• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

If you could re-theme Th13teen?

LewisNavex

TS Member
Favourite Ride
EuroSat
Here's an interesting one for you. If you had to re-theme Th13teen, what design would you go for? Consider the crypt section and how it can be transformed. Also consider Rita, would this have to be re-themed or removed?

The best idea I could come up with is a winter themed trek through a Forrest in which you eventually you venture inside a cave section of a mountain (The Crypt), in which an avalanche occurs, dropping you free fall into deeper depths of the mountain, resulting in a reverse escape out of the mountain. Obviously Rita would have to be removed, however a winter themed area seems a nice habitat for some flat rides or maybe even another coaster!

I can also dream of an Expedition Everest Yeti in the mountain, but I don't need telling i'm asking for to much ;)

Expedition-Everest-Yeti-783404.jpg

I think the theme suffices. I would just bring in the original planned ruins around the outside part of the track, waterfalls, more "forest" and then bring the girl, crypt, cult-type religion and the wraiths into a story to make it all link.

I feel Th13teen's theme just needs to be made stronger with a back story and more focus on this strange cult religion hidden deep within the crypt.

Mattiaaa said:
I think the theme suffices. I would just bring in the original planned ruins around the outside part of the track, waterfalls, more "forest" and then bring the girl, crypt, cult-type religion and the wraiths into a story to make it all link.

I feel Th13teen's theme just needs to be made stronger with a back story and more focus on this strange cult religion hidden deep within the crypt.

I'd go with something like this too.

If possible, I'd have had the whole second part of the ride enclosed from the bottom of the second lift-hill all the way back to the station. No need for the shutters then.

The story would be the girl went missing and the legend is that she accidentally journeyed to purgatory and is still there now, awaiting judgment.
You go on that same journey, travelling along the abandoned rail-track (first part of the ride) then find yourself in the crypt where the wraiths judge as to whether you should be sent to hell or returned to earth. And luckily, for you, you get dropped into another realm which takes you back to earth. Just before the backwards bit, the girls voice could be heard saying 'Don't leave me!'

Not as I've given this any thought or anything :)

I must be one of the only people to like 13's theme. I like the mystery behind it, the suspense in the queue as you meander amongst trees. I will admit it needs more foliage, and perhaps some more ruins?

I don't know if it's just me, or have you ever considered the similarities between Hex and 13? Both involve trees and forests having magical or unknown abilities, both use scaffolding and excavation as background theming. In fact when I went with people who weren't enthusiasts, they were keen to tell me how spokily similar they are.

Maybe that's just me?

I completely agree with Mattia about the need to tighten up the theme and back-story, and the proof of this i feel is Sub-Terra that failed when the story wasn't told well but massively improved for guests once that was rectified.

The only thing i would say is complex stories don't work on roller coasters (unless its an IP), but i would very much go with mattia's ideas. I always felt though that the Th13teen girl works better as a malevolent character, maybe someone who was taken by the forest but slowly bent to it's evil ways.

R9pOc.jpg

^ My truly awful go at 'retheming' TH13TEEN's station. :D

As a rough idea though, I would swap the 'brick' effect the building currently carries and swap it for a rock effect similar to what the food outlets used to have. Next I would give all the wood parts of the station a lick of red or blue paint to match UG Land's old colour scheme. All traces of scaffolding would be removed (one less part of the park to have any ;) ) Also the inside of the station would become a 'cave' with a giant dinosaur fossil (in a humorous UG Land style) across the wall on your left as you come down the steps. The lights in the station could all be swapped for 'lanterns' instead. The tesla coil could be kept, but the room that it is situated should loose the vines, and gain bones leant against the walls (in a new rock effect instead of brick), I'm sure they've still got those huge dinosaur bones somewhere! ;D Additionally in the queue, theming would be kept simple but effective, yet more dinosaur bones and fossils lie on the ground, and perhaps some references to the 'Thunder Rock Rally'.

The ride soundtrack could be pretty much the original UG Land soundtrack, as it would suit the attraction (and give us a bit of nostalgia). TRRR could play across UG Land though as before. The track could be altered in the station and the tesla coil area to sound distant as if the cave is 'echoing' the music.

The 'crypt' could be altered, as when you go into the crypt at the top you pass under the ribs of a dinosaur, the lighting scheme would be changed from the current green/blue to earthy browns and orange/yellow. The first teaser drop would now include the sound effect of a dinosaur with added water effect as if it was spitting on you, then adinosaur roar would sound, before you plummet to the floor below. In this floor, you appear to have gone 'underground' with dripping water sound effects, and possibly actually water running somewhere. There would be rock effect walls which would shake and move (akin to Thunder Mountain) you would then reverse out as normal.

I would give the ride cars a 'wooden' effect. This lends to the story that a group of cavemen have discovered and series of underground caverns (yes, i realised it sounds a lot like Sub-Terra) and the mine cart is giving you a tour, until, as usual with any Alton Towers attraction, something goes wrong and you drop into a previously unexplored cave.

Overall I think the ride would be perceived much better as the focus would shift to being a family thrill instead of something that is hyped up to being scary, but leaves people disappointed.

ryanlovesaltontowers said:
R9pOc.jpg

^ My truly awful go at 'retheming' TH13TEEN's station. :D

As a rough idea though, I would swap the 'brick' effect the building currently carries and swap it for a rock effect similar to what the food outlets used to have. Next I would give all the wood parts of the station a lick of red or blue paint to match UG Land's old colour scheme. All traces of scaffolding would be removed (one less part of the park to have any ;) ) Also the inside of the station would become a 'cave' with a giant dinosaur fossil (in a humorous UG Land style) across the wall on your left as you come down the steps. The lights in the station could all be swapped for 'lanterns' instead. The tesla coil could be kept, but the room that it is situated should loose the vines, and gain bones leant against the walls (in a new rock effect instead of brick), I'm sure they've still got those huge dinosaur bones somewhere! ;D Additionally in the queue, theming would be kept simple but effective, yet more dinosaur bones and fossils lie on the ground, and perhaps some references to the 'Thunder Rock Rally'.

The ride soundtrack could be pretty much the original UG Land soundtrack, as it would suit the attraction (and give us a bit of nostalgia). TRRR could play across UG Land though as before. The track could be altered in the station and the tesla coil area to sound distant as if the cave is 'echoing' the music.

The 'crypt' could be altered, as when you go into the crypt at the top you pass under the ribs of a dinosaur, the lighting scheme would be changed from the current green/blue to earthy browns and orange/yellow. The first teaser drop would now include the sound effect of a dinosaur with added water effect as if it was spitting on you, then adinosaur roar would sound, before you plummet to the floor below. In this floor, you appear to have gone 'underground' with dripping water sound effects, and possibly actually water running somewhere. There would be rock effect walls which would shake and move (akin to Thunder Mountain) you would then reverse out as normal.

I would give the ride cars a 'wooden' effect. This lends to the story that a group of cavemen have discovered and series of underground caverns (yes, i realised it sounds a lot like Sub-Terra) and the mine cart is giving you a tour, until, as usual with any Alton Towers attraction, something goes wrong and you drop into a previously unexplored cave.

Overall I think the ride would be perceived much better as the focus would shift to being a family thrill instead of something that is hyped up to being scary, but leaves people disappointed.
O
I. Love. You.

Except it wouldn't be called TH13TEEN!

Haha Cool_boy_jon, I just couldn't think of another name to call it, and I agree TH13TEEN would not suit it in the slightest!

I'd also just like to add, at the moment I hate the whole theme of the Dark Forest, and it seems so bland, boring and unhappy. Whereas UG Land before it was a bright and energetic place to be with lots of colour and music playing. I used to love original UG Land and Thunder Rock Rally era UG Land, they both had nice themes, and compared to the Dark Forest + Rita theme now the Ug Land + Rita clash could be laughed at, at least an attempt was made to blend Rita into Ug Land giving it a place, instead of it just having no reason for being in the dark Forest. :-\ Can you tell I miss UG Land :D