IMAscore

Discussion in 'Corner Coffee' started by skyscraper, 12th Jul 2020.

1. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Seeing as IMAscore have been so phenomenal in the last few years and there hasn't been a proper, appreciative thread on TS, here it is.

Great Big World was teased on the recent IMAdiary video, and they released a taster of all the tracks the other day. :)

I honestly can't get enough of IMAscore, has anyone else got the "I love theme park music" t-shirt? Had mine for a few years now.

Spookle15, Matt N and Rojo like this.
    Posted 12th Jul 2020
  2. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I really like a lot of IMAscore's music. Their style fits theme parks pretty well, and there's some absolute corkers out there: the Helix and KÄRNAN soundtracks spring to mind. However, they are too "you'll know it's us" a lot of the time, as in a lot of their tracks you can notice samples from others that they've produced.

Posted 12th Jul 2020
  3. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

Totally agree Burbs, their motif is getting a bit "oh that's IMAscore" and takes you out of the immersion sometimes. I end up with that John Williams effect of blurring any 90's film theme in my head on most IMAScore themes.

That being said the (2015?) Fireworks theme was pretty special for me. The last section of the ride theme mash up and ITHOTMK ending gives me goosebumps all the time.

Posted 12th Jul 2020
  4. Spookle15

Spookle15 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Big Thunder Mountain
    I've only really become aware of them in recent months due to TPWW videos. Didn't know I have been listening to their music at AT.

I like what I have heard though and intend to listen to more of their scores.

If they are getting like John Williams with their similar themes then that's a great compliment. The master is allowed to reuse pieces here and there, I guess they can too!

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 13th Jul 2020
  5. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

They have music in theme parks?
    Done Icon a thousand times...couldnt whistle the tune!

Posted 13th Jul 2020
  6. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Well Icon's theme isn't IMAscore ;)
    (Still epic though)

Posted 13th Jul 2020
  7. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

They’re a good music producer for parks. What more needs to be said? They’re just a brand, they often use several composers some of which are freelancers I heard.

A lot of it is good but I find their music really overproduced a lot of the time, but then that seems to be the sound wanted out of them. I dont think it’s as charming or melodic. A lot of it is quite derivative too but whatever.

The name IMAscore was a sensation when they first came about because it was after a few years of pretty crumby soundtracks in the UK.

skyscraper and Islander like this.
    Posted 14th Jul 2020
  8. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

They've done some excellent soundtracks for the likes of Chiapas, Klugheim, the new ones at Toverland as well (Troy, Avalon, Port Laguna).

The Thorpe Park stuff, and the ambient pieces around Alton are great as well.

The issue with things becoming 'samey' is probably the same reason as the modern issue in films. Everything is done with temp tracks and the composer ends up following that because the director wants something that recreates that sound.

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 14th Jul 2020
  9. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Whilst they are excellent at what they do, I personally don't understand the fanboyism.

Good theme park music had been around for years before IMAscore. Nemesis and Colossus are the two standouts in the UK.

Islander and jon81uk like this.
    Posted 14th Jul 2020
  10. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Where they redo an old score, as has been the fashion in recent times, they don't improve it. They take something that has character and is impactful and turn it into a bland soundscape.

It's probably what they are being asked to do, so isn't really their fault, but I wish they'd stop it.

Islander and RicketyCricket like this.
  11. Spookle15

Spookle15 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Is there anyone on the forum where there is a list of people's favourite theme park music? Or just links to what people enjoy most? It would be interesting to actually hear some more theme park scores that are recommended, currently Disney and AT are what I know best.

12. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    This thread, although it's all music. https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/what-are-you-listening-to.158/

13. skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    For all you rock fans out there!

14. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Nice riffs, cheers skyscraper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyscraper likes this.
  15. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    My favourite IMAscore music is Mystic Timbers soundtrack, Helix Launch is just such a track, KARNAN is insane and Galactica is the best IMAscore soundtrack in the UK. Is Chiapas or Klugheim Imascore?

skyscraper likes this.
  16. John_P

Chiapas and Klugheim are both Imascore.

Big fan of the Avalon, Port Laguna, and the new one they did for Troy soundtracks.

17. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

There are jut so many soundtracks produced now it’s really hard to pick a favourite. I do really love Chiapas, but I also love the theme, area and ride overall. There’s some good towers and Thorpe tracks, then plenty of great Toverland tracks as well.

You have to admit they do produce some really good and really Memorable tracks.

18. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    In that case, Klugheim because honestly, Forces of the Earth is just out of this world!

19. John_P

I'd completely forgotten they did the Star Trek: Operation Enterprise theme as well which is ace.

20. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Just popping some appreciation in here for Katara's soundtrack.

Alsty, John_P, Dan and 2 others like this.