• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Has social media changed theme park enthusiasm?

Where the hell did I say it social media is compulsory or even like being compulsory or draw up that point? For the record I don’t use actually use it, bar the odd occasional visit to Facebook. I actually deleted my Twitter because of how toxic I found it was, arguing with people over stupid things like politics. But either way, perhaps you’re forgetting that for a lot of people, particularly younger people, social media is what we are now being brought up with. So there’s a ‘choice’, but not using it can make it a lot harder to contact friends etc and these days everyone is glued to it anyway. It isn’t compulsory, but I don’t think it’s as simple as you are making it out to be. @rob666

Ok fair enough, perhaps I was too condemning on Sandbrooke, maybe he’s a decent guy in person, so I’ve deleted the reference to ‘overlord’ :) . My point was that he intentionally or not has created a following that a lot of people assume is the be all and end all of enthusiasm . And because of his huge following, and his influence on his young viewers, their expectation of what a theme park is about is based on his vlogs. Going there to film yourself instead of sitting back and enjoying the rides, putting yourself on a pedestal and making it about getting subscribers and views rather than appreciating the talent that goes in to attractions, it’s a very skewed view.

And hey I’m not doubting that social media has made connecting with other like minded people easier. Im just pointing about that there are a host of negative side effects that come along with this. I think the point above is also true, a lot of the people wearing smiler hoodies are probably just normal members of the GP who see the well marketed merch.

Nothing is ever as simple as I like to make out.
And I just felt that was how you were looking at it...individuality being thrown out of the window and such.
I have no problem with the likes of Mr Sandbrooke...good luck to them, and I can't say it has ever got in the way of my hobby, apart from vloggers clogging up every path in the park on opening day at the Beach!