mars' but again, kind of refreshing.

I have no issue with pop music, its the constant mashing of 30 second clips over a hard core beat that I find just absolutely tasteless.

I would tend to agree - they grate. I just think they're here for the foreseeable.

I've been going the fireworks events since 2010 and I feel this years was probably the worst one that I've seen at the Towers. I was just cringing at the video portions as they were so cheesy and I felt some sections went on for to long and as a result meant less fireworks than previous years. The finale this year of ITHOTMK wasn't as strong firework wise either as years gone by - although I like the use of the 8-bit section. Overall I feel the story didn't flow to well and was too cringey. One of the best for me was The Gatekeeper one with the memories - made me think back to all the memories I have at the towers with family/friends.

On the crowded front I didn't feel the Sunday was too bad, the only downside being the F&B as the queues were tailing back and the waits were a little long. Renewed my pass for another year - roll on 2017!

One of the best for me was The Gatekeeper one with the memories - made me think back to all the memories I have at the towers with family/friends.

This is my favourite show at AT, ever. If I hear 'I love it' anywhere, I still sing over (silently) with The Smiler's 'hahaha.'

It was refreshing at the time after previous years, the mix of music was good, and the narrative was excellent. Not to mention it was the year of The Smiler - the best thing to come to AT since 1998. Perhaps a statement no longer relevant ironically.

A show about rollecoasters that we know and love? A win for me anyway. Oblivion's 'Don't look down,' Nemesis' 'king of the coasters' nod, still gives me goosebumps. Pendulum - Slam fitted perfectly for Nemesis, I think it was very well put together in all areas.

More like this please AT.

I was not there this year but have watched various videos of the event. My thought is that while the actual fireworks were pretty good, the storyline, actors, screen, stage and lasers were just very poor. The story being the worst part, especially that annoying girl Luna (dad, dad!!!), arrghh. Personally I dont think there was any need for the screen at all,

The story being the worst part, especially that annoying girl Luna (dad, dad!!!), arrghh. Personally I dont think there was any need for the screen at all.

I think there's every need for a screen or at least some kind of story telling aspect but I agree with you that what ruined the show was an annoying bratty teenage girl. If it had been left to Captain Nemo (or whatever he was called) then it would have been a lot better. I would have much preferred the idea of exploring galaxies and worlds, much like the ride itself.

And I still don't get what the need for an American accent was either. The ride is all British, and is in Britain.

That goes for Altonville Mine Tours as well. I loved the maze I don't get the American accent thing. The history of Altonville goes back to Field of 1000 Screams which was all British. Why has it changed? What does this add to the experience other than cringe factor?

I am going to comment on the fireworks show itself.

started with fan fair style music, the captain address had a cheeky nod to Neil Armstrong first step moon landing speech. you know the captain leaving his daughter alone on the bridge is going to be the base of the rest of the fireworks story.

i quiet liked the joke with the wipers and vibrating seat. Was I the only one that thought about other scifi ships when the galactica cruise ship appeared?

The link for the pop music mix up was better than some years. "space DJ, awesome" even if the start of the music reminded me of the BttF theme.
The fireworks and lasers where time really well, interesting use the 60s space race sound bites mixed in during the space DJ section.

Luna, the captain daughter had mousey hair. and made me wonder if it was done to link in with life on Mars. if it was, great attention to detail.

linking the firework to attack and defence worked, and it was really nice of the alien to say "the game is over" to give Luna an idea on how to fly the ship, I did wonder when her VR gear would make a comeback.
80's graphics and 8 bit sound alike music, oh the childhood memories of space invaders come flooding back.

low earth orbit and captains back, that must mean the long range antenna systems was damage and not the short range one. damn, sometimes being a radio geek take the fun out of things.

Loved the 8 bit alike start to ITHOTMK. you can not have a towers firework display without it.

All in all it was a good show, the story fed the fireworks well.

Fab review, thank you

I also forgot to mention - reminded me whilst listening to it last night - why on earth did they not feature the Galactica Soundtrack!? It's one of the best pieces of themepark music I've ever heard and yet it wasn't used. :confused:

It'd have been fantastic for fireworks :(

They used a lot of the Galactica soundtrack in the 15 minutes building up to the show, so I guess this is the main reason it wasn't used in the show. It would certainly have been better than some of the totally unmemorable stuff they did use.

:)

I also forgot to mention - reminded me whilst listening to it last night - why on earth did they not feature the Galactica Soundtrack!? It's one of the best pieces of themepark music I've ever heard and yet it wasn't used. :confused:

It'd have been fantastic for fireworks :(

They used a lot of the Galactica soundtrack in the 15 minutes building up to the show, so I guess this is the main reason it wasn't used in the show. It would certainly have been better than some of the totally unmemorable stuff they did use.

:)

Actually have to say I thought the build up to the show was epic! It was only the show itself which was a bit of let down, mostly once Luna took over.

Great use of the Galactica theme though with the narration over top.