• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of Queueline Displays?

Re: Future of Queline Displays?

Well the Alton towers downloadable ap has the queue times on that so I use that a lit now. How accurate they are I don't know but with the park rolling out cross park WiFi I'd imagine they'd want the info their giving customers to be accurate.

The signs they have now do a good job replacing them with LCD screens or TVs would probably result in the increased likelihood of them breaking or being vandalised.

John_P said:
Well the Alton towers downloadable ap has the queue times on that so I use that a lit now. How accurate they are I don't know but with the park rolling out cross park WiFi I'd imagine they'd want the info their giving customers to be accurate.

The signs they have now do a good job replacing them with LCD screens or TVs would probably result in the increased likelihood of them breaking or being vandalised.
Yeah forgot about the app would be overall cheaper and effective as the increase of smartphones available

I have seen concerns re my idea (also i love it too much to back down) - there is no reason why a bank of screens cant be put together.
In a not too distant situation Boots use a similar system for adverts and promotions. [/volor]

mikeroller said:
Phantasialands system might look the part but the small font and hard to read screen isn't helping anyone.
I have to say, on my two visits I haven't found that to be a problem at all. Certainly the screens are anything but hard to read - they're very clear, with a large number displaying the queue time, and a scrolling news feed at the bottom. I'd definitely cite Phantasialand's system as the best I've personally seen.

Queue boards.. not too fussed about many, but think one's like Rita, Oblivion and Spinball need ones which work and are updated.

Weird how chessie gets queue time boards for sea dragons (which is never more than 0mins), yet spinball doesn't get anything at towers.

thefatone said:
Queue boards.. not too fussed about many, but think one's like Rita, Oblivion and Spinball need ones which work and are updated.

Weird how chessie gets queue time boards for sea dragons (which is never more than 0mins), yet spinball doesn't get anything at towers.

To be fair, all of those rides appear on the main queue boards - I do agree that there should be ones actually at the front of the queueline though.

In a world to save money but do the job, I'd keep the same style as they are now but larger.

But I'd would to see a board of how the queuetimes are displayed on the app.

Or there could be these information hole in the walls that are at the Arndale/Trafford Centre that features a virtual map and can feature queuetimes too. These could feature in sheltered areas such as the Resort Box Office, near shops

I dont mind the current queue boards, they are very clear and easy to see from a distance, but they just need sorting out with more rides and not the same rides on every page.

Thorpes screens are worse to look at because they are smaller and old, but they have every single ride on the park on them, including minor things such as the tea cups and even the banana swing thing.

I would like to see all rides put on the current system, and a queue times boards at the entrances of all rides just like Thorpe park do.

I wouldn't mind Alton's half as much if they had all of their signs working. Rita's never seems to be on and the one leading up to the Towers is sometimes off too.

And even when you check the queue times on the AT app, they either won't update because of poor connection or they're completely different to what the queue time boars say on park.

The Rita queue time board works!?! Now that is something, I wasn't sure we'd ever see the day!! :p

It works and its displaying a queue time (and not just RITA), it said something like "Current queue time is 40 minutes" scrolling across it.

That is arguably the biggest news of the season! :p For the past few years it has either been off or just said "RITA"!

:)

Rob said:
That is arguably the biggest news of the season! :p For the past few years it has either been off or just said "RITA"!

:)

Well earlier afternoon on Saturday. It read " P 00"... Being the immature child I am, I chuckled..

:D

When I was there on Friday it was simply scrolling saying "Welcome to RITA" over and over. There's probably still some inconsistencies but good to see that these things are being taken into account.

Islander said:
mikeroller said:
Phantasialands system might look the part but the small font and hard to read screen isn't helping anyone.
I have to say, on my two visits I haven't found that to be a problem at all. Certainly the screens are anything but hard to read - they're very clear, with a large number displaying the queue time, and a scrolling news feed at the bottom. I'd definitely cite Phantasialand's system as the best I've personally seen.

I have to agree with this. Not only are the screens very easy to read, the system is clean and informative. No fancy animations. No sudden moving around on the screen. Just a list of rides in themed areas with a number next to them. It works a treat. Without a doubt the best system for distributing queueline information I have come across :)

Personally I think the main LED displays at Towers can sometimes actually be quite hard to read. Firstly they seem to have a very narrow field of viewing, whereby unless you're standing almost in front of it you can struggle to read what it says. Second, the glass/perspex fronting to the screens can really reflect the sunlight when it hits them, making them very challenging to read sometimes.

At Phantasialand all the screens are sheltered to some degree to reduce how much light hits them, and the screens are so efficient that there really isn't any need to clamour around them. A quick glance and you're ready to move on. None of this standing around and waiting for the attraction you want to be displayed!

548693_10151879839125584_551222023_n.jpg

Obviously the camera doesn't pick the detail up too well thanks to the polarising lens :p

384195_10151879839665584_727087627_n.jpg

Screen 1

524231_10151879839500584_859194063_n.jpg

Screen 2

And then there is another smaller display in the middle used to show promotional videos and alike.

The whole beauty of the system is that it's so simple and basic to look at, but it just works!

Another useful feature they have with it is at the ride entrances, where they operate a colour coding system (Apparently, directly relational to a ride's throughput and popularity!) which shows how the current queue is. So green for short queue, and red for a long queue, etc.

However, it was on a PL forum (I can't remember which) which said about how well managed the whole system actually is. The park account for popularity and throughputs, so for example 15 minutes for Black Mamba may be green, as for that ride it's not too bad. Whereas, 15 minutes for say Wolke's Luftpost may be red, as it's a long queue for such a ride. Sort of like at Towers, 45 minutes is a long time for RMT, but 45 minutes for Air is fairly standard.

Towers' system works in a fashion, but it's far from perfect. For starters they need to look into getting more attractions on the system! From what I gather the system can only handle so many, which is why Sub-Terra came on and Hex disappeared. It needs a complete overhaul behind the scenes to help it bring more information to guests more efficiently and with greater accuracy if you ask me.

Epcot+Wiat+Times+info+board.jpg

LEDs are the way forward with queue boards I think. Even Disney have them at Epcot and this one seems to work really well. :D

They need to sort out the app, I have found the queue times are all just 'typical' times. Not actually real times. Which is a shame, especially when there are people queueing 2 hours for RITA at 9pm :p