• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

I'm So Nervous...

bex

TS Member
I have been to alton towers on many occasions and i have been on thirteen and air and nemesis. I was wondering whether to go on oblivion and rita. I will go on the smiler. I am just scared of oblivion..... What do you guys think? :) :twirly:

bex said:
I have been to alton towers on many occasions and i have been on thirteen and air and nemesis. I was wondering whether to go on oblivion and rita. I will go on the smiler. I am just scared of oblivion..... What do you guys think? : :) ;) :D ;D :mad: :( :eek: :cool: :/ ::) :p :-[ :X :S :* :'( >:D :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly: :twirly:

I think Oblivion holds the most amount of fear for me of any ride at Towers. I still wonder what I'm doing on it as I go up the lift hill lol!! (I have vertigo, it's not the best for rides like that).

It will scare you. First time especially. That's what makes it such a fantastic coaster, but once you hit that drop, you remember exactly why you went on it. It is absolutely fantastic and for me is still THE most thrilling section of coaster track in the park.

It's brilliant.

Rita also is fun. Great launch, fantastic thrill, very under rated I love it. Front seats especially. I use it as my "coffee" to wake me up nicely.

Basically, enjoy them, don't miss them! Oblivion especially is an absolute masterpiece.

I think if you dont go on it, we are all going to point and call you a girl.

.... oh hang on.... you are a girl.....lol

Nah seriously - its fab. The drum and bass in the station, the suspense, the wait at the top and then the drop. Its just exhillerating. No matter how many times I go on it, I still LOVE the feeling as the brakes release at the top. No other ride in the park can compare to it.

And I agree about Rita - I love it - front row is great, but also try the very back. Gives a great feeling as you hit the top of the ride and swoop down the other.

If you have been on Nemesis, you will be fine on Blivy and Rita.
They are all completely different from each other, but Nemesis is longer than both of them, and to be honest, I find Nemesis much more intense than Oblivion. Rita is more intense on the launch, but after that, it is fairly tame. Oblivion is fine. It is quite scary, but only because of the build-up. The actual ride lasts about 10 seconds, and so will be over in a flash if you don't like it. Rita is similar, the only intense bit being the launch. Just force yourself to sit in the seat, pull down the restraint, and don't think about anything until the train has left the station.

If you are scared of Oblivion, sit back-middle, and just keep your head back on Rita.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, I felt like this before I went to Alton Towers for the first time, I was terrified of Rita! I loved it, and as long as you get on the ride, you will have a great time ;D

Your all completely right i mean i might be going next saturday. i have been 3 times already and i look at the drop and think holy mackerel cheese balls and i chicken out of it so this time may be my last so i am going to man up take my heart out of my stomach and go for it. What have i got to loose?

Just remember that Oblivion is perfectly safe, and that everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment. The Lord of Darkness even said so himself.

Although train 2 appears to have gone missing, and didn't come out of the hole...

Used to be terrified of Oblivion. I think the tip to actually getting on it for the first time is t entirely ignore the drop until you're on the ride.

When I was about your age and Oblivion opened, I chickened out. I spent the next year regretting it, and when I finally got to go on it (I still needed dragging on by a mate) I was terrified. But the worst part of it is in your head. The whole ride is a masterclass in how to scare people with something that turns out to be fun.

Even us seasoned old timers who have been on it hundreds of times still have a "what the hell am I doing on this thing?" moment at the top of the lift. Learn to embrace that fear, because the more coasters you ride, the less scares you, and a lot of rides get rather boring. The fear is what gets your adrenalin going! ;)

bex said:
Your all completely right i mean i might be going next saturday. i have been 3 times already and i look at the drop and think holy mackerel cheese balls and i chicken out of it so this time may be my last so i am going to man up take my heart out of my stomach and go for it. What have i got to loose?

Honestly..... Mackerel cheese balls would be a hundred times worse than going on blivvy

You really have to go on Oblivion, it's still the biggest single thrill on offer on any coaster in the UK !

It sounds like a really crappy ride when you describe it, a lift hill followed by a single descent followed by a banked corner in to the brake run, but in reality it's fantastic !
It might be a one trick pony but it's one hell of a pony !

I rode it four times today during ERT, and it's one of the few coasters where it's as thrilling each time you ride, no matter how many times you do.

I was saying to my mate earlier that if when you're suspended on the brake above the drop you had to push a button yourself to release the car into the oblivion it would be really hard work to force yourself to do it !
But don't let that put you off, you won't regret it.

Thanks for your encouragement but i need to clarify is it really that high as the only way i can get over my fear of heights....

bex said:
Thanks for your encouragement but i need to clarify is it really that high as the only way i can get over my fear of heights....

The ascent to the top feels steep if you have a fear of heights, but in fairness, I hate heights as I mentioned, but I LOVE the view from the top across the Towers - on Scarefest it's magnificent! Because it's a hole, it doesn't feel as high actually. I mean yes, it's high lol, it's a big roller coaster, but not how you may think. It's another piece of the sheer brilliance of the design.

It's like Nemesis in that, you couldn't really make that ride, any better with anything else. It's pretty much perfect for that ride.

bex said:

It looks tall, but really isn't. When you are up there, you cannot see the ground until you actually get to the bit where you hang over the edge. And that lasts about 3 seconds. If you have been on air, dangling above the ground face down for about 2 minutes, Oblivion will be easy. It looks intimidating, but really, is just a lot of fun.

You won't regret it. If you don't go on it, you will.

Is it as high as it is looking up?

The honest answer is yes, as it's the same height looking up as it is looking down, but admittedly, it does feel very high when you're up there, considering what is about to happen.

I'm not helping am I?

From the top of the lift to the [visible] ground, it only feels slightly taller than The Smiler. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Oblivion's lift hill is only about 60ft high. So nothing compared to other rides on park, although it it slow and drawn out to build the fear, looking at the towers is very calming. Try focusing on them! But on the drop I can just say its very exhilarating! Just let the ride take you, spreading out your arms and legs makes it more fun!

thanks guys. so to sorta change the subject what were your first ever experiences on rollercoasters like mine was a big old wooden coaster that creaked when you went over it. That was scary for a 3 year old :D

Please discuss the points that are relevant to the original topic here. If you have another, separate topic idea then create a new one so that the different discussions can be tracked by users more easily.

Thank you :)

bex said:

is it a fear of heights or a fear of falling. I work out a few years ago that I had a fear of falling from height. This has made thing easier for me to tackle the fear.

If you fear is more a fear of falling from height, then of heights. then when on Oblivion just repeat in your mind, "I am safe, i am strapped in." then at the drop take a deep breath and take in the experiance.

Love it or hate it, Oblivion is a experiance you got to do at least once in your life.