• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The concerning thing is the 'crush'. If the front of the car did indeed crumple/buckle, it is potentially very serious. The coaster cars are surely designed such that this collision 'could' happen, and the body of the car should absorb the impact safely. If not, then this is surely something they'll be looking at.

The concerning thing is the 'crush'. If the front of the car did indeed crumple/buckle, it is potentially very serious. The coaster cars are surely designed such that this collision 'could' happen, and the body of the car should absorb the impact safely. If not, then this is surely something they'll be looking at.

I'd be interested to know how much planning goes into this. Coaster cars are certainly robust, but there's hardly a 'crumple zone' on The Smiler like there are in motor vehicles. A rubber buffer at the front and back of the car is as far as they seem to go. Take Nemesis for example... where is the impact zone there?

As Nick Varney alluded to, and many others would agree, this sort of incident just shouldn't happen. Cars crash all the time so are designed to withstand impact but rollercoasters... it's a different story.

Whether I believe this or not I dont know but apparently someone lost a leg...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-rollercoaster-collide-16-people-board.html
The lines 'Left hanging upside down' and this image:

e478fdd8693414a38d4a59320f7f2b46.jpg

Make me question the fact checking.

Indeed. Although given the language the ambulance crews are using, it sadly wouldnt surprise me if someone did lose a leg. The guy with the bloody face possibly, due to the angle of the train he would have had the worst impact, and what caused the bloody face, did his side crumple so much that his face hit the rear of the car infront....

A very sad day for Towers.

As for the Smiler..... I dont think the ride or its appeal will ever be the same again. Dare I say it, but maybe the name will be changed after this event.

I read on some site earlier (think it was The Telegraph) that their reporters had called the Gerst offices this afternoon and they were not even aware of the incident - they said to call back tomorrow morning when a full statement could be made.

I'd be interested to know how much planning goes into this. Coaster cars are certainly robust, but there's hardly a 'crumple zone' on The Smiler like there are in motor vehicles. A rubber buffer at the front and back of the car is as far as they seem to go. Take Nemesis for example... where is the impact zone there?

Wow, it's shocking to think of this in the context of Nemesis - if it had happened there instead.

The tabloids are going to love this. Parts of the Mail article are utter b0llocks and show they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

:)

Even by Sun standards, that's a total exaggeration. I wonder if this means an end to the Alton Towers tickets promotion that The Sun has? Can't see Towers tolerating that headline from a supposed business partner.

As Nick Varney alluded to, and many others would agree, this sort of incident just shouldn't happen. Cars crash all the time so are designed to withstand impact but rollercoasters... it's a different story.

Agreed.

The main thing that I can't fathom is how the rubber buffer must have essentially either not been large enough, or has crumpled itself such that there was enough force to then crumple the metal too. Will be interested in the report and what happens next.

Re. crush injury. As medical student, could be very serious - limb threatening (which according to the Mail is the case for one of the riders).

Unfortunately, on most coasters, the only "crumple zone" is the rider's legs. Because in theory it is impossible for two trains to collide. :/

Agreed.

The main thing that I can't fathom is how the rubber buffer must have essentially either not been large enough, or has crumpled itself such that there was enough force to then crumple the metal too. Will be interested in the report and what happens next.
I don't think the rubber buffers would have ever been designed to stop the cars crumpling in a crash at speeds of up to 50mph though.

I mean, let's be honest, in what situation would any of us have ever thought that a ride car (on any of Towers' coasters) would manage to crash into a valleyed car. As we all know, it should be impossible.

The stoppers on the cars are presumably there for the station/break run more than anything.

Agreed.

Re. crush injury. As medical student, could be very serious - limb threatening (which according to the Mail is the case for one of the riders).

Thats the thing - is that the purpose of the buffer. Ive always thought it was for low speed bumps ie moving cars into overnight storage, not high speed bumps.

I think taking into account the WMAS press release and the nature of the injuries were looking at something more than fractures. Only hope im wrong.

For what it's worth I don't think Gerst are actually responsible for the control system.

Either way it's a shocking incident that could have industry wide ramifications IF it is a bug in the control system.

Even by Sun standards, that's a total exaggeration. I wonder if this means an end to the Alton Towers tickets promotion that The Sun has? Can't see Towers tolerating that headline from a supposed business partner.
Merlin will be realistic in this instance, the Sun are of course a tabloid, they won't ignore something like this on the basis that there is some loose arrangement with Merlin that both parties benefit from.

A very sad day, indeed. Thoughts to everyone involved.

For what it's worth I don't think Gerst are actually responsible for the control system.
I think they're one of only a few manufacturers that do design their own control systems.

Reactions: Dar
I think they're one of only a few manufacturers that do design their own control systems.
Maybe, but Geering Engineering are claiming at least some involvement in The Smiler, as well as Firechaser Express at Dollywood.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.