• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hotels...

Should the hotels be...

• Leave as they are as they don't need anything doing ??

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Have a total refurbishment but, close to make it quicker ??

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Have a total refurbishment but, remain open ??

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Have new furnishings and a general tidy up ??

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Spruced up with a lick of paint ??

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
I personally think that they need a total refurbishment and they are looking old and a little run down, I have been going every year since they opened and have enjoyed immensely staying at both hotels...

Bar maybe the ATH bathrooms (which are in a worse state than many Premier Inns) I think that the hotels look great. Many people argue that changes that have been made within them are negative but I think that the hotel management team have done a great job in keeping the resort side of Towers up to date and well-maintained!

Although over-priced the hotels definitely do have a feeling of magic within them and are fantastic places to stay. I certainly do not think they need a massive overhaul, rather that they need a third hotel to compliment what is already there.

I think the idea for a 3rd hotel is a good one. I've stayed in both SLH and ATH a few times and I do like them both, and agree there is a certain magic about them. I think the staff are very good and the hotels are run very well.

I think they could do with a bit of an overhaul, just to give a new spring in their step. It would at least feel like the inflated price you pay to stay would be going towards your hotel experience.

Personally i think a few cosmetic changes would be enough to extend the life span of the hotels with relatively little cost.

ATH definitely needs more attention the Splash though in my opinion. the rooms at splash are still in good shape and not to tatty, just a couple of little touches up here and there and the place could last another 6 or 7 years i recon.

ATH however is 16 years old. while generally in good shape in communal areas, the rooms are starting to show their age, dated looking furniture, tired decor. a progressive program of redecoration would be enough to make the hotel feel fresh again. they do however need an updated bathroom! as people have said already the ATH bathrooms are in a pretty bad way now, refitting them with a loose connection to the ATH theme would do the rooms a world of good.

DaveW said:
Personally i think a few cosmetic changes would be enough to extend the life span of the hotels with relatively little cost.

ATH definitely needs more attention the Splash though in my opinion. the rooms at splash are still in good shape and not to tatty, just a couple of little touches up here and there and the place could last another 6 or 7 years i recon.

ATH however is 16 years old. while generally in good shape in communal areas, the rooms are starting to show their age, dated looking furniture, tired decor. a progressive program of redecoration would be enough to make the hotel feel fresh again. they do however need an updated bathroom! as people have said already the ATH bathrooms are in a pretty bad way now, refitting them with a loose connection to the ATH theme would do the rooms a world of good.

Yeah, I must admit I can understand why people may feel a bit 'short changed' when staying in the hotels. More so ATH. When paying a premium price, you want to get a premium product. I don't think the current standard of rooms deliver this.

The main public and reception areas of ATH are fine, it's when you start to venture into the corridors that you begin to realise how dated it is - the wallpaper is interesting to say the least, then theres thoose horrible light fittings above the doors of the rooms with the plastic type grill and then a floursent strip light underneath!

I did notice on my last visit though they had replaced a couple of these. This consisted of replacing the grill with a bit of wood and 2 LED spotlights we're inserted into it. It did look a lot more modern, so it kind of suggest they were trialing it out to see how it looks.

Again, the rooms are a perfect size, they just need decor which makes them feel warm, cosy and inviting whilst still retaining some magical charm, but bringing them more up-to-date!

The problem with an overhaul is that it runs the risk of losing what is left of the 90's charm - most likely replaced with a stale Holiday Inn type feel.

The quality image of the hotel has already been damaged to an extent with cheap refurbishments such as laminate flooring and stripy furniture (this was more late Tussasuds than the current management though).

Some of the recent changes have been improvements, others not. The new themed carpet was a step in the right direction but it hasn't been consistent across the hotel.

:)