• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

Problem is, there is only so much that can be done to make rapids rides safer. You can put new signage/announcements alright, but you can't really add seat belts or anything like that.

Exactly, so put the signage up, turn the announcements on and turn the rapids back to how they should be.
If people don't follow rules, which are plastered/shouted bleeding everywhere on that ride, then they've chosen their fate if it goes horribly wrong.

Exactly, so put the signage up, turn the announcements on and turn the rapids back to how they should be.
If people don't follow rules, which are plastered/shouted bleeding everywhere on that ride, then they've chosen their fate if it goes horribly wrong.
Couldn't agree more. Irresponsible idiots should not be able to spoil it for everyone else.

Unfortunately, what's right and fair doesn't always win in this modern world. Alton Towers would be crucified in the modern press and on social media even if they were utterly blameless, and they know it.

There is so much about the modern world that I don't like!

When I'm Prime Minster, things are going to be different!

Problem is, there is only so much that can be done to make rapids rides safer. You can put new signage/announcements alright, but you can't really add seat belts or anything like that.

You can if you're Disney! (Kali, Grizzly RR)

Controversial opinion, I don't think the rapids has much future mainly because of the cost of running it and the space it takes up which I think could be used for a major new addition. I don't think there's much future for water rides in the country unless parks are able to regulate the splash.

They wouldn't remove the rapids as it probably has one of the highest riderships in the park as it is a ride which everyone can enjoy from little children to adults who want a soaking between the various coasters. The rapids is one of the most special rides in the park it has been there since the 1980's and has been giving guests memories for decades as well as it being the best rapids ride in the country!

With regards to cost of running (electricity) - Alton Towers is on an un-metered electricity supply, they just pay a (doubtless very high) amount each month/year to their supplier irrespective of what they use.

It is quite common to see notes in Op cabins / Maintenance sheds saying "leave heater on overnight". Not a very green approach I know!

It's ok Diogo they'll blame Alan and call it theming :eek: My mum used to threaten me with a slipper if I left the immersion light on longer than 20 minutes after a shower. Good job she doesn't work there.

Echoing what others have said, hopefully the TLC project gets expanded for a few more years and the rapids get a bit of love as well. I'd settle for the waterfalls to be turned back on, a power wash and some very loose Velcro straps as a visual reminder to stay seated.

I couldn't imagine Alton Towers without the rapids.

I think if we have learnt anything from AT social media this year it’s that they don’t know what they are talking about half the time. Wouldn’t put to much weight on that reply.

Oh I dunno, they have been off the best part of 12 months now

Health and Safety in response to the incident at nearby DMP more likely. That's more likely what it is. They just being uber cautious. How many of us and the GP have gone through those waterfalls in the past? Millions.

Like somebody else has mentioned light velcro straps should be added and more signage to encourage people to sit down. The Rapids needs all it's effects or its simply not worth riding for me and the waterfall is one of the main highlights of the entire ride.

Thorpe has it's waterfall still on, Splash Canyon doesn't even have any waterfalls so I think it's a H&S precaution more than a 'it's dangerous' type of thing.

Also if the waterfalls are off for good the ride will be definately in need a huge overhaul with new water effects to replace the wateralls.

CRR hasn't been the same since the DM incident. It feels bland. :(