• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

IAAPA 2012

I think you're forgetting that it was Arrow who built that ride, and this is B&M we are talking about. Let's compare Dragon Khan's current state to, say, the Big One's - not a difficult one to decide which is smoother even after 17/18 years is it?

A bit rough maybe but wasn't Steel Phantom ranked as one of the top coasters on the planet (above Nemesis from what I've heard) even before they changed it? Sure Phantom's Revenge is better but as far as failed attempts go I'd put Steel Phantom as one of the best, just behind Eagles Fortress.

Anyway this is B&M we are talking about not Arrow. Arrows approach to putting inversions in their larger coasters was to take their standard loop and put it at the top of a hill.
Another reason why inversions can be a problem is the need for heavier trains but as most B&M trains are really heavy anyway I can't imagine that being a problem either.

Also, although Steel Phantom had a 200ft plus drop, it was basically just a standard Arrow looper tacked on the end. I'd like to see B&M do something with truly massive inversions.

Alpengeist, Mantis, Chang/Green Lantern, Dominator all have some pretty huge inversions. Gatekeeper looks like it's going to have some big inversions as well.

There's not much point in making a bigger loop than the one on Dominator, really. It'd be a bit silly if I'm honest. :p

BigAl said:
Alpengeist, Mantis, Chang/Green Lantern, Dominator all have some pretty huge inversions. Gatekeeper looks like it's going to have some big inversions as well.

There's not much point in making a bigger loop than the one on Dominator, really. It'd be a bit silly if I'm honest. :p

If you had a drop of over 200ft then you definitely could, and it would look absolutely monstrous. What would be even better would be another inversion element instead of a loop straight after the drop - perhaps a giant cobra roll, that would look particularly imposing.

I don't doubt that it's possible, I just question whether people would care. :p Alpengeist is only 5ft away from 200ft. Making that 5ft taller wouldn't make a world of difference but it'd push the price of the ride up.

Look at how expensive Kingda Ka was. They made it slightly taller than top Thrill Dragster but people who ride the two usually prefer TTD. The higher you go with a ride, the more it costs because it needs to be safe against the elements, be strong enough to stand up properly and it obviously requires more materials.

I think a 250ft B&M with loops would look good, but would the ride experience, besides any massive drops, be really a lot better than a smaller looper that's only a 150 foot tall, or something?

I agree with what you are saying BigAl but I think what I'd hope for with a 200ft+ looping coaster would be to have the first half as a normal hyper coaster then as the ride loses speed later (most hyper coasters downfall) it could make up for it with a more standard looping coaster layout.

You could even take that a step further and have a Hyper Wingrider that rides like a hyper coaster but then midway through hits the block breaks, slows almost to a standstill then flips into the first drop of The Swarm, followed up with a normal Wingrider layout. Now that would be impressive.

BigAl said:
I don't doubt that it's possible, I just question whether people would care. :p Alpengeist is only 5ft away from 200ft. Making that 5ft taller wouldn't make a world of difference but it'd push the price of the ride up.

Look at how expensive Kingda Ka was. They made it slightly taller than top Thrill Dragster but people who ride the two usually prefer TTD. The higher you go with a ride, the more it costs because it needs to be safe against the elements, be strong enough to stand up properly and it obviously requires more materials.

I think a 250ft B&M with loops would look good, but would the ride experience, besides any massive drops, be really a lot better than a smaller looper that's only a 150 foot tall, or something?

I think so, Dragon Khan's first loop feels very different to its second more compact loop or the loop on Dæmonen. It's a much more drawn out sensation and it allows you more time to appreciate the fact that you're upside-down and miles above the ground. It gives the inversion a sense of occasion and just makes it seem more epic. A loop that was 50ft taller or so would only enhance these characteristics.

I think that a massive, drawn out, floaty loop would really suit B&M's current direction. I really enjoyed the lofty inversions on Swarm and the huge, airtime filled hills on Shambhala so a coaster that combines the two would be brilliant.

602656_10151285668723566_1139736956_n.jpg

30284481.jpg

There is also a mechanical zombie bull. Maybe an addition for next years Scarefest?

374432_10151285505063566_852008788_n.jpg

Roland Mack's IAAPA presidency draws to an end. :(

Europa Park said:
Roland Mack draws positive balance IAAPA as president of the World Association for the leisure industry
Industry continued to strengthen growth engine for economy / More than one billion visitors annually / standardization of safety standards and environmentally friendly leisure facilities as central themes / European position

The President of the World Federation of the leisure industry IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) sees a positive development of the world's theme park industry. On the occasion of the official handover to his successor, Will Morey in Orlando (Florida), said Roland Mack: "Our association has grown together even more and we have key strategic objectives, such as the standardization of international safety standards, the development of high environmental standards for recreational facilities and the strengthening of the regions achieved within the industry association. I am also proud that we were able to advance the position of the European leisure industry much stronger. "

As the first German Roland Mack was elected president of IAAPA. He is also the first president in nearly a century of IAAPA history, who is also a manufacturer of amusement rides and major fleet operators. The one-year term ended on 13 November 2012. Roland Mack has been for many years on the board of the industry association active. Before his presidency, he was vice president three years and will continue to remain active on the board. During his tenure, Roland Mack visited theme parks and events throughout the world and the IAAPA was impressed by the performance of this industry.

Annually over a billion visitors

With over a million people, about one billion visitors annually and a total turnover of over 30 billion U.S. dollars to the theme parks have developed into a major industry. IAAPA deals worldwide as the International Association of Amusement companies with all aspects of the leisure industry. Approximately 4,500 companies in over 90 countries, including more than 1,000 well-known theme parks are represented in the organization. The objectives of the IAAPA focus not only on improving the safety, effectiveness, marketing and profitability of its members but also to the fact that the true connected leisure companies in the best possible standards in the leisure industry and continue to expand.

Roland Mack: "The leisure industry is a global growth engine. In Asia, especially in China produced numerous theme parks and drive growth. New parks to grow in Southern and Eastern Europe. Examples: Russia, Ukraine. Especially countries that are developing economically more have high demand for recreational facilities. "

IAAPA trade fairs worldwide run almost never

Organized by the IAAPA trade fairs, for example, in Hong Kong, Orlando and the first time in Berlin, were so busy as ever. The interest in the leisure industry continues to grow, so observers of international experts.

According to Roland Mack, the approximately 300 European amusement parks in 2012 invested more than 400 million euros to join to make new experiences and attractions, there is just German engineering demand worldwide. In the United States and Central Europe, however, the market is largely saturated. So it would be in Germany hardly new theme parks. The investment requirement is too high to operate such a new park economically stressed the outgoing IAAPA president. The existing park would develop but constantly in order to survive in international competition.

Innovations and investments ensure success

Theme parks are increasingly becoming a short break destination and not compete with the next recreation destination, but with successful international destinations. Amusement promote sustainable tourism development of regions. In the major international theme parks today meetings and overnight stays have become essential. Also deals for the whole family and not just for the very young are well established and have a future, so the assessment of the owner and founder of Europa-Park in Rust near Freiburg. Roland Mack: "One of the most common goals of the industry: All bids must always be again interesting and attractive for many people as possible. This is only possible with constant innovation and investment in new products and quality. "

Anti-racism declaration together with Euro Europe

As one of the highlights of his tenure as President called IAAPA Roland Mack jointly signing an anti-racist statement with the Euro Europe in Strasbourg in October 2012. The euro Europe in Strasbourg and the International Association of Amusement Industry IAAPA, headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia (USA) sit in this joint declaration against racism and discrimination against people of different cultures.

The Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Thorbjørn Jagland and Roland Mack, signed the joint appeal in Strasbourg. Jagland: "It's great that an entire industry prescribes this as elementary key destination for people to live together. We are very happy to partner with Roland Mack and the World Association IAAPA. "

Roland Mack: "Both institutions have been working for many years against racism, so it stands to reason that we join forces and pursue that goal together intensively. The euro is Europe is exemplary for decades for this socio-politically very important topic. We should take every opportunity to help that person with respect. The collaboration with the Euro Europe is due in no small to the vision of Secretary General Jagland. "Euro Europe, based in Strasbourg, has 47 member states and includes almost all European countries. The euro Europe represents more than 800 million people. He was born on 5 Founded in May 1949 to develop throughout Europe common and democratic principles.

Something I've noticed so far from IAAPA regarding the future of the coaster industry. If we didn't know it before we can now be sure that the future is in 4D coasters.

S&S already do 4D coasters and revealed new concepts for this using magnets to control the 4D spinning.

B&M didn't rule out doing a 4D, saying it would depend on cost and budget. I'd say for B&M, that's confirmation that they at least want to develop it.

Then when Intamin were asked about what the future is if speed limits are being reached, they brought up the ZacSpin and said how they would be able to deploy this concept on a "proper" coaster with a lift, twists and turns; ie a 4D coaster.

Seems to be a big theme of thought at IAAPA this year, and something I thought was worth posting about.

:)