• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Free Speech and Hate Speech

A good example, Dar. I, too, find their views abhorrent. However, I would much rather attempt to change their views than ban them, risking turning them in to martyrs.
Now, if they acted on those views, then they absolutely should face the full consequences of the law.

Of course, the ultimate answer to anything you don't like hearing is "then don't listen to it". I can't stand soap operas, so I switch channels when Hollyoaks comes on.

Where does their freedom to have and express their religions and views end, and my right to not listen to people literally wish for me to be dead?
A valid question, to which there is no easy answer. And equally, where does banning some one voicing an opinion end, and "thought crime" begin?

There are people out there that think I should be dead because I like men instead of women, I don't really feel like hearing their explanations or reasons. Often these views are based in religion, with no prospect of changing because "god". No amount of hearing their side, or offering counter arguments, will sway them.

Saying they want you dead is an extreme, so let’s get something out of the way: advocating and encouraging violence goes against many free speech principles. Causing physical harm is a much more serious action than simply upsetting people. The general idea behind free speech is that provided you aren’t advocating harm, anything goes. But harm doesn’t extend to causing offence.

So let’s talk about people who aren’t wanting LGBT people dead, but rather those that simply want to deny rights.

Opting to never have a dialogue simply ensures they’ll never change their position. They’ll never have the chance to question their own beliefs, and will eventually just discuss them with others in an echo chamber

But it also means you won’t understand, or misrepresent, their positions too. Maybe their views on LGBT issues are more nuanced than just reading the bible. Maybe there’s some things they have concerns about, legitimate or otherwise. Providing medical intervention for trans kids, for example.

I should clarify that you don’t have to listen to them, either. They may have the right to speak their mind, but you also have the right to walk away, or critique, or simply ignore.

An additional point: free speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequence.

Neither Lauren Southern or Count Dankula are “actual Nazis”, though.

Yes, and while I agree with a lot of what @Martin says, I find the case troubling in general. I should add that I don't think Count Dankula is funny, and he is, as you have so eloquently put it a 'weirdo edgelord', and tedious too. But his video is satire. He's not trying to sneak anything in. He explains the joke at the beginning of the full video, which is just part of the reason it's not really funny. He literally says "the worst thing I can think of is a Nazi." It's rubbish, though. "Kill The Jews", was never a Nazi slogan. I know we're in the realm of discussing the semantics of comedy here, rather than free speech, but his intent is clear.

I feel very divided on this topic, sometimes on a case to case basis. I don't think it's as easy as just dismissing it with a "think on", but as has also been highlighted, literal facism is undoubtedly on the rise. On the other hand, I feel like the courts simply play into the hands of those opportunists when they make this kind of heavy-handed decision.