• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How many practical driving tests did you take before passing?

How many practical driving tests did you take before passing?

• Total voters
The old no learners on motorways restriction was likely put in place for the benefit of traffic flows on the road itself and not the learner. This then gave rise to the complete myth that they're some scary type of road that only experienced drivers can drive on.

Not only are they statistically the safest road type, with country lanes being the most dangerous, they're also by far the easiest. Fewer hazards, banked carriageways, gradual curves, grade separated junctions. Want to get off, just keep left next to the sign of the place you want to go to. By virtue they're specifically designed for motor traffic.

The day I passed my driving test, I went home and called some insurance company from the back of the local Trade-It to insure my 1.2 MK2 1984 Vauxhall Astra (that had brown tartan seats) and made my way to the M5 on the first day. Back in those days, young ladies were impressed with guys with cars for some unknown reason, even though there was nothing stopping them just getting a driving license of their own, so a young lady was often in the passenger seat.

Now, me and the Mrs argue over who's going to drive. I try and fob it on to her whenever possible. But she won't drive abroad and plays dumb on roads outside the region, lumbering me with all the long distance stuff like trips to Towers. Jokes on her, I get all the easy cruise control motorway stuff whilst she gets all the trickier stuff.

Now, me and the Mrs argue over who's going to drive. I try and fob it on to her whenever possible. But she won't drive abroad and plays dumb on roads outside the region, lumbering me with all the long distance stuff like trips to Towers. Jokes on her, I get all the easy cruise control motorway stuff whilst she gets all the trickier stuff.
There's a bloke at my work who shares his car with his wife. He will drive them both to work, then she'll drive it home. When he finishes, she'll be there waiting for him and then get out so he can drive it home, like there's something un-manly about getting a lift or whatever