• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gary Lineker: Asylum policy comments and the BBC

I can give you an equal number of so-called biases against the right/Conservative Party. The Tories have refused to appear on Newsnight for years due to so-called left wing/Labour bias.

How many Brexiteers do you think would agree with you that the BBC is neutral on Brexit, let alone in favour of it?
Question Time never featured a single pro-EU MEP since 2010 (the earliest date figures were recorded). It did however feature 50 anti-EU MEPs, in particular Nigel Farage who appeared 23 times [link]

I'm not sure the Lineker issue relates to bias per se. The issue is surely that the BBC is far too easily influenced by people in power?

I don't thing anyone has suggested that the BBC's actions over the last week show that they support the government's immigration bill. They haven't suddenly started reporting positively about the bill that is at the centre of the story. That's not why they acted, their actions instead heavily imply that they have capitulated to pressure from the government, and it is therefore far too easy for the government of the day to interfere with the BBC's operation.

And there have been recently been other examples that suggest it is not just political figures, it is anyone with enough power that seem to be able to interfere with the BBC.

Remember a few weeks ago when the BBC ran an accurate headline that Disney was planning to lay-off 7,000 staff? Maybe you don't because shortly after publication the headline was switched to Disney says Toy Story and Frozen sequels on the way as streaming numbers fall. The story still references the lay-offs, but it smells suspiciously like someone from Disney whispered into someone's ear what they were hoping to have in the headlines from the announcement.

Question Time never featured a single pro-EU MEP since 2010 (the earliest date figures were recorded). It did however feature 50 anti-EU MEPs, in particular Nigel Farage who appeared 23 times [link]

And how many pro-Remain politicians did it have in general? MEPs aren't generally selected for Question Time.

Farage was because of how well UKIP were doing in the popular vote at elections around then (which is what partially determines Question Time representation).

Ultimately, many many people from virtually any political wing and axis hate the BBC simply because the truth hurts.

The Tories are coming for the BBC, expect an outright scrappage of the licence fee being promised in the manifesto of desperation at the next election. More money for "hard working families", you see.

Working for BBC News was one of the best jobs I've ever had. The bias thing is interesting, in my experience (for one year, 15 years ago), the BBC doesn't typically have an agenda, if anything it falls over itself not to do so - which causes its own problems. Like any media outfit, the BBC is thousands of individuals with their own opinions, coming from a pretty broad spectrum. Andrew Neil and Gary Lineker are hardly natural bedfellows.

When you write something that you as a journalist consider to be completely impartial, those looking for an agenda will find one. It's inevitable.

If someone doesn't take issue with what you have written, they take issue with what you haven't written, or in its placement/prominence against something else.

From the BBC Website tonight:
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 23.42.07.png

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 23.53.30.png

Imagine the Daily Hate referring to itself in the 3rd person in a headline such as that.

"Daily Mail denies it is mathematical bollocks claiming that an 'invasion' of billions of refugees are coming to island of 67 million"

It would never ever happen. Ever.

The BBC's attempts to avoid being judged as impartial have had a run off effect of allowing certain views (from flat Earth woo-woo to anti-vaxxers) to be promoted with minimal to no response or calling out.

That is far more damaging. Especially as it was positioned as the "go-to" news source for many stories.

Unfortunately now it's shown itself to be potentially influenced by the government. And that IS a slippery slope.

As an aside, the Illegal Migrant Bill got voted through last night. The nasty party in full fascism swing it seems as none broke ranks.

I think where the BBC has fallen down sometimes over the years is when they have taken a slightly bizarre approach to a debate, where there is a lot of evidence on one side and not much on the other and given two parties equal billing and equal airtime. That does feel problematic. It might be suggested that Brexit could fall into that camp.

The landscape that the BBC operates in is also problematic, so much of the print media is skewed to the right, so consumers of that take Umbridge with a service that contradicts (or at least, often challenges) the narratives in those papers. I think that there is often an assumption that every media outlet has to be biased one way or another and if something that is prominent, that you are 'forced' to pay for doesn't align with the media that you choose to pay for & consume, that is almost certainly going to ruffle feathers.

I have no real issue with the licence fee - but I recognise that it's problematic in a lot of quarters and probably doesn't help get people who could be allies on side.

You only have to look at the times the BBC sent for Nigel Farage over the last 7+ years.

Emily Maitlis has often said that sometimes they couldn't even find anyone to be the opposition voice in a debate and resort to Farage and his ilk because they had no other choice.

What was his party’s popular vote share during the period you indicate? Also, he holds a very negative view of the BBC, arguing regularly that it is biased against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can give you an equal number of so-called biases against the right/Conservative Party. The Tories have refused to appear on Newsnight for years due to so-called left wing/Labour bias.

How many Brexiteers do you think would agree with you that the BBC is neutral on Brexit, let alone in favour of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you therefore provide the equal number of examples then?

As already mentioned pro-brexit MEP’s had full exposure to question time unlike the anti-brexit MEP’s.

The question time presenter just defended the dad of the ex-PM who is a Tory.

It is published that the BBC ensure that the QT audience are majority brexit supporting (to a 52/48 bias).

There is always this “the left wing bias” phrase yet when ever I ask for examples the examples struggle to materialise.

He holds such a negative view he always jumps at the chance to appear on it.
The two things aren't divorced from each other. Figures on the extremes have a negative view because an impartial organisation

As already mentioned pro-brexit MEP’s had full exposure to question time unlike the anti-brexit MEP’s.

I'll let @Tom defend his own points, but specifically on this one ... according to Dimbleby's book, the panel booking process is by party, rather than by individual. Therefore it seemingly wasn't the case that pro-European MEPs chose not to appear, it would be that the Westminster parties would put forward a Westminster representative, rather than a European one - at least in part.

A strategic error, perhaps.

The two things aren't divorced from each other. Figures on the extremes have a negative view because an impartial organisation

I'll let @Tom defend his own points, but specifically on this one ... according to Dimbleby's book, the panel booking process is by party, rather than by individual. Therefore it seemingly wasn't the case that pro-European MEPs chose not to appear, it would be that the Westminster parties would put forward a Westminster representative, rather than a European one - at least in part.

A strategic error, perhaps.

Yet Nigel Farage had multiple appearances but did not belong to any mainstream party, and the Greens who had a few MEP’s rarely got the invite?

I mean that seems a trifle odd.

Did she though? Or did she merely clarify a comment by one of the panel?

In many ways her comments were actually worse for Stanley Johnson, as she detailed why he is a wife-beater, who he beat, and when.

There is always this “the left wing bias” phrase yet when ever I ask for examples the examples struggle to materialise.
Well, I did cheer on Martine Croxall being gleeful over the Boris quitting stuff.
My own two pennorth over Mr Lineker...
Overpaid for what he does, they should rotate the local news sports reporters every week and save a couple of million quid.
He was right to speak, it has all been a good media circus event, but the only interesting bit...MOTD has lost about four fifths of its audience over my years of watching...nobody watches it anymore...but he gets all that dosh...the lucky sod must be earning about a penny a viewer a show!

Can you therefore provide the equal number of examples then?

It is published that the BBC ensure that the QT audience are majority brexit supporting (to a 52/48 bias).

Think I've covered the MEP point. The criteria is popular vote share at the last general election. Greens did poorly in that relative to UKIP peak, but Lucas was hardly an absentee over the years.

If you insist on examples of claimed left/liberal/remain bias:

And for a snapshot of the public's split view (2018): "A combined 22 per cent of respondents felt it was either somewhat or strongly biased towards left-wing views, while 18 per cent felt it was somewhat or strongly biased towards the right." https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/bbc-left-right-wing-bias-154917

Overall the nutshell is what I and others have said: Bias is seen on all sides because the BBC generally does a good job of providing impartial truths - which is often sore for both/all sides of any spectrum to hear.

Think I've covered the MEP point. The criteria is popular vote share at the last general election. Greens did poorly in that relative to UKIP peak, but Lucas was hardly an absentee over the years.

If you insist on examples of claimed left/liberal/remain bias:

And for a snapshot of the public's split view (2018): "A combined 22 per cent of respondents felt it was either somewhat or strongly biased towards left-wing views, while 18 per cent felt it was somewhat or strongly biased towards the right." https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/bbc-left-right-wing-bias-154917

Overall the nutshell is what I and others have said: Bias is seen on all sides because the BBC generally does a good job of providing impartial truths - which is often sore for both/all sides of any spectrum to hear.

Pro-EU speakers came from those sectors as overwhelmingly the experts in those sectors where in favour of the EU. In fact reports suggest the BBC and other news organisations desperately tried to get pro-brexit experts from industry and finance but very much struggled.

Indeed a big criticism of the BBC from the remain was that the BBC refused to say they could not find experts willing to speak up for brexit, rather they brought on politicians and pundits and gave them the same weight as experts from industry. The source you provide is a right wing pro-brexit newspaper and the article buries the above point.

Regarding the abortion point, I would want a source that is not a Christian news page reporting on the anecdotal evidence of an ex employee. I’m not saying it isn’t true I’m just saying the providence of that information is subject to bias.

Positive discrimination is a fair point of debate, however it has been prevalent across a wide range of organisations. There is often an under-representation of minorties and some would argue that if an organisation doesn’t offer fair representation then it should positively discriminate, I’m left wing but I’m torn on that point as it’s unfair on the individual applicants.

A 22/18 split on bias is within the margin of error in that poll reported in the I, and back in 2018 that demonstrated that the BBC probably had the right balance. Let’s take a look at what has happened since then:

2020 - Tim Davies appointed as DG (Tory activist and local council candidate for the Tory party).

2021 - Robbie Gibb appointed to the BBC board - ex political advisor to the Tory Party

2021 - Richard Sharp appointed chair of the BBC board - major Tory party donor and friend of the then prime minister and ex boss of the current primeminister.

The whole issue with the Lineker row is it demonstrates that the BBC has been populated by Tory party stooges, and they have not helped alleviate any concerns around a lurch to the right.