• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How Important Are Enthusiasts?

Harv

TS Member
I was just wondering, in the grand scheme of things, how important to theme parks are enthusiasts?

I know it varies from park to park, but overall, I'm sure that the enthusiast has to count for some percentage of annual guests within a theme park - albeit small, I'm sure that the enthusiast communities' online presence combined with these gate figures make this minority group of some importance.

I just wondered if anyone with insight could explain whether we're generally seen as a help or hindrance, and whether certain parks rely upon and recognise the enthusiast community more than others?

Sorry if these seems a silly topic, I was just genuinely interested.

Pretty much all the other members will be able to give you a better answer than me! But...my first thought was about the Marmaliser. I think the fact that AT included a washing machine in this shows that they at least pay attention to the enthusiasts!

Amy_D said:
Pretty much all the other members will be able to give you a better answer than me! But...my first thought was about the Marmaliser. I think the fact that AT included a washing machine in this shows that they at least pay attention to the enthusiasts!

And the other nod in the baggage hold area, wont ruin it for those who haven't noticed it yet!

TheMan said:
Amy_D said:

And the other nod in the baggage hold area, wont ruin it for those who haven't noticed it yet!

I was going to mention this but wasn't completely sure that it was a nod to the enthusiasts!

And yes, that's a good point about merchandise! The members of this site seem to have bought a lot!

Minimally

Enthusiasts are needed in the creative teams (Wardley is one), but really no park needs geeks. Some will acknowledge the passion of their biggest fans but we make up such a small number that parks really don't give much of a damn.

Our only vaguely useful roll is we make good word-of-mouth marketing but our reach is minimal.

I guess the only way we could really know is if we asked Alton Tower to answer the question.

But for example, just having this website full of info, photos (especially of construction and historical subjects like those in Talbot Street), opinions and reviews will persuade a good few people to go, regardless of whether everything is positive or not. If there's no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to the crap printed in the papers and shown on BBC's Watchdog, I guess this website and others can't really hurt! :p

There's also a number of enthusiasts that actually work at the park too, don't forget!

The enthusiast sites have a reach, and obviously TT, ATA, TN and us come quite high in a google ranking. I suppose the best example on enthusiast reach is if you take our member base that a few weeks ago hit 1000 IF every one of them persuaded 5 people to go to Alton Towers who normally wouldn't then that would add an extra 5,000 guests to the park.... That's not even half of a moderately busy days numbers.

Even if you assume that all 7000 TT forum members are active (TT stopped culling inactive memberships a while ago) then the numbers still only equate to 2 moderately busy days worth of guests. Enthusiasts also can be a thorn in their side as geeks often effect their marketing strategies, leak information and troll them on social media.

Before Crabbe came to the park Towers made it very well known that they did not like or want to interact with enthusiast sites. That opinion has mellowed but its not because of any business benefit for the resort. They simply wanted to show a bit of friendship towards their fans (something that has not always been reciprocated but that's another story).

One place enthusiasts massively help theme parks is when they get employed by them, not all geeks make good theme park staff and if some geeks got into management god help the parks :D but those geeks who have good management or creative skills who get into the relevant jobs always seem to be the best at that role, ie: John Wardley.

A lot of theme park enthusiasts do get into the park management for Merlin so in some ways we hold a bit of power. On the other hand, we do make up a small but vocal minority.

It's a two way thing. Whilst our numbers are small, parks are sometimes either keen to embrace their fan sites or try to completely ignore them. Take Phantasialand which seems to want to shun any enthusiast group or Europa Park which goes out of its way to please coaster groups of any size.

If we held no power, the parks would never release any information or tidbits for us. Take Thorpe Park Mania for instance which has less then 2000 members and yet the park regularly offers free Extra ride time sessions, behind the scene tours and infrequently answers questions members may have. The flip side of that is Theme Park Review which seems to have a monopoly over parks (somehow) and parks fall over themselves to offer buffets, ERT on every rollercoaster and more.

Keeping on good terms with the enthusiasts can often provide free publicity as well, take Expedition Ge Force which had the banner saying it was voted the worlds best roller coaster or the restaurant at Islands of Adventure which proudly says it is regularly voted Americas best theme park restaurant.

So really what I am trying to say is.. we are unimportant but keeping us on side can give rewards, no matter how small.

Bob said:
If we held no power, the parks would never release any information or tidbits for us. Take Thorpe Park Mania for instance which has less then 2000 members and yet the park regularly offers free Extra ride time sessions, behind the scene tours and infrequently answers questions members may have. The flip side of that is Theme Park Review which seems to have a monopoly over parks (somehow) and parks fall over themselves to offer buffets, ERT on every rollercoaster and more.

Thorpe Park Mania was set up by Thorpe Park and is official.

Dave said:
Bob said:

Thorpe Park Mania was set up by Thorpe Park and is official.

I can give you a firm guarantee it wasn't set up by Thorpe Park..