• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

How many practical driving tests did you take before passing?

How many practical driving tests did you take before passing?

• Total voters
Second time.

First time i had no minors and 1 major.... driving too slowly. I was always speeding in my lessons so super aware of it during the test and was doing 25mph in a 40. Suffice to say was I very annoyed, especially as it was months before i could get another test booked.

I passed first time but probably shouldn't have. Similar to Rob I thought I'd failed and that relaxed me. In my case right near the start I turned left out at a junction having somehow not seen a car turning right from the road opposite me. I guess to the examiner it must have looked like I'd planned it and timed it to perfection but it was a total fluke. I was immensely surprised to be told I'd passed at the end of it.

I passed first time. I was lucky as my uncle was a driving instructor so he used to take me out all the time, day and night, in all weather, on all different roads to build my experience.

One memory I have from my driving test was joining a 70mph dual carriageway, and as I joined there was a horse drawn carriage being gently pulled along by a single horse and a coachman without a care in the world. My examiner broke the silence and said "That's something you don't see everyday!"

Whilst it is interesting to see the spread of attempts people took to pass, it needs to be taken very subjectively. So much is down to luck on the day and specific circumstances. A friend failed his test twice - once because of roadworks on a spiral roundabout when he couldn't work out which lane he was meant to be in and once because an idiot was driving aggressively, flashing lights and using his horn behind him.

Every test is unique and it isn't a level playing field.

Another thing, if on an attempt at parallel or reverse bay parking, you don't have just one chance to do it. If you've got angles wrong can just say "I'm going to start again" and that shouldn't be a problem.

Granted things change in nearly 14 years. But given the state of some drivers out there certainly shouldn't be an issue.

Another thing, if on an attempt at parallel or reverse bay parking, you don't have just one chance to do it. If you've got angles wrong can just say "I'm going to start again" and that shouldn't be a problem.

Yep i did exactly this on my pass. Because i'd waited so long for a test i found one in another location i was unfamiliar with. As soon as the test started he took me into a bizarre car-park with diagonal spaces for a reverse bay! So i just said "sorry, i'm a bit nervous as i've never been here, i'm going to start again" which was fine.

Another thing people don't realise is you won't fail the test just for going the wrong direction. If you accidentally end up in the wrong lane at a roundabout or junction, just go that way instead and the examiner will reroute. The worst thing you can do is try and cut back across to the lane you should've been in.

Passed first time. In the later stages of my driving lessons we had some double-lessons so we could spend a decent amount of time around the area they do the tests (the test centre was a 15-20 minute drive from home). I did spend most of the test thinking I'd failed, it was an area I was unfamiliar with so I had no idea where I was in relation to the test centre. I remember thinking "I must be about halfway through this now, surely I've failed" then suddenly I realised I was turning back into the test centre car park.

Another thing people don't realise is you won't fail the test just for going the wrong direction. If you accidentally end up in the wrong lane at a roundabout or junction, just go that way instead and the examiner will reroute. The worst thing you can do is try and cut back across to the lane you should've been in.
This was why I assumed I had failed early on - they gave me a direction and I went the wrong way, but I went the wrong way "correctly" i.e. correct lanes etc. for the route I had taken, so they just pointed out they'd meant a different exit but that it didn't matter, and they rerouted.

My 1st time was a disaster but it was my own fault couldn’t afford lessons and going out so kept cancelling lessons so I had 2 or 3 major faults.
The next time really was stupid part of my back bumper was on a crossing I should have waited to it was clear in front.
My 3rd attempt after buying my mums car and going out more often than twice a month I knew it was my last chance as if I had failed I would had to find another driving instructor as I was his last student before retiring and I would have had to take my Theory again but I passed with only 3 minors.

Passed first time but probably shouldn’t have. I passed a few weeks after my 17th after doing a 2 week intensive course. I live in a town with practically no big crossroad junctions and lots of roundabouts. A few years later in a different town I came to the realisation I had no idea how to deal with big crossroads junctions. (You know the sort with filter lanes and traffic lights). Completely confused me.

Can’t remember much about my test apart from rolling back a bit on my hill start (felt like several feet but was probably only a few inches). Was convinced I’d failed but the examiner told me I’d rolled back in a safe manner.

About ten years later I trained to be a driving instructor and had to completely relearn how to drive again. Only did it for a couple of years and didn’t really enjoy it. I do remember the frustration and disappointment when somebody who you knew was a safe and competent driver failed their test. It really is largely down to luck on the day.

Failed first time, I forget why now but I passed the second with only two minors so I was really happy with that.

I don’t think it really matters how many attempts you take to pass, pasing first time doesn’t make someone a better driver than someone who passed the 5th time, there’s lots of reasons why a perfectly good driver might fail the test.

Imo you learn the basics and mechanics of driving with lessons and then once you pass the test you learn a lot more through experience on the roads. Mainly how many idiots there are.

Failed first time, I forget why now but I passed the second with only two minors so I was really happy with that.

I don’t think it really matters how many attempts you take to pass, pasing first time doesn’t make someone a better driver than someone who passed the 5th time, there’s lots of reasons why a perfectly good driver might fail the test.

Imo you learn the basics and mechanics of driving with lessons and then once you pass the test you learn a lot more through experience on the roads. Mainly how many idiots there are.

I was always baffled that motorway driving wasn't part of the test. I know it's statistically the safest type of road but they can also be quite daunting and it's very apparent how many people have no idea what they're doing.

It’s good learners can now go on motorways with instructors, but it should compulsory and not optional.

When I learned it was illegal to go on motorways, so I did an extra course with my instructor after passing (think it was called Driving Plus) to ‘learn’ motorway driving which helped my confidence greatly. I think it needs to be something that’s taught and maybe a part of the test, given every driver will go on a motorway at some point in their lives.

On some motorways in the UK it feels more dangerous than town or city driving.

I never realised how odd the numbering system is on the motorways. Presume it's a historical quirk of existing roads being updated. But yeah, bit of a conundrum as you say actually implementing it as part of the test process.

I know plenty of people that simply won't drive on motorways as they never had enough confidence.

I’m half tempted to ask my instructor for a motorway lesson if I eventually pass my test. I do feel like going on the motorway with her, or at very least with someone else sat beside me, would be beneficial and would make me feel less anxious about my first drive on the motorway. I’d rather not do it for the first time when attempting some big long journey on my own!

I won’t be passing just yet, though. I now know for certain that I won’t be in the “passed second time” club either… for the last 2 weeks or so, I’ve actually managed to keep the secret from the internet that my second test was today.

I failed once again… I got 2 majors and 6 minors. To me, the drive felt absolutely terrible, and far worse than my first one, even though I actually got fewer minors than I did the first time. My main problem, as diagnosed by both my instructor and even the examiner herself, was that I was incredibly anxious and tense. I had wound myself up into a right flap before even getting in the car.

My anxiety meant that I committed my first major within seconds of the test starting… I scored a spectacular own goal by pulling off with my handbrake on. When I pulled off, the car was flashing and beeping at me and it was driving weirdly, but I was too flustered to realise why. The examiner then informed me that I’d left my handbrake on, and I then broke sharply out of panic to turn it off. I pretty much knew instantly that I’d failed… the handbrake being left on was a major, but surprisingly, the sharp braking was only a minor. I’ve driven countless times now, and I think that’s the only time I’ve ever tried to pull off without turning my handbrake off…

My other major came towards the end of the test, when I encountered a parked lorry with its hazard warning lights on. I went to go around it, and just as I was coming out, another lorry turned into the road and had to wait for me… so I immediately got a major because they had to stop for me.

Reassuringly, though, the examiner did tell me that the rest of the drive was “not bad at all”. She said that I “can clearly do it”, but that I need a way of dealing with my nerves. My instructor agreed, and suggested that before my next test, I try taking Rescue Remedy 3 times a day for a week to help calm my nerves. She said that Rescue Remedy has really helped some of her previous pupils who’ve suffered with test anxiety.

Despite the encouragement from the examiner and my instructor, it is still utterly demoralising to have learned for so long (I’m now up to 21 months of learning!) and failed two tests…

I’m half tempted to ask my instructor for a motorway lesson if I eventually pass my test.

When you pass, not if buddy. You'll get there!

Definitely worth doing the motorway lesson with your instructor, if nothing else it gives you a reduction in your insurance (allegedly), which is needed now more than ever.

In terms of the anxiety, i don't know if you have any conditions/medical history etc so far be it from me to be an internet doctor but there are temporary medications for that which still allow you to legally operate a vehicle if that's a path you wanted to go down in the short term.

My anxiety meant that I committed my first major within seconds of the test starting… I scored a spectacular own goal by pulling off with my handbrake on. When I pulled off, the car was flashing and beeping at me and it was driving weirdly, but I was too flustered to realise why. The examiner then informed me that I’d left my handbrake on, and I then broke sharply out of panic to turn it off. I pretty much knew instantly that I’d failed… the handbrake being left on was a major, but surprisingly, the sharp braking was only a minor. I’ve driven countless times now, and I think that’s the only time I’ve ever tried to pull off without turning my handbrake off…

My other major came towards the end of the test, when I encountered a parked lorry with its hazard warning lights on. I went to go around it, and just as I was coming out, another lorry turned into the road and had to wait for me… so I immediately got a major because they had to stop for me.

Setting off with the handbrake on - while it counts as a major, it's something most people will do occasionally, I catch myself doing this more often than I'd like to admit and takes a few seconds to wonder why the car's not responding as normal to notice. Mine does have a light but don't think it beeps which might explain it... however, if this happens again after you've passed, that's not something in itself to worry about too much - once you notice just take the handbrake off, no need to stop or slow the car.

Your other major is just pure luck. For some reason "slowing down other road users" counts as a major on the exam, even when it's a case of bad timing e.g. someone else appearing after you've committed to overtaking the lorry, or even if you pull out into a 30 limit, quickly get up to 30mph but the person behind coming along speeding at 50mph has to slow down.

Focus on the fact it was otherwise a good drive and you can do this!

Used to set off with the handbrake on quite a lot in my last car...often didn't use it being on the flat and an auto...just shove it in park.
My shed volvo doesn't move an inch with the handbrake on...never had a handbrake like it.
Keep plugging away Matt...you will get there mate.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the amount of tries it takes you. I know it sucks, it feels awful even, but if you keep pushing you'll smash it. Anxiety is horrible, do you have any doubts about taking Rescue Remedy? I've no experience with it myself however it does seem to be rather reliant on the placebo effect.