• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2016

I've said it once, I'll say it again. I hate this phones autocorrect. Makes me look stupid...:banghead:

Go on, you got to admit it, you do own a pair or two ;)

Shoe_Fireworks_Package_hi-res.jpg
DEB-304-2.jpg

but I have to disagree with your earlier statement - I'd be gutted if they didn't end with ITHOTMK as it's just Alton Towers all over, not to mention a superb piece for fireworks in general. It was disappointing they didn't volley a ton up at the final bit but I'm glad they made an effort with the piece to 'space it up' rather than just stick the original on the end.

It was good once for their 30th birthday in 2010 (because it suited the theme) but now its just repetitive and predictable, and it doesn't fit in the theme of any of the shows. What's ITHOTMK got to do with space travel? I wouldn't mind them working the main hook somewhere into the show but using the full piece for a finale every time is really boring and not the least bit creative.

It was never used for the finale in the old days, ya know when the shows were actually good. Why now? Because it's just Merlin's typical cold corporate branding. They drum that tune into your head everywhere you turn and then to use it as the finale for their biggest show of the year, time after time, is just too much.

We finally got them away from the "resort, resort, resort, our amazing rides and atttrrrrraactions, resort, resort" so now its time to leave ITHOTMK alone.

I think it works for some shows and doesn't work well for others. It needs to flow through. This years show it didn't flow, it just abruptly starts, and kind of ruins the end of the main 'story'. I can see how it's lazy too, as they don't need to think of any kind of finale at all, just get ITHOTMK on and use pretty much the same sequence.

I would like them to try one year without the ITHOTMK finale, and see how that's received by the GP.

I want them to keep the ITHOTMK ending. It's a nice finale, and last year it brought everything to a conclusion and climax nicely.

This year it was a welcome sign that the disappointment would soon all be over.

I would be gutted if we got a show without ITHOTMK as the ending, that tune is still magical and everyone knows it as Alton Towers. I would agree that it seemed a little bolted on this year and didn't flow as well as it has in the past but it was still the best part of the show (for me at least).

:)

What's ITHOTMK got to do with space travel?.

There were a number of tracks played during the show that had no relevance to Space travel in any way, shape or form. What ITHOTMK has is relevance to Alton Towers. They did try it one year without it, I can't remember the year - 2011? and it was the worst show I'd seen. They quickly reverted back to using it the following year and have done ever since. I think people now expect it and if they didn't do it one year I think most people (excluding yourself) would be disappointed.

The only problem I found with using ITHOTMK is people know its the end, and some people in front of me started to leave as soon as it started, despite being the best part in my opinion.

I actually really like the finale, and I be disappointed if they stopped using it. As long as there's a different twist on it every year (such as the IMAscore last year), it will be their signature and I'll look forwards to it.

some people in front of me started to leave as soon as it started, despite being the best part in my opinion.

How rude, people have been doing that every year and it can be quiet annoying, especially when you get whole groups walking pass blocking your view. In previous years, they used to climb up and walk across the wall on the old disable viewing area, blocking all the view of the wheelchair users. Haven't had the same problem with the new viewing platform. Come on for the sake of 2 and a half minutes, either stay right till the end or if you can't really stand ITHOMK and really must get away quickly, then simply stand right at the back ;)

Kids on shoulders standing at the front or in front of the disable viewing platform can also be annoying too (as well as large balloons) :rolleyes:

How rude, people have been doing that every year and it can be quiet annoying, especially when you get whole groups walking pass blocking your view. In previous years, they used to climb up and walk across the wall on the old disable viewing area, blocking all the view of the wheelchair users. Haven't had the same problem with the new viewing platform. Come on for the sake of 2 and a half minutes, either stay right till the end or if you can't really stand ITHOMK and really must get away quickly, then simply stand right at the back ;)

Kids on shoulders standing at the front or in front of the disable viewing platform can also be annoying too :rolleyes:
may i ask what "ITHOMK" stands for?

Most people can tell when a show is coming to an end (whether it's ITHOTMK playing or something else) and leave early. I remember as a kid during the early 2000s fireworks shows people would leave quickly when it came to the end.

I do love ITHOTMK although I haven't liked it for every finale personally. Most years it comes out of no where and you lose that link between the ITHOTMK finale and the main showpiece, it can be very disjointed some years. Now last year's re-imagined piece with Hex recorded fresh that year with a real orchestra... it can't get any better than that, and personally I think no show finale will ever outdo that one. It's the best finale they've created with fireworks since 2010.

I would like to see them experiment a bit, although I'm not too bothered about the finale music, I've got more important things keeping me up at night.

They did try it one year without it, I can't remember the year - 2011? and it was the worst show I'd seen. They quickly reverted back to using it the following year and have done ever since.

Its been used every year since 2010. That's 7 years worth of shows :(

Skip to the finale of each video lol!

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

2014:

2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsC3tvmJ0Qs

2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHgh8F5SJzM

Actually if you watch all of those, every year is exactly the same format - a horrendous pop mashup assault on your ears, with only the past 3 years having a little bit of story mixed in. Every year is pretty much copy and pasted, you can't tell them apart. How boring!

Last edited by a moderator:
All for pop mash ups, especially if them trying to move away from it gives us more like this year.

Don't see how they're all copy and pasted, in the last few years they've had the water screen, the enterprise and the stage. They clearly put effort in to designing the show. They use pop music because most people enjoy pop music. This year it didn't really fit with the story but last year they built the show around the music and that's why it worked so well. I'll take a straight up pop mash up over anything like this year. Unless they composed music just for the show, more shows like last year would be what I'd prefer.