• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hazelwood Gardens - Planet Coaster

CGM

TS Member
A few weeks ago, after months of resisting I finally folded and bought Planet Coaster. As a result, I now have no free time left.

I was never really a fan of RCT3. I thought that in stark contrast to RCT 1 & 2, it was quite an ugly game. The selection of scenery available was small and inflexible. Buildings took ages to build and the results were pretty unsatisfying. I didn't think the geometric grid-based building system translated well into the 3rd dimension at all, particularly when it came to coasters and other custom layout rides.

While there was / is obviously a huge community dedicated to creating and sharing custom scenery, I was never really interested in that. I didn't want to go through all the trouble of trawling through libraries and spending ages downloading things only to find something was corrupted, didn't look right or was in completely the wrong scale.

Plus it never ran properly on my computer, even on the lowest graphics settings. The whole thing was just more trouble than it was worth and I went back to playing RCT2.

Planet Coaster addresses almost all of the issues I had with RCT3. While not flawless, it allows so much more freedom to create what you want with the in-game scenery. Perhaps most importantly, everything looks gorgeous. The textures and lighting are brilliant. It feels like scenery is now central to the game rather than being an afterthought. The coasters, instead of being nightmarish Ron Toomer coat hanger creations can be made to look fairly realistic. The on-ride perspective is now actually bearable! It's not NoLimits but it's good enough.

To get to grips with PC, I started a park project: Hazelwood Gardens. The park is loosely based on a drawing I did of a hillside amusement park (Which can be seen here: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/cgms-sketchbook.1528/page-4 ). It's partly inspired by parks like Tivoli & Liseberg, classic amusement parks with a real sense of history. I've also been very interested lately in turn-of-the-century World Fairs and the architecture that was created for them.

So far, I've completed the entrance area and built one ride, a B&M hyper coaster.

OEoIN8u.jpg

An overview of the entrance area.

fE2XBfG.jpg

This is the entrance building - it was my first building in Planet Coaster so it's fairly low key. I may replace it with something a bit more grand at some stage but it's unlikely.

Lqi5yg4.jpg

The hyper coaster swoops over the entrance Fury 325 style.

MFuJOS6.jpg

The Pavilion acts as the guest services building containing the Information and First Aid booths.

44EzqJu.jpg

The Pavilion interior.

yg93P7z.jpg

Across the plaza is the Hazelwood Theatre.

MJ7hpzP.jpg

v8WOcoX.jpg

J6XcXo8.jpg

The theatre interior - To fit it inside the building, it had to be sunk into the ground. The dress circle is just above ground level and accessed through the front entrance. Access to the stalls is round the sides and down imaginary stairs which I didn't bother building.

gxgMAuD.jpg

I really like funicular railways. They bring me unreasonable levels of joy. As this park is on a hill, it simply had to have one. Unfortunately, funiculars are not in the game's fairly limited ride collection and I doubt they'll be added any time soon, so I had to create a static one from scenery items.

MjqEIIS.jpg

The lower station.

vQeDfsY.jpg

The Grand Arcade - This is where the park's main eateries are currently located.

M9eJvZT.jpg

The main concourse.

qL30L1b.jpg

On the upper level seating is available.

pMgQ6ke.jpg

The park at night.

K7owH5C.jpg

An overview looking back towards the entrance.

Next I hope to start building up the hill and expanding the park's ride selection.

Last edited:
Stunning, and really creative.

It's nice to see someone post their Planet Coaster creations here. I enjoy playing the game but the very basic graphics card in my laptop simply can't render such fine details.

I especially like the theatre and Funicular Railway. I can't even imagine how many scenery pieces it took to make them.

Very, very nice.

You really have embraced the power that this game offers players when it comes to building. That looks as good as some of the work the top creators have made and shows that you can almost create whatever you can dream up.

I agree the ride line up is fairly limited at the moment, there is still a fairly decent amount which are all made really really well. The developers have also made no secret that they are still in full time development of this game. So I'm excited to see what comes next.

Reactions: CGM
Stunning, and really creative.

It's nice to see someone post their Planet Coaster creations here. I enjoy playing the game but the very basic graphics card in my laptop simply can't render such fine details.

I especially like the theatre and Funicular Railway. I can't even imagine how many scenery pieces it took to make them.

The theatre contains 9218 pieces (that's largely down to the seats), The arcade contains 3747 pieces and the funicular 1773.

I'm quite lucky in that I recently got a shiny new PC for CAD work. Had I tried to run the game on my old laptop, I think it would have instantly overheated. So far, I've just about had the game ticking along nicely on the medium graphics setting but I downloaded some finished parks from the Steam Workshop and it was hopeless. I might invest in a second graphics card at some point because my current one isn't really intended for gaming.

Reactions: Tim
Progress has been slow but nonetheless: Welcome back to Hazelwood Gardens, now with actual rides!

5irvN9Q.jpg

The Ferris Wheel is built on the hillside above the Grand Arcade.

GIGR9Ah.jpg

The view from the top.

FckrFWn.jpg

Also perched on the hill is Crow Hall, the park's as yet incomplete dark ride. I was drawing on parallel Gothic influences for this one.

2g9TZFz.jpg

Y7GsGao.jpg

The entrance foyer is complete and features narrow cross-vaulting.

iwWt1zK.jpg

Behind the Pavilion, opposite the carousel is the park's new Italian restaurant, Al Fresco. As the name suggests, the restaurant offers a lot of outdoor seating.

ADKXvg0.jpg

6VUlZtg.jpg

Seating on the front balcony

AD2Zvgl.jpg

Back up the hill: The view over the Zierer Star Shape.

Xyei8Pk.jpg

As the park has Gardens in its name, I thought the park should be given a formal garden.

FYj5MGx.jpg

The latest addition to the park is the waterfront. It sits on the edge of a brand new lake. It's yet more shops but this time in a boardwalk setting. When I get the chance to play with the new show sequencing tools, this will also be the viewing point for a firework/fountain display.

5PTuqPK.jpg

Finally, an overview of the park so far.

V50tuuh.jpg

That is looking really impressive CGM :eek:

I just have no patience with buildings and with the workshop so easily accessible and integrated.

Reactions: CGM