• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

'I'm size 22 and tried Alton Towers' rides to see if I could fit in their seats'

I’ve had to get off Colossus once because I didn’t fit - I’m overweight, not ridiculously so but because I’ve got a bit of a rugby player kind of build, being overweight makes me not fit on certain rides (thankfully Colossus is the only one it’s ever resulted in me not being able to ride).

I’ve also been unable to go on a couple of zip slides due to being over the weight limit

I took that as a sign to lose weight and eventually did.

It isn’t rocket science and nobody owes you a favour. It isn’t Alton Towers’ job or anyone else’s to accommodate people who are seriously overweight.

I do have sympathy and I do accept that it isn’t always easy to lose weight, mentally I found it very tough to get on the right path (and far easier once I’d crossed that threshold,) but never blamed any of the people organising the things that I wasn’t able to do for the fact that I wasn’t able to do them, it was my fault for drinking beer and eating crap all the time.

To be fair to her she doesn’t seem to be complaining all that much about it?

What I would say is that it’s really important that the staff handle these issues sensitively - my problem on Colossus (and on some other rides where it’s been borderline,) is getting the seatbelt to connect as they’re quite short,) I can get the restraint to lock but not always connecting the belt. I’d queued about 2.5 hours for nemesis inferno and couldn’t quite get the seatbelt to click in, it was fairly obvious that someone standing up (the ride-op), would be able to so I asked him to do so and the response I got was ‘I’ll do my best,’ now it didn’t bother me, he tried, it connected so as was fine and me and my friends had a laugh about it but if that was someone a bit more mentally fragile it could be quite damaging. I can’t remember too much about the Colossus incident as it was years ago but I do remember it not being handled at all well.

Difficult as you’re often dealing with teenagers with minimal training but at the very minimum the parks should be training people to handle it sensitively.

Last edited:
It's OK when it's individual restraints. One of the scariest experiences I've had was at Universal on the Jurassic Park ride. It's not a white-knuckler, but there is a big water-drop on it at the end. There's a bench-like seat to sit on that fits 4 comfortably, and just one lap bar across everyone.

The final day we were there was really hot and really crowded. The queue for JP was twice as long as when we'd been one a few days previous. The four of us were ushered onto our 'bench', but the staff were just squeezing people in to get the queue moving faster. This enormous bloke waddled towards us, must have been 30st. The staff member guiden him to our bench and told us to bunch up. We did, he plonked himself down, and the bar came down. All the way to his belly. I'm pretty fit but not small - 6' and 15st (back then was more muscle than fat!) and there was almost a foot between me and the bar. My two daughters could barely reach the bar to hold it. I gave a look of incredulity at both the guy and the staff member. At the least the large bloke had the grace to grin and mutter "sorry!"

I spent that ride with one hand on the 'lap' bar and an arm around my youngest. Both the girls said they felt like they almost fell out of the seat on the drop.

It was a genuine safety hazard. I don't blame the big guy, but the staff member trying to cram people in and creating a potentially dangerous situation.
Exact same thing on the pirate ship happened at Drayton Manor, was riding with my 5 year old brother and then a very large woman for seated with us, with thighs much much bigger than either of ours.

Poor kid felt like he was going to fall out I did hold him the whole time because there was a mountain of room between him and the lapbar, he rode apocalypse for the first time that day and the pirate ship was the ride he found by far the scariest.

Good that the lap bar can accommodate more guests just think maybe they could be a bit more careful so all guests feel secure whilst riding.

Exact same thing on the pirate ship happened at Drayton Manor, was riding with my 5 year old brother and then a very large woman for seated with us, with thighs much much bigger than either of ours.

Poor kid felt like he was going to fall out I did hold him the whole time because there was a mountain of room between him and the lapbar, he rode apocalypse for the first time that day and the pirate ship was the ride he found by far the scariest.

Good that the lap bar can accommodate more guests just think maybe they could be a bit more careful so all guests feel secure whilst riding.
The lap bar isn't intended to hold you down, it's to stop you from leaving your seat.

I’ve had to get off Colossus once because I didn’t fit - I’m overweight, not ridiculously so but because I’ve got a bit of a rugby player kind of build, being overweight makes me not fit on certain rides (thankfully Colossus is the only one it’s ever resulted in me not being able to ride).

In the case of not being able to ride Colossus, your weight has done you a favour.

In the case of not being able to ride Colossus, your weight has done you a favour.
Hahaha I’ve been on it tonnes of times before!

Was quite funny as my friends came off all saying ‘ah, it wasn’t that good,’ as if the thing I was worried about was missing out on the ride not the humiliation of the walk of shame!

I am size 4xl in t-shirts due to bodybuilding and qued for the Smiler for 3 hours and the restrainer would not click to a safe level over me unfortunately.
No test seat for it only for Oblivion which according to the Alton Towers website can fit up to 52 in ch waist which is about size 3xl at a push.
If my belly had been level with my chest then I think I would have made it at a push but hope that helps for other bodybuilders and big guys out there wanting to try their luck on the best coaster in the country.

I am size 4xl in t-shirts due to bodybuilding and qued for the Smiler for 3 hours and the restrainer would not click to a safe level over me unfortunately.
No test seat for it only for Oblivion which according to the Alton Towers website can fit up to 52 in ch waist which is about size 3xl at a push.
If my belly had been level with my chest then I think I would have made it at a push but hope that helps for other bodybuilders and big guys out there wanting to try their luck on the best coaster in the country.
Did you manage to ride Oblivion or just try the test seat?

As The Smiler has a 54" restriction so is in theory less restrictive than Oblivion.

Always good to know your actual measurements though not just the S/M/L/XL sizing.

Did you manage to ride Oblivion or just try the test seat?

As The Smiler has a 54" restriction so is in theory less restrictive than Oblivion.

Always good to know your actual measurements though not just the S/M/L/XL sizing.
I have been on Oblivion before when I was much younger and leaner but unfortunately I wouln't make it into that either Im sure based on the test seat, just gutted Ill never get to experience the Smiler or maybe even Nemesis re-opened unless I shrink a bit.
I can still do the scare mazes however so all good.

Saw a guy have to do the walk of shame on Rita at the weekend. Felt sorry for him as the queue was very long at the time.

You are correct about the inches though and not just t-shirt size , the problem is if the whole of your front is not within 54 inches including your mid section then the restraint wont reach enough, also broad shoulders wont help either

Yeah Rita and Wicker man are even smaller than Obilvion and Smiler , hope that helps

@Federal J

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, it must have been so frustrating in those circumstances.

Height and bulky shoulders are the real killer when it comes to rigid OTSRs unfortunately. I'm tall, chunky and overweight (still, alas, but going in the right direction) but even when I was a healthy weight I would either have a very loose restraint around the tummy or incredibly compressed shoulders; Ripsaw was one I had to stop riding long before I'd got fat because it was very borderline whether it would engage sufficiently or not and if it did it was incredibly uncomfortable.

My friend is massively obese and currently shedding weight after a stomach bypass. I am so hoping that he loses enough to come along next year to experience his first rollercoaster so I read the article with interest in understanding how/if he might be able to ride. It sounds like at this stage he would not fit in any of the seats. Should seat sizes change? No. There are no extra large seats on planes either.

A far more important discussion is about enabling people with other physical/mental disabilities to ride. Sometimes just a change in park policy can make the difference between a physically disabled person being able to ride or not. On the few occasions that I'm in the station and the place grinds to a holt to let on a disabled person it fills me with joy to see the sense of accomplishment on the faces of these people when they get a send off and return to the station.

Should seat sizes change? No. There are no extra large seats on planes either.
Massive false equivalence. For the vast majority of 'walk of shame' victims it's nothing to do with the size of the seat, it's to do with the restraint. On planes there is just one flexible belt which cabin crew are able to add an extension to for particularly large-waisted passengers; they simply don't need larger seats to accommodate all except distant outliers in terms of size. (And by the way, non-budget airlines do famously offer a range of seat sizes for a cost...)

This is very different from an OTSR which has to hook over a guests shoulders and then come in to contact with multiple sections of their torso.

For what it's worth I also don't believe there is a case to change anything with existing ride hardware, but I do think it's reasonable to expect parks to do more to make their range of seat types (and who might fit in them) better understood. In general restraints have become more accommodating of larger sized guests in the last 20 or so years, for obvious reasons, and that can only be a good thing.

People are getting bigger - and it's a huge oversimplification to only look at obesity as the single cause of this; there's also more people bodybuilding now than ever before, as well the average height of people going up. I'm hoping to not need the bigger restraints with a little more lost weight but my chunky shoulders aren't going anywhere, nor is the length of the torso they are attached to. As I said even when my weight was low enough to not be considered overweight in BMI terms there were already rides I could no longer enjoy due to these attributes; that shouldn't be the case IMHO.