• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

'Full Contact' Scare Mazes: Opinions

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
With the rise of more scare mazes becoming full-contact, do you think that this is the way to go?
Malefica at Fear is a very renowned full-contact maze, as well as Sub Species (RIP)
However, Tulleys Shocktoberfest is arguably the UK's greatest 'scream park', and doesn't have any full-contact mazes.
Personally, I think full-contact mazes can work, but they shouldn't simply rely on the contact to provide the scares. Survival Games at Thorpe is a full-contact maze, however none of the contact had any effect on me; just the jump scares.

I think that if the contact works in the 'narrative' of the maze then it should be scarier. Underground aliens who are betting on your survival makes sense to have contact, they are trying to force your way through the maze to change your fate in their favour. However, sometimes full-contact isn't the best. For example, in Mine-tours the only contact I ever got was a slow brush on the face, it creeped me out to no end, and it made sense in the 'Narrative' for the skin-snatchers to touch you.

I think that if the contact works in the 'narrative' of the maze then it should be scarier. Underground aliens who are betting on your survival makes sense to have contact, they are trying to force your way through the maze to change your fate in their favour. However, sometimes full-contact isn't the best. For example, in Mine-tours the only contact I ever got was a slow brush on the face, it creeped me out to no end, and it made sense in the 'Narrative' for the skin-snatchers to touch you.
Thinking about that; does Malefica really need to be full-contact considering that it is about nuns?

I'm not someone who has experienced a lot of mazes but have attended the ones at AT the past few years and I found Sub Species to be the most scary and intense, but I don't think mazes should have to rely on being full contact for the scares. Sub Species was the most intense maze due to not only being full contact, but also due to being an actual maze (which I ended up stuck in for a pretty long time lol), being split from your group, the brilliant concept and theming, and great work from the scare actors, and I believe all those factors can make for a good and terrifying maze without needing to be full contact.

There are ways to do it that completely heighten the experience and immerse you more deeply but I've seen so much 'screaming aimlessly in your face and shaking you like a bottle of near-empty sauce' in recent offerings, which is more irritating than 'scary' - some people do like that though and having options is a good thing. It works best when purposeful & tied into the storyline, IMHO.

Well that's why those are optional. If you don't like being touched then you don't have to go on a maze that does that. 🙂
Please note...all scare mazes are optional!
I never grew out of coasters, but I grew out of scare mazes very quickly...a real money making rip off machine for the value you get...gave up generally decades ago for their very poor value compared to other attractions.
Only do them now to scare little kids as first timers!