• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gladiators Reboot (2023)

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Well, I'm about to make some members on here feel very old, as 90s show Gladiators could be making a return next year!

Gladiators, ready! 90s TV hit set for a reboot​

BBC in talks to revive the show, which sees contestants battle professionals, three decades after it first aired

Lycra, perms and pugil sticks could once again become a mainstay of Saturday night television as Gladiators is set to return to screens.

The BBC is hoping to revive the show, which was a massive hit in the 90s, as early as next year.

Three decades after it first aired, BBC One is in talks with rights holders MGM Studios to bring back the format, complete with travelator and suspension bridge.

A new set of preliminary “gladiators” has already been selected, according to reports, with filming planned to begin in Sheffield in 2023. A final decision on casting is expected once talks with the broadcaster conclude.

“It’s exactly the kind of Saturday night family entertainment show that BBC One needs,” a source familiar with the project told Broadcast magazine.

Originally airing between 1992 and 2000 on ITV, and presented by Ulrika Jonsson, each episode saw contestants compete against the show’s professionals to reach the series grand finale.

Physically demanding tasks, which included the Gauntlet, Powerball and Danger Zone, made household names of the gladiators, who competed under monikers including Blaze, Falcon and Wolf.

The show enjoyed a brief, two-season revival between 2008 and 2009, when it was presented on Sky One by Ian Wright and Kirsty Gallacher, who were joined for one series by original referee John Anderson – famed for his calls of “Contender, ready! Gladiator, ready!”.

The project will reportedly be overseen by Kate Phillips, the BBC’s recently appointed head of unscripted, and has been described as a “major fixture” for the broadcaster’s head of entertainment, Kalpna Patel-Knight.

The popularity of the original series, based on the US show American Gladiators, spawned several international spinoffs, including in Australia. ITV also produced a children’s version, Gladiators: Train 2 Win, which aired on ITV2 between 1995 and 1998.

The BBC declined to comment.

It will be filmed in Sheffield (at the Utilita Arena) if it goes ahead, which is cool (might have to look into tickets nearer the time)!

What's everyone's thoughts on this news?

I remember it well in the 90's but unless my memory serves me wrong, have they not already rebooted it once already? I thought Sky brought it back a few years ago?

Loved it in the 90s.

Disappointed by the Sky reboot as it took itself *way* too seriously, clearly modelled on the American revival rather than the British series.

On the other hand I typically find these revivals go the other way, and essentially play the whole thing for laughs which grates after a couple of episodes. Price is Right is one such example.

The only example I can think of which got the balance about right was the Ben Shepherd revival of The Krypton Factor and the revival of 15-to-1 (which instead suffered from being doubled in length which destroyed the pace of the programme). Crystal Maze comes close were it not for the constant fourth wall breaking.

It's confirmed!

Gladiators set to make TV comeback with new 'superhuman' stars​

Presented by John Fashanu and Ulrika Jonsson, the original Gladiators was a huge hit in the UK in the 1990s, making household names of the likes of Jet, Wolf, Lightning, Warrior and Cobra. Hosts for the new show have not been announced, but the BBC is promising a "spectacle like no other".

TV viewers, ready? Do you have the speed, the strength, the heart to be a winner? Because Gladiators is set to make its TV return.

The hit TV show that drew huge audiences on Saturday nights in the 1990s will make its comeback with an 11-episode series on BBC One.

With a new generation of "superhumans", the show will pit contestants against Gladiators in the "ultimate test of speed and strength", the broadcaster said as it announced the news.

Originally on ITV, Gladiators including Wolf, Jet, Hunter, Cobra, Saracen, Warrior, Rhino and Lightning became famous for their physical prowess on the show, nimbly negotiating climbing walls, upside down race courses, swinging pendulums and the Hang Tough rings to stop contestants in their tracks.

Presented by John Fashanu and Ulrika Jonsson, referee John Anderson also became known for his famous call of "Contenders Ready? Gladiators Ready?" as he counted down to each game.

The show originated in the US and initially aired in the UK from 1992 to 2000, with a revival on Sky in 2008 and 2009. The format was picked up in Australia, South Africa, Russia, Finland, Germany, Nigeria, Denmark and Sweden.

The new series will include new games alongside classic challenges - with each episode ending with fan favourite, gruelling obstacle course The Eliminator and its infamous Travelator.

Kate Phillips, the BBC's director of unscripted shows, said: "Gladiators is back and a whole new generation of viewers can now look forward to watching a Saturday night spectacle like no other.

"Will the contenders have the will and the skill to succeed against our mighty new Gladiators? You'll have to tune in to find out."

Hosts for the show have not yet been announced, but filming is due to take place at the Utilita Arena Sheffield in 2023.

The series is to be made by Hungry Bear Media and MGM Television UK.

Hungry Bear managing director Dan Baldwin said: "It's the perfect time for Gladiators to return.

"What other show combines electric excitement, superheroes, giant sponge fingers, elite athletes, and a pinch of pantomime? Watch out for the new breed of superhuman, supersized, superstars bursting onto your screens on BBC One and iPlayer."

Meanwhile, following the recent announcement that ITV is rebooting Big Brother, Channel 4 boss Ian Katz has given his views on the revival of older shows.

Read more: Public service broadcasting must 'find new ways to engage with the beast'

Big Brother originally aired on Channel 4 from 2000 to 2011, before moving to Channel 5 and eventually being axed in 2018.

Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival, Mr Katz described it as a "wonderful show" which did "wonderful things" for Channel 4, but the channel is now focusing on commissioning new shows.

"I'm sure it will bring an audience to ITV but I do think there is something depressing about this microwave moment of TV of shows being reheated," he said. "If Channel 4 is about anything it is about finding that new dish."

Gladiators is easily in my top ten programmes of all time, obviously clouded by nostalgia.

We went to the NIA to watch them film it a couple of times, which was fairly tedious in person, truth be told.

I mean, the theme tune alone ...

Not as good as "it's a knockout" . Being allowed to stay up and watch that, especially the intercontinental competition "jeux sans frontieres" was the highlight of the week.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

They used to have the British final of its a knockout at the Camelot site...Arena North back then, and Liz Taylor starred in National Velvet, the final jumping scenes were at the Camelot site, you could spot one of the brick bases of one of the showjumping fences from the film at the bottom of the water slides...right through to the bitter end of Camelot.
Watched the film, just to spot the future park site, many decades ago.
Sad sad old age geekery.
Edit...I might be fibbing again, it could well be International Velvet...the follow up.
Somebody watch the whole of both films and let me know, Camelot is easy to spot.
Probably.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting!

The Gladiators show used to be closely tied to American Adventure in the 90s, with their Socquet looper named “Iron Wolf” for a number of years before it was renamed Twin Looper.

Gladiators cast members used to come to the park and sign photos for guests. I had a signed picture of Saracen in my bedroom for years!

The good old days of Granada owning theme parks and television shows.

I’ll be interested to see how BBC take it forward… there used to be some great on-screen play between players, guests and hosts. I hope it’s not too sanitised!

Well this is interesting!

The Gladiators show used to be closely tied to American Adventure in the 90s, with their Socquet looper named “Iron Wolf” for a number of years before it was renamed Twin Looper.
Yep, and it was opened by none other than the Wolf!

I've got tickets to one of the shows! So happy. :D
Only three weeks to go as well!
I know it's not guaranteed though as you have to show your confirmation to get seat-numbered tickets. Will get there early just to be safe.

Today's the day! Had a 45 minute wait but got my tickets. Doors open at 1pm so got a bit of time.

Going to be good!

Also, the referees have been announced and the main one is none other than ex Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg!

Read a lot of bad reviews online the last few days, where 1000s of people had been turned away as they massively oversold the tickets. Then those who did get inside said they were there for 7/8 hours to only see a few games take place, where it would takes ages in between games to get the arena set up.

Read a lot of bad reviews online the last few days, where 1000s of people had been turned away as they massively oversold the tickets. Then those who did get inside said they were there for 7/8 hours to only see a few games take place, where it would takes ages in between games to get the arena set up.
Yeah I went to Monday's show (episode 1) and we had to leave while they were setting up the eliminator as my support had to get up early the following day. We left around 20 past 8 and apparently it didn't finish until 9:45 pm-10 pm.

We got there at 10:15 and joined the queue (which grew a lot after we'd joined), which took 45 mins. We got to the front of the queue at 11 and after being given our tickets we were told to return at 1 pm. Luckily there is an entertainment complex nearby so we went there, as did a lot of people. When we arrived back just before 1 pm, we discovered that the doors on our ticket (there are red, blue and green, we were assigned the blue section) were locked and not in use, so had to go to the next section and enter there. We also discovered that the queue was enormous, and immediately concluded that most of those people would not get in.

Once in we found our seats, and this is where I think one of the issues comes from. We had row F, which was actually the second row from the front and was quite high up. It looked like they'd removed the first four rows, which probably equated to over 1,000 seats. Could see why they did that though, as there was a gap for tech staff and equipment between the first row and the show floor. Being so close to the front was fun though, as When fire effects were used we could feel the heat from them! Also had a camera in my face a couple of times. And after they got everyone to react to a classic Gladiators track, the director was so impressed that they decided to film it and use it for all 11 episodes! If they use the whole sequence I'll definitely be on that.

It didn't start properly til 3 pm ish (there was a DJ and entertainment both before the show and during event changeovers), and given it was the first show they had to do a fair few retakes and had a few technical issues. They also filmed a few extra bits as well, given it was the opening episode.

Overall it was really enjoyable and if they did a 2nd series I would absolutely apply for tickets again, and if you are thinking of going I would highly recommend it. but my golden advice is GET THERE REALLY EARLY and make sure you have alternate plans just in case you don't get in. Bring lots of snacks as well, as it's a long day. The food units in the arena apparently closed quite early as well. Was a shame I missed the Eliminator but that was only a small part of the show. There are 5 games plus that in total on each episode.

It is ironic though how they wanted to fill the arena so send out a bigger number of e-tickets than the arena capacity, but ended up having gaps towards the end when people started leaving due to how long it was overrunning. Capacity was 3,000 apparently but they sent out 12,000 e-tickets.

Don't know when it'll air though, all that has been said is "late 2023".

Last edited: