• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

I was at Woodcutters today - didn't feel much different to usual. Steak was great and for £15.50. Supply issues could be playing games, though. I know that was why the SGR menu was reduced.

I'm sat in EV right now for a second night and we've just ordered delicious room service pizza and chips (which took an hour to arrive). The reason we did this was because it's £23 per adult for the cheapest of the cheap crap in Flambos or something like £28 for an 8oz steak in SGR. Didn't even bother looking at Crooked Spoon prices after seeing those 2 this morning.

I just can't justify spending that amount. After an awful breakfast this morning, it's almost becoming a place where I'll bring my own food or keep downgrading until I'm priced out of paying for anything here at all. It's not that I can't afford it, I just can't bring myself to pay for that.

For a park that charges you less than 40 quid for entry, these kind of prices just leave a bitter taste in your mouth after they've reeled you in with a chocolate wrapper or half decent accomodation deal (which are also becoming scarce this season). I just can't help but feel there will be a tipping point when all this will bite them in the arse.

I didn't personally feel £22.95 was too bad for Flambo's when I ate there last year. With AP discount it worked out even less, around £19. The carvery was good, lots of salads and other dishes (curries etc.) - and for that sort of money in a theme park resort, I was OK with it.

Yeah I think it’s easy to forget that Flambo’s buffet is basically a three course meal, even Toby Carvery would be around £20 for three courses.

I think I’d rather pay £23 at Flambo’s for multiple courses compared to £18 just on mains at Secret Garden.

Prices in many places have gone up, Wetherspoons are probably an outlier in being under £10 for a lot of mains, £12-15 for a main course seems standard in many restaurants now. Although it depends on portion size and quantity whether it is worth it and from what I’ve seen of the hotels at AT recently it doesn’t seem worth it.
Chained Oak B&B and a meal in Alton village would be a better option most of the time.

I haven't dared try Flambos after a bad experience about 5 years ago. Small range and everything tasted cheap. Much like the breakfast I had this morning. Maybe I should give it another go?

I don't think a main for nearly 30 quid for a slither of Rump is a decent price. Had a T Bone for about £15 with a voucher in Beefeater a couple of weeks ago. I'd expect to pay around £30 or so for the same at Towers but for a Rump?

I haven't dared try Flambos after a bad experience about 5 years ago. Small range and everything tasted cheap. Much like the breakfast I had this morning. Maybe I should give it another go?

I don't think a main for nearly 30 quid for a slither of Rump is a decent price. Had a T Bone for about £15 with a voucher in Beefeater a couple of weeks ago. I'd expect to pay around £30 or so for the same at Towers but for a Rump?
I agree. Woodcutters steak is £15.50. Much more tolerable. Obviously SGR will be higher but nearly £30 is a joke.

Flambo's menu was overhauled middle of last season. It's not fine dining but for £22.95 I doubt you'll have much room to complain.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

So two things here that have been on my mind:

I rarely see this mentioned but I definitely preferred the Flambo Jambo menu from when it stopped being a buffet for a while. Back in 2021. The menu choices were so varied and tasty. (It actually served a salad that I wanted)! And it had some really nice spiced whole chicken. The menu was the best in the whole of the resort. I've never been a fan of buffets, food sat around in heat trays (and I'm sure food prepped in kitchen sits on a hot plate whilst the rest is being plated etc etc) but with other people picking through it whilst it all congeals in a mass ICK!!. I'm sure other people will differ but for me it's a huge turn off. If anyone happens to have a copy/picture of that menu, that'd be amazing to see again, hungry just thinking about it.

Also not sure if anyone is aware or has seen but the Crooked Spoon is actually shut for a few weeks for evening meals mid-week. Breakfast still available but we've had an email asking us to book another option for our evening meals. Which leaves SG, RR, FJ or room service but our preference is always CS. No indication why it's shut but the option to book is blanked out for a few weeks at CS Fridays and Saturdays. So no idea what's going on?!?!Screenshot_20220424-151143.png

Probably a combination of low booking numbers, low numbers of staff and cost savings. Makes sense to concentrate on running Secret Garden and Flambo’s on those quieter weeknights. Could have closed Flambo’s but a buffet probably needs fewer staff anyway.

Where did you find them, can't see them at all on the restraunt pages?
Have you seen a Crooked Spoon one too?

We wanted Rollercoaster Restaurant really, but it's fully booked when we're going.
This is the menu for Crooked Spoon from 2020 - I don’t think it’s changed much.

Just Google the restaurant names and the menus are all available on their respective web pages within the Alton Towers website 😀

Alton Towers website is really not the best, there's plenty of almost hidden information on there, it really needs a massive sort out, you should be able to book and see the menu's of all the restaurants easily for a start. I know the menu's are there but they are not exactly easy to find if you are looking through the towers website alone.