Food & Beverage 2021

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roary, 15th Mar 2021.

1. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

As far as I remember the restaurant on towers street was always packed and very busy every time I visited

2. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

What about a round the world buffet restaurant with a counter for takeaway. They could serve chinese, italian and any other food they wanted? not sure where they'd put it though.

3. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Those would've been handy... Had it not been chucking it down with rain. :p;)

NuttySquirrel likes this.
  4. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Do any UK theme parks provide indoor picnic facilities?

I can't think of many places at all that do really, generally indoor or covered areas are for those who bought food at the venue. I think some places do offer indoor or covered picnic spaces for school groups to have packed lunches, but I don't think they are always open generally.

5. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Towers have a covered picnic area in Muitiny Bay (which I referenced a couple of posts back) which I've used on quite a few of my visits. An additional one in another area of the park would be good though.

6. jon81uk

Although when the courtyard BBQ was open the covered area was reserved for those ordering food from the BBQ, it wasn't a picnic area. In fact 10 years ago I don't think there was really any picnic benches intended for those who brought their own food at all.

The official FAQ only suggests that there are benches available around the park, or you can sit and watch Big Fun Showtime with a picnic
    https://support.altontowers.com/hc/...ur-own-food-picnic-in-to-Alton-Towers-Resort-

Skyscraper and AT86 like this.
  7. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Yep the Courtyard in Mutiny Bay became a picnic area by accident really when they closed the BBQ in 2016 and just left the seating.

Compared to previous years the seating for those bringing their own food is significantly better.

Skyscraper and jon81uk like this.
  8. MylesHSG

MylesHSG TowersStreet Member

There is a large covered area with tables and chairs at Thorpe. Right at the back (or is it the front) past the flat rides and near the path that goes the back way to SAW.

9. jon81uk

That's also new this year for the pandemic.
    I think it started as just picnic tables like the lawn at AT and then they added cover for shade/rain.

Although they used to have some seating in the centre of the dome.

Also Thorpe is slightly better for indoor fast food I think, KFC and burger king both have decently sized indoor seating areas.

JAperson likes this.
  10. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Let's not beat about the bush here.

The management at Alton Towers just don't prioritise food in the theme park. For whatever reason, unlike major parks around the globe - they just don't see it is as important. You can get a half decent steak at Woodcutters, sure, and the odd dish at RCR is decent - but nothing at the resort is really memorable, and they certainly don't promote 'gastronomy' on the website. Even the events at the park basically just involve bought in mass-market street food vendors, and even the quality of that isn't really as good as you'd hope.

Things may change one day, but the head of F&B at Alton Towers (theme park) has been static for some years and I just don't think the top table at the resort are really that arsed. Trends in food and beverage occasionally trickle into the resort, but usually 5-10 years after the high street and often nowhere near the same quality level.

Over at the resort it's perhaps a little better, but even then - it's a hotchpotch of quality and service instability.

The above has been the case forever, pretty much. It's just how it is.

MylesHSG, jon81uk, Jonathan and 6 others like this.
  11. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

You absolutely nailed this!

jon81uk likes this.