• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How high is your personal roughness tolerance on roller coasters?

Mack fall into the consistently uber smooth category as well. Icon is definitely the smoothest coaster I've ridden so far, and all their coasters are smooth in some way. :)
I’d personally say that Wilde Maus XXL is very rough, but I think that’s more down to the nature of wild mouse coasters than anything else. Those rides are not rides I tend to enjoy much at all due to the nature of them, although I admit that Wilde Maus XXL is a tier above the rest due to the sheer size and pace of it.

Besides that, I’d mostly agree; Mack coasters tend to be very smooth and comfortable on the whole, perhaps barring the odd rattly section on some of their older creations! But besides Wilde Maus XXL, I think I am yet to ride a Mack coaster that is unbearably rough or uncomfortable in any way; they are for the most part very comfortable, rerideable rides!

Mack fall into the "consistently uber smooth" category as well. Icon is definitely the smoothest coaster I've ridden so far, and all their coasters are smooth in some way. :)

Agreed. I'd probably say Mack are close second for my tastes.

Be interesting to see how the RMC's age too. Admittedly I haven't ridden too many as yet but I have loved the two I have done so far.

Blackpool have too many now.

- Grand National is a no go for me these days. It's just horrible and I refuse to ride it.

- Big One is getting there too due to the restraints. I'm 6ft 5 so my legs are long and those restraints are brutal. It's just a rattling mess these days.

- Funnily enough Big Dipper I don't find too bad. It's a bit rough, yes, but it's definitely manageable.

- Infusion is fine if you are on front row I find. The further back in the train you sit the worse it gets.

- Revolution isn't great on the head/shoulders either.

- Add to that Steeplechase which has the ability to hurt pretty much every part of a person's lower body due to the weird seating position and taking the corners at unnatural speed

- Add to that Steeplechase which has the ability to hurt pretty much every part of a person's lower body due to the weird seating position and taking the corners at unnatural speed
Ah yes, I find Steeplechase pretty painful as well. It reminds me a lot of a wild mouse coaster, but somehow less comfortable; probably my 3rd to least favourite coaster at Blackpool (potentially overall) behind Grand National and Infusion.

I'm amazed it still passes modern day safety regs tbh. Once the novelty of the riding position wore off as a kid it became a ride I often skipped.

I personally find Rita's restraints absolutely terrible for someone like me who's 6ft 3in. It hurts your shoulders so much being snapped around that first bend and the back row is definitely rough. I have problems with junior coasters sometimes when i shamefully get kiddie coaster credits because of their restraints but that's just my long legs:p. Grand National is definitely the roughest coaster in the UK and the Big One needs more retracking on the turnaround and the first drop because of back row problems. The Ultimate is rough but i find it comfortable as it doesn't have the flipping OTSRs it used to have!

I personally find Rita's restraints absolutely terrible for someone like me who's 6ft 3in. It hurts your shoulders so much being snapped around that first bend and the back row is definitely rough. I have problems with junior coasters sometimes when i shamefully get kiddie coaster credits because of their restraints but that's just my long legs:p. Grand National is definitely the roughest coaster in the UK and the Big One needs more retracking on the turnaround and the first drop because of back row problems. The Ultimate is rough but i find it comfortable as it doesn't have the flipping OTSRs it used to have!
I probably won't try Rita then as I'm just a little shorter than you (6ft 2) :p

Ultimate would be ok if it didn't have the infamous Valley Run section.

I probably won't try Rita then as I'm just a little shorter than you (6ft 2) :p

Ultimate would be ok if it didn't have the infamous Valley Run section.
You can't say that. The valley run is the reason how they accidentally built the world's longest coaster. I honestly prefer The Ultimate to Rita because of the restraints and i get way more airtime on the Ultimate whereas Rita is rough and has zero airtime maybe?! Like @Benjsh said above it will be interesting to see how RMCs age especially as they've been rebuilt from old wooden coasters like Dinn's coasters which are pretty old! Apparently, Mean Streak was very rough before it's appointment with RMC but i never got to ride it!

Rita definitely has airtime. The only coaster I've ever found to be too much is The Ultimate, but I'd like to try it again since I had no idea what to expect the first time I did it.
It was the other way round for me; first time I rode Ultimate it wasn't too bad and I went on it a few times. However, when I rode it last year it was so rough I genuinely worried about concussion and only did it once. The first section is ok but the second section is so painful. Must've been a different train, and both times were in the back car as I was accompanying a group of autistic teens on both visits.

Last edited:
It was the other way round for me; first time I rode Ultimate it wasn't too bad and I went on it a few times. However, when I rode it last year it was so rough I genuinely worried about concussion and only did it once. The first section is ok but the second section is so painful. Must've been a different train, and both times were in the back car as I was accompanying a group of autistic teens on both visits.
The blue train was the rougher one but you can't really tell now tbh!