• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

GIF file size

DistortAMG

TS Member
Favourite Ride
POTC Disneyland Paris
Good evening,

I was trying to upload a .gif earlier but I keep getting the error that the file size is too large. I have cropped and compressed the .gif down from about 7MB to just over 3MB, it is still saying the same thing.

The questions I have are;
  1. What is the maximum file size for a .gif?
  2. How come I can upload photos that are 8MB or so in size, but cannot upload a .gif nearly 3x smaller, does not make sense to me.
Not sure if this is a bug or intentional.

:)

Good evening,

I was trying to upload a .gif earlier but I keep getting the error that the file size is too large. I have cropped and compressed the .gif down from about 7MB to just over 3MB, it is still saying the same thing.

The questions I have are;
  1. What is the maximum file size for a .gif?
  2. How come I can upload photos that are 8MB or so in size, but cannot upload a .gif nearly 3x smaller, does not make sense to me.
Not sure if this is a bug or intentional.

:)
The file size limit on the forum is 6 megabytes, that covers any images. I've just tested with a 4.6MB gif which seemed to work fine. Could you send the gif to me on craig(at) towersstreet.com and I'll test it at this side.

Cheers Craig, I will PM it you later after work.

I am assuming photos get compressed when uploaded? As I uploaded some that were 8MB, but upon downloading them again from the site, they are 2.5MB or so, no drama just curious. Weird about the .gif though, was not letting me upload that, despite being within the limit, knowing me, it is probably user error. :D

Cheers Craig, I will PM it you later after work.

I am assuming photos get compressed when uploaded? As I uploaded some that were 8MB, but upon downloading them again from the site, they are 2.5MB or so, no drama just curious. Weird about the .gif though, was not letting me upload that, despite being within the limit, knowing me, it is probably user error. :D
Yup the resizing is based on image dimensions rather than file size. If the image exceeds 2048 x 1152, then the resizing kicks in to bring it down to within those dimensions, that's why you'll see the difference when you're downloading back from the forum :).