• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gullivers Valley

Jonathan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Helix <3
Just had this pop up on Facebook. Gulliver's Family Theme Parks have bought an old colliery site, and intend to turn it into a theme park, with construction potentially beginning as early as next year. Full article here.

This is a bit of a surprise to me, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens with these plans.

Exciting stuff. Every so often we hear about plans for a new theme park, but generally they don’t happen. However, the Gullivers group have a strong track record, so this one is very plausible. I’m not sure about the Warrington Park, but the other two are heavily restricted by space. 333 acres is a lot of land. I don’t know what portion of it they could realistically develop, but it sounds like this could be their biggest project yet.

After years of attractions closing, it’s nice to have all these new ones opening (Dreamland, Harry Potter tour, Shrek’s Far Away Adventure, Kidzania, this). Dreamland’s not entirely new and most of the others aren’t actual theme parks, but it’s an exciting time for themed entertainment.

But I hope this new attractions brings some new ideas to the table and isn’t just a mash up of their other attractions. I don’t like the cookie cutter mentally that’s become rampant in the theme park industry. With the Dinosaur and Farm park Gullivers tried to do something new and I don’t think it really worked out for them, so hopefully it won’t put them off trying to do something original this time.

They do let adults in. You just need to hire a child for the day :)

More details of the plans for Gullivers Valley....
http://www.rothbiz.co.uk/2015/10/news-5533-gullivers-rother-valley-plans.html

gullivers_zpsqk5ohl2h.jpg

Last edited:
Same here, quite intrigued, though it means were slowly being surrounded by Gullivers, Matlock Bath in one direction and the Rother Valley development down the other...

Its still good to see development, a few more 'Adult rides' would of been nice though

Before we get too excited about this, can I point out there have already been 2 failed attempts at turning this land into a themed park.

1 - YES! Project - think Centre Parcs but without the lodges and a cinema, bowling. Never got off the drawing board.

2 - Visions of China - it had a massive announcement, the council sent some people to China on a jolly. It was to have a pagoda style hotel, spa, lakes, walks and a small childrens theme park. Massive fan fare then never mentioned again.

I'll not build my hopes up.

The most interesting part is Gullivers gears, which sounds more adult based Gulliver's Gears Theme Park with motorbike coasters and a drop tower; Vekoma launch anyone?

The most interesting part is Gullivers gears, which sounds more adult based Gulliver's Gears Theme Park with motorbike coasters and a drop tower; Vekoma launch anyone?
...or it'll just be a few cycle paths.

could be interesting- I've always wished that there was a theme park in Sheffield! it would boost tourist numbers as well (technically it's in Rotherham, but then Rotherham is technically in Sheffield (has the same area code letter- S)!

Rotherham and Sheffield are two separate places. The S post code also includes Barnsley, Chesterfield, Worksop and the Hope Valley, to name a few......

Still, a theme park about 20 mins from me is always a good thing.