• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland 2018

Matt, your parents have quickly become two of my favourite contributors to this forum.
Umm... thank you very much! I'm sure they'd be pleased to know that, but unfortunately I don't really have much else to use in terms of anecdotes! Are you suggesting I use them less often?

So I watched a video on YouTube of five train, five car operation. The average dispatch interval was 37.7 seconds (the operations are amazing). That averages out at 95 dispatches per hour. 20 seats per train. Take away a couple empty seats per cycle. 18 guests/train, 1,710 per hour. 1,710*9. So unless I've got something wrong, an hour of peak operation brings in 15 thousand pound.

Don't mean to undo your calculations mate but they mostly tend to run a 7 car train at WW with 2 or 3 trains, could be wrong but don't think I've seen it there with 4 or 5. Either way there's alot of money being taken!
Back row of the 7th car has high g's round them loops. 6.5G if I remember rightly

Thanks very much for the info @speedy!

I'm from the South West of England, near Bristol; so roughly a 2 hour trip away from London! When I talked to my dad about Winter Wonderland, his response was "Sounds like something to fleece foreign tourists out of lots of money to me! I'm afraid you're going there on your own!". I personally think the event looks brilliant, but my parents beg to differ...

One of the main draws of the event for me would probably be Munich Looping and the other coasters, as all the stuff like ice skating doesn't appeal to me that much currently and I don't want to drink alcohol when I'm older, so the rides would probably be the main draw for me!

In part, I agree with your Dad, but it's free entry and you don't have to spend anything. It's worth the train trip to London just for Olympia though. It's just incredible for a travelling coaster.

Don't mean to undo your calculations mate but they mostly tend to run a 7 car train at WW with 2 or 3 trains, could be wrong but don't think I've seen it there with 4 or 5. Either way there's alot of money being taken!
Back row of the 7th car has high g's round them loops. 6.5G if I remember rightly
Yeah when I was there they were running seven car trains. There is a video of five train, 7 car operation but the 5 train 5 car came up first. I think it was running 4 when I was there in the evening? Not sure

I don't want to drink alcohol when I'm older, so the rides would probably be the main draw for me!

Hahahaha. Oh Matt. That's very easy to say when you're a kid without a care in the world. Wait till you've got bills, a mortgage to pay and you have to work everyday. You'll soon realise beer is your friend then.

Hahahaha. Oh Matt. That's very easy to say when you're a kid without a care in the world. Wait till you've got bills, a mortgage to pay and you have to work everyday. You'll soon realise beer is your friend then.
I don't plan on it; I've never tasted it, but I don't like the smell. Most alcohol smells a bit too strong for me! Besides, I don't like the thought of being drunk and we've been taught too much in school about the consequences of drinking for me to want to drink!

Anyway, on a more on-topic note; when does the event begin this year?

Genuinely don't think I'd visit WW if it wasnt for the beer and food, it's a tremendous booze up.

Also anyone visiting this year - check out Wingmans. The best chicken wings you will ever eat in your life! They were near the huge creepy Bavarian animatronic last time.

I went to a chicken wing festival and Wingman had a huge queue all day and won the prize for best wings.

Plenty people don't drink alcohol, there are other methods of relaxation that don't kill your wallet and health simultaneously.
:)

Everyone enjoys things differently (I don't drink at all); but there's zero helpfulness in being bloody sanctimonious about the whole thing...
I'm not being sanctimonious, sorry if it came across that way. I was just expressing an opinion that is different in defence of Matt N, nothing wrong with that.

I just can't get my head round why people drink alcohol, but it's a free country and if people want to drink it then that's their choice :)

I just can't get my head round why people drink alcohol

Well, as long as Seaworld Parks keep giving it away for free... ;)

Anyway, Winter Wonderland. Er, here it is! :D

winter-wonderland-in-hyde-park_winter-wonderland-in-hyde-park-image-courtesy-of-winter-wonderland_308c99a9ddcee2753011956c102d9911.jpg

Got a ticket for the charity night so very much looking forward to visiting Winter Wonderland for the first time, well unless you count the one in Stoke.

Coasters for Winter Wonderland 2019, list found on themepark.nl:

CRAZY CLOWN "Family Coaster" [Buwalda,NL]
EURO COASTER "Euro Coaster" [Buwalda,NL]
ICE MOUNTAIN COASTER "unknown" [Mellors,UK]
MÜNCHEN LOOPING "Olympia Looping" [Barth,DE]
RACING COASTER "Racing Coaster" [Manning,UK]
SANTA'S FLYING SLEIGH "Family Coaster" [Buwalda,NL]
SANTA'S SPINNING COASTER "Spinning Coaster" [Manning,UK]
THE SNOWMAN RIDE "Mini Caterpillar" [Holland,UK]
WILDE MAUS XXL "Wilde Maus XXL" [Eberhard,DE]

I still think it's a bleeding rip off. Could spend £100 there within couple of hrs very easily. And for anyone from the North (me) or not a stone's throw from London....you've got travel and accommodation costs to factor in. It's what always puts me off visiting. I can go to Phantasialand or Efteling for what it would cost to visit WW.