• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It won't open quietly - the community will easily get whispers that staff are being retrained, passed off etc, and all operation staff will be given heads up that they are being rostered to The Smiler. It may not get media attention, but we will know when it's going to reopen - if it does before end of season
But that is quietly then. If people in the community find out then fine - but I highly doubt it will be publicised in any way. To the general public it will just suddenly be open...

It won't open quietly - the community will easily get whispers that staff are being retrained, passed off etc, and all operation staff will be given heads up that they are being rostered to The Smiler. It may not get media attention, but we will know when it's going to reopen - if it does before end of season

I think what people mean by a 'quiet opening' is they won't advertise it. They won't promote it. Probably just put a banner on the website saying "the smiler will open tomorrow" and not draw attention to it

If it does open this season I expect it to be around 1 or 2pm on a quiet autumn weekday with no notice. We would of course have an indication beforehand, signs going back up for a start.

:)

Ive always thought, hoped and said that the Smiler would be running before end of season. Ive now changed my mind.
The ride will stay closed this year then come next March the park will open and I believe so will the Smiler, no big fan fair no big deal it will just be open along will all other rides.
Still not getting my hopes up that it will open this year, :(

Be the same whenever it opens. People will just go one day and find it open, no warning. Might open right at the end of the day so most people have gone. It will be on facebook iin seconds followed by millions of reporters, and everyone on here.

The media will pick up on it probably the same day it does open so Alton Towers have no incentive to a quiet opening other than out of respect for the victims of the crash.

Couple of questions:

1> Is there still a Prohibition notice on the ride?
2> Can it reopen at Merlins leisure?

No one knows, unfortunately that information isn't available in the public domain and far as I know there is no way to find out?

Couple of questions:

It seemed like Varney was hinting at reopening in the statement he gave, but they have the victims and court proceedings to think of

Couple of questions:

If the prohibition notice has been lifted then it can re-open whenever Merlin want. This is assuming that they have also met the terms of any improvements notices served. We should find out details of the prohibition notice within the next week.

:)

As far as I'm aware the HSE still have those two trains as they are still investigating

As far as I'm aware the HSE still have those two trains as they are still investigating
They will have the trains, it's unlikely they will ever return due to the damage. I take it no one has seen any testing or any activity on the ride recently? Can't wait to go at the weekend and take a good look

The two trains that were involved in the collision will most likely be replaced by brand new when/if the ride reopens (the old ones will likely be scrapped when HSE are done with them).

It's also possible the remaining 2/3 ride trains will be extensively refurbished or even replaced completely.

They will have the trains, it's unlikely they will ever return due to the damage. I take it no one has seen any testing or any activity on the ride recently? Can't wait to go at the weekend and take a good look
The only thing I've seen is the exit gate (to the steps up from the station) change between open and closed between trips

If they're doing anything at all to the ride at the moment it will be outside park hours so things stay 'quiet'.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.