• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Height and planning limits over the years

JamesDLD

TS Member
I've just watched some old footage of Alton's coasters, and noticed that the Corkscrew was painted to blend in with the trees, yet the Thunder Looper rose above the skyline.

Wouldn't the ride have been visible for miles around?

Here's the video in question.

I believe that is why Thunder Looper had to go. They were forced to remove it :(

Hey, nice topic! From what I've gathered, the Thnder Looper only had a temporary planning application anyway, but also there aren't manny homes that way - the closest are at the entrance. If I'm not mistaken, the most homes are near Oblivion as from the top of Oblivion, you can see homes so surely they can see Oblivion, no?
-L.A.T

>>Edit - Sazzle >> Please take care when posting on the forum - spellcheck your posts if possible, as other members may find your points hard to understand. Many thanks :)

Thanks guys, very interesting.

I've often wondered the same thing, LoveAltonTowers. You can clearly see homes up on the hill in the distance, yet these are some way away. I shouldn't think these people care too much.

I had a theory that the Thunder Looper was leased to create the Thunder Valley. I think Alton knew that it would be a bad idea when they got it but couldn't back down. It did the job but arguably lead to the creation of the best themed area at Alton Towers.

From what I've heard not many houses are close to the Valley so it must of echoed a lot with the hills and be seen by walkers.

Maybe if it was in X-Sector the Ropers could of gone it would of received more complaints.

I believe the Thunder Looper was actually forced to go on noise grounds, there was some bizarre business about a nearby farmer claiming that the constant dull roar of the ride was messing up the menstruation cycles of his cows.

Sam said:
I believe the Thunder Looper was actually forced to go on noise grounds, there was some bizarre business about a nearby farmer claiming that the constant dull roar of the ride was messing up the menstruation cycles of his cows.

I have to say I thought it was sheep tbh.

And I think you're probably right Stelios, I think the park realised fairly quickly it was a bad decision, since it was the first ride that really stirred up a vocal opostion, and from further afield (I believe it bothered people in Alton more the Denstone, due to the noise travelling across and through the Valley.

In many ways though it's removal paved the way for the addition of two of the best themed flat rides out there.

Didnt Mark say at that birthday event that the Thunder Looper was never meant to be permanant when they installed it anyway?

djtruefitt said:
Didnt Mark say at that birthday event that the Thunder Looper was never meant to be permanant when they installed it anyway?
I think he did, yeah. :)

djtruefitt said:

I wouldn't exactly call 6 years temporary though.

I take it people have spotted the high points of Rita are green - and werent up until a couple of weeks before it opened.

oldgitben said:
I take it people have spotted the high points of Rita are green - and werent up until a couple of weeks before it opened.
Or as most people (read: non enthusiasts) say: 'is that where they replaced the track cos of like an accident?'