• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Half Price Hotel Rooms in July

Great offer and I hope it gets the punters in.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Indeed a great offer, to the already fairly good hotel package. A massive saving in one of the busiest times of the year. Good job Merlin, this'll satisfy a few of the haters.

Rob said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Except it isn't half price...

How is it not half price?

:)

I think he may be trying to suggested prices have increased to take some of the profit 'hit' of this offer. However I've just done a quick quote and it doesn't seem like the original prices have been inflated at all. ;D

Rob said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Except it isn't half price...

And how is that exactly?

I did a few searches earlier on but I've just done another now to confirm it.

For a one night stay for 4 adults in Splash Landings on Sunday 1st July, without the promotional code the price was quoted as £193.50. When the 'JULY50' code was entered the same search qouted a price of £108.50.

Now I'm not the best at maths, but no way is that half price.

My calculator tells me it should actually be £96.75. What they consider half price is actually £12.25 more than it should be.

These so called 'deals' are always too good to be true, especially where Merlin and Alton Towers are concerned. :-\

Actually... he has a point. I'm not sure that it *is* Half Price:

No offer code:
8409a563085e4bd3bd253e9.png

Offer code:
7198dab288d44756ba98551.png

So, still a fantastic offer - but NOT Half Price...

I see Chris beat me to it though!

EDIT: The T's & C's state:
"Valid for Hotel Stays throughout July. Available on our standard rooms sleeping 4, discount is applicable when booking a 1 night stay on a standard bed and breakfast rate. Subject to availability and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer; discount or promotion. " - So both mine and Chris' examples fit with this...

EDIT2: I also checked ATH prices to see if it only works as fully half price in that hotel but nope, the difference is about the same. I wonder if anyone booking will notice and then query the cost difference?

Well that is a tad concerning, considering they state 'Save 50%' - I just checked to see if it said anywhere 'save upto 50%' but it states 'save 50%'. Perhaps a problem with the booking system? ???

It will be half of the price you will be quoted when booking over the phone, as there is a 10% or so discount off the full price when booking online anyway. Hence why it doesn't appear to be half price when you look at the online costs. So it is 50% off the standard room price which is the price you are quoted booking over the phone. This works out after doing a few sums quickly, give or take a few pounds.

It's like when using MAP discount on hotel rooms. You can only get it by phoning up to book and you then get 20% off the full price of the room, not 20% off the already discounted online price.

Considering those dates are outside of the summer holidays, I would only consider a price below around £80 to be genuinely good value anyway.

Still, it does represent a large saving.

Rob said:
It will be half of the price you will be quoted when booking over the phone, as there is a 10% or so discount off the full price when booking online anyway. Hence why it doesn't appear to be half price when you look at the online costs. So it is 50% off the standard room price which is the price you are quoted booking over the phone. This works out after doing a few sums quickly, give or take a few pounds.

It's like when using MAP discount on hotel rooms. You can only get it by phoning up to book and you then get 20% off the full price of the room, not 20% off the already discounted online price.

Genius!

It is all rather slightly misleading though, considering that:

This is the advert that links to the page...

00c8fc91ffdf4983befb190.png

and the only hint that there is an online discount is this: (which doesn't even really state there is one and only mentions 'search')

d500bd2c9f6b452fb02506c.png

So yeah, it isn't really clear it all, that it's based on a 'unknown' price which can't be found!

Online already saves 10%, so discount rate should be around 40% off the online rate.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Confirmed by email as to what we thought above:

Hi Scott

Thank you for contacting us regarding the July offer. I can explain the price difference for you. The web carries a 10% discount for all bookings and the July offer is 50% off the standard Bed and Breakfast rate. This rate is what we sell over the phone. For example on Tuesday 10th July for 1 night, 2 people in the Splash Landings Hotel on the standard bed and breakfast is £185, on the July offer this would be £92.50 but the web rate with the 10% discount is £166.50.