• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heide Park

The options I see are
  • Squeeze it right next to the hotel. Just past the pirate arena.
  • Replace the western land (seems unlikely)
  • Replace the go kart track (I noticed last year it was missing from the park map, I was hoping for more than a peppa pig land though :()
Out of the 3 I'd the third seems the most likely, as they are adding 3 rides and a Peppa's house educational/games building. However its a bit far for toddlers from the hotel and they are adding a Peppa's pig themed room. So maybe they can squeeze it all in between the hotel and adventure area.

EDIT: Seems like they might be squeezing it between the western area and the bay, with Wichtelhausenbahn and koggenfahrt both being rumoured to being replaced. So more areas bleeding into each other.

At least that means both the go kart track and assuming Colossus is no more, both have room for some major expansions.

Last edited:
It'll be a very sad day indeed if Merlin announce it's is closing.... thus proving they have more respect for their only woody than a park world famous for it's woodies.

So, we find out Colossos' fate tomorrow. Will it be refurbishment or demolition? I'm hoping for refurbishment, but I'm not too sure, as there haven't been any rumours. I have faith in Merlin to have thought about the impact that removing what is debatably the park's star attraction will have on Heide's reputation.

Also, I wonder whether there will be any pre-midnight leaks, like there were with DBGT and Wicker Man.

Can't help but feel if it was staying there would have been a leak before now. There would be too many people between Merlin and whoever would be responsible for repairs not to blabber, NDA or not.

I read a translation from a German site that stated whole sections would need to be replaced and could take 2-3 years for the replacement. All whilst the ride decays further. Add the to costs vs a new coaster, it just doesn't make sense for a park with the keenest sense of nostalgic preservation. Never mind the more recently ruthless Merlin.

The bottom line for me is that bad news usually gets delayed until after the sales of annual tickets and resorts have started. Good news has a habit of finding its way into the press. Peppa pig = leaked, Colossos = no news.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Double post - no news yet though I'm afraid

2018 has been announced as the year of the thrill and similar pass has been replaced to the Alton Towers one at €46.

https://www.themepark-central.de/heide-park-resort-bringt-den-horror-in-den-sommer/

Heide Park Resort announces new horror events
The Heide Park Resort has next to the new " Peppa Pig Land ", even more news this year ready. Now the theme park has announced new horror events. Of these, at least one will take place already in the summer months.

"Zombie Escape" - The new interactive event
New this year will be "Zombie Escape". This is an interactive zombie event where contestants must solve spooky puzzles to escape the zombie zone.

The number of participants will be limited and will take place on a few selected dates. However, there is still no information as to when these dates will be. Thus, the Heide Park Resort takes over the idea of the Zoo Safaripark Stuckenbrock, which offered a similar event last year.

Summer Special Horror Maze "Grand Hotel Morton"
The Maze "Grand Hotel Morton" was already part of the last Halloween in the park. Now this scary attraction will also be open on special days in summer. In the attraction, the mysterious spell of the "Grand Hotel Morton" will take the visitors. Because mysterious creatures are just waiting to greet the new guests of the hotel.

Again, the theme park has not officially announced the exact days of the event.

New Year Card "Year of Thrill 2018" presented
As part of the announcement of the new series of events, the amusement park has also announced a new annual pass. "Year of Thrill 2018" will be called the card and cost 46 € per person.

The services are quite interesting. In addition to almost unlimited entries, the two horror events are included in the price. However, entry on this annual pass is not possible on the following dates:

• 01. & 02.04.
  • 20. & 21.05.
  • 26.06. until 08.08.

Triple post - but is it worth it?

Drum roll

Colossos is returning!!!!!!! Well done Merlin:D

https://www.parkerlebnis.de/colosso...rbahn_54932.html?onpage_ref=home_topnews_pos1

The hope and anxiety for "Colossos" is over. Heide Park has made a decision about the future of its giant wooden roller coaster, which has been resting since summer 2016 . The good news: "Colossos" will reopen!

Review: At the beginning of 2016 "Colossos" celebrated its 15th anniversary. For this occasion, the Heide Park of the wooden roller coaster donated a theme around the history of the "tree people" ( we reported ). However, visitors could only experience them for a few months, as "Colossos" was closed in summer - and remained so until the end of the season. Also in 2017, the wooden roller coaster was not put into operation. The detailed background of the closure was unknown for a long time, until the North German theme park after the 2017 season to speak

The condition of the rails was bad, it was said then. They would have to be exchanged along their entire length - a project that in its complexity equals a new building.

Now it is clear: Heide Park is taking this step. "Colossos" is renewed.

But it will take some time before visitors to the amusement park can rejoin the wooden roller coaster. The reopening of "Colossos" is scheduled for 2019.

This is a very topical news. Heide Park wants to announce more information about "Colossos" during the day. To not miss any news, refresh this page regularly!

Never been soo happy to be wrong :cool:

I am a little shocked... I wonder if it will return as we know it, that bit isn't clear and I guess might not be made clear at this stage.

Excellent news, I am a little surprised as I thought Merlin would just scrap it but I believe that the overwhelming feedback from the public is that they want Colossos to stay. This is a very costly project and will represent a high CAPEX for them in 2019.

PS. @Robert Jones - that news is worthy of a triple post so I'll let you off! ;)

:)

I am a little shocked... I wonder if it will return as we know it, that bit isn't clear and I guess might not be made clear at this stage.

It'd be good if they did alter it, given that awful helix and general ride...

Given that they've only said it'll reopen, we can assume that this stage is just looking at how they'll reopen it, and how much RMC would cost them...

Well I never thought I'd see the day when Merlin - smegging MERLIN! - had more respect for wood than Blackpool. Great news. Maybe one day I'll actually get round to visiting the park now.

Well, a little bit of faith has been restored in Merlin.

It'll be interesting to see if they rebuild it... "better", that way they can also reopen it as a new attraction, like Colossos v2 or summat.

As far as I am aware, Colossos will be re-opening as it is and will certainly not be getting any RMC treatment.

Official annoucement video from Heide:

Anyone care to translate? :p

Confirmation that it is indeed staying though with a re-opening in 2019.

EDIT:

Sounds like they did consider a hybrid coaster as a replacement but opted against that.

Last edited:
Fantastic news! Honestly didn't expect that they'd keep it. I wonder if this rebuild will come at the expense of a new coaster?

Based on Krake being perhaps the dullest B&M of all and Flug also lacking any serious thrills, I think it's safe for Heide to bring back a solid, thrill coaster than spend millions on another half-arsed attempt.

Regardless, excellent choice and I look forward to going back and riding it.

An article has been written up based on the video, and here is the translation:

Colossos: Wooden roller coaster in the Heide Park Soltau is being renovated

Soltau - Colossos is being renovated. The wooden roller coaster of the Heide Park Resort in Soltau is scheduled to revolve again from the 2019 season. The renovation will cost 12 million euros, said managing director Sabrina de Carvalho at a press conference on Thursday.

It was a big project for Heide Park, the manager continued. The Merlin Group has decided that Colossos must return. "It is a flagship of the park and has a worldwide reputation," said de Carvalho. For many, this is the main reason for visiting the resort.

The wooden rail will be replaced 1: 1. The dismantling of the rail alone would take several months. According to the managing director, the production of a new rail will take about six months. A hybrid model with a steel rail was also considered, but the nostalgia factor is so large that a wooden rail should be used.

Why did Colossos stand so long?

Since July 28, 2016, the fastest wooden roller coaster in Europe, according to the park, is already standing still. The immediate shutdown of driving justified the operator with the unexpectedly poor condition of the rails of the scooter coaster. After extensive research, it is clear that the special rail must be replaced along the entire length, said Bastian Lampe, Technical Director Rides, in December.

The scope of the repair work is almost equivalent to a new construction of the plant. Lampe speaks of a timeframe of about two to three years and a financial expense of a multi-digit million amount. The procurement of the special wood needed for the rail would take months.

So all of the rails are being replaced at a cost of €12 million! I wonder if it will be Intamin who carry out the work?

In other news, like Alton Towers, Heide Park are offering a season pass in 2018 for just €46 (the same price as a one day ticket). And like the Alton Towers season pass, Heide's has a large number of exclusion dates including the one and a half month period from 28th June to 8th August!

And on Facebook they are claiming to have Germany's largest collection of rollercoasters. Did no one tell them about Europa-Park?