• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

First trip to Liseberg-3rd and 4th November

SirDossa

TS Member
Liseberg had firmly been on my radar for the past couple of years,and I finally got to visit there for two days for the closing weekend of their Halloween event and season.We flew from Heathrow early on Saturday morning and were at Gothenburg in no time.A short bus journey from the airport took us to “Gothia Towers” which is located right outside the entrance to Liseberg,and we checked in to discover that our room was on floor 14 which offered a superb view of the park itself.It’s worth noting that this hotel was very nice and offered a lovely buffet breakfast.It was reasonably priced too and in an ideal location.

330vb7q.jpg

v2xkso.jpg

We headed over to the park soon after it had opened at midday and we were met with very large crowds.This was to be expected as the sun was shining and the park was open until 11 pm.Thankfully we had pre booked our tickets online and therefore didn’t have to join the ridiculous queues to buy tickets on the door.I’m not sure why anyone would not pre order tickets online as the option to reserve three express pass tickets for three individual rides is a bonus not to be missed,and one that benefitted us greatly given the crowds that had amassed on the Saturday. It is worth mentioning that the queues for the big rides were no more than 60 minutes throughout the day, and we managed to get straight on the three main coasters with our express passes.The scare mazes seemed to attract the bigger queues and a lot of people appeared to just be on the park enjoying the Halloween atmosphere which was fantastic across both days.

mv6gqc.jpg

We managed to get multiple rides on all the main rides across both days with the main coasters all practically being walk on on the Sunday

My thoughts on the coasters are as follows:

Helix- This had been built up for a long time and was the ride I was most excited to get on.It was the first ride of the trip and I came off feeling ever so slightly underwhelmed.However,after front and back row rides in the dark on this beast,I can safely say it is my new number two coaster.It was incredible at night,and the layout of the ride is a sight to behold.The air time over the hills is superb,and the speed and intensity of the launches and twists and turns really are quite thrilling.A top top coaster and a fantastic feat of engineering.

Valkyria- This was only my second ever dive coaster (after Oblivion) and wow it did not disappoint.The general theme and look of the ride was great and it rode like a dream.The drop itself was intense but still smooth and the the views at the top were sublime.Not quite sure where it sits exactly but it is definitely a top 10 coaster for me.

Balder- What a ride!We did this the most times as it was my girlfriend’s favourite ride on park and was pretty much walk on the whole time.It really is so much fun,and it bombs around the track at night like an absolute dream.A superb coaster packed full of air time,and I think it’s overtaken Wodan as my new favourite woody!

Lisebergbanan- A really fun coaster with great views over the park and Gothenburg.It was pretty intense in places,and packs a couple of pretty savage breaks at the end (be warned!)

e7i6tl.jpg

34taamf.jpg

2cz5zk2.jpg

29qjznq.jpg

The park is definitely lacking a dark ride or two and I would like to see them invest in these in the future.However,the flat rides they do have are very good indeed.I’m not one to normally bother with flats but “Loke” is an experience really quite like no other.Just watching it in action is a site to behold and it is without doubt the best flat ride I’ve ever done.This was another ride which was ridiculously good in the dark! I also enjoyed my first ever night time log flume ride which was great fun.It was far too cold for the gf to get on but she did manage to get a great video of me bombing down the final drop in my very own log!

6suyz7.jpg

The Halloween theming on show was superb and there was detailed theming in every corner of the park.The zombie scare zone was executed very well,and there were scare actors all aplenty. This is one thing my gf wasn’t keen on and one particular zombie took a liking to her which made me and some other guests chuckle.I had never really bothered with scare mazes before (other than pasaje Del terror years and years ago) but I did do “Zombie”, “Vinden” and “Hotel Gaston” as they all had no queue on the Sunday afternoon.I found all three scare mazes very enjoyable and the theming on display was excellent.Hotel Gaston in particular was a superb walkthrough,and I turned out to be the only guest staying there during my run through which was amusing.I still don’t think I would queue any amount of time for a scare maze as I would much rather be on the rides but I did enjoy these mazes and can see why they appeal to so many people.

2qjx69w.jpg

14c9xxw.jpg

Aside from the rides,a fair few beers were sunk in the German beer garden on park and although I had been warned about the price of beer/food in the park and in Sweden in general,I wouldn’t say the bank was quite broke.It wasn’t cheap by any means but I guess living in London,i’m fairly used to paying upwards of 5-6 pounds for a pint!

All in all,a fantastic weekend was had and I cannot recommend Liseberg enough.It really is so easy to get to,and the park now boasts three coasters all in my top ten.Operations across both days were great with no ride experiencing any downtime.I have since discovered that wicker man was on a three hour queue over the weekend and Balder was walk on..absolute madness!!

Great to see you had a wonderful first visit.

With regards to your comments on the need for a dark ride; be grateful you didn't experience the misery of Fairy Tale Castle :p Andreas has promised the next big project for the park is a dark ride, most likely for 2020 ahead of the new hotel and waterpark opening.

Glad you had a good time @SirDossa. :)

Hopefully I'll get to Liseberg one day.

Thank you,and yes it is definitely a must visit park!

Great to see you had a wonderful first visit.

With regards to your comments on the need for a dark ride; be grateful you didn't experience the misery of Fairy Tale Castle :p Andreas has promised the next big project for the park is a dark ride, most likely for 2020 ahead of the new hotel and waterpark opening.

Cheers Danny.Haha I haven’t heard too much about Fairy Tale Castle..I’m sure a new dark ride would be top notch though!