• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In Merlin's September Trading Update, Nick Varney stated that Merlin have conducted their own internal investigation which they will soon publish the findings of, as well as highlighting that the HSE investigation may not be completed until next year, but their findings will be released in a public document.

Yet more positive action from Merlin it seems.

In Merlin's September Trading Update, Nick Varney stated that Merlin have conducted their own internal investigation which they will soon publish the findings of, as well as highlighting that the HSE investigation may not be completed until next year, but their findings will be released in a public document.

He said that the results of their own internal investigation would be announced in "due course", but it wasn't explicitly clear who to.

If Merlin release what they have found out.... Surely that's all anybody can hope for? As the HSE is just going to be exactly the same findings?

Certainly not, the HSE's report will certainly be damning in nature, with a number of lessons learned and recommendations for the industry etc.

Merlin's report will be more PR-staged for obvious reasons, while not being deceptive of course.

On social media the wording on the future of The Smiler has changed. I've noticed the past 24 hours at least Alton Towers replies have changed from "The Smiler will be closed for the foreseeable future" to "As you may have already seen we have said we would like to reopen The Smiler but the final decision will only be made after we’ve undertaken all necessary steps".

Could mean nothing but interesting nonetheless. It's a little more of a honest reply if anything.

Alton towers are damned if they do damned if they don't. So....it will open asap....with asap being the key phrase. Its a bit liken tesco's situation. A lot of negative press bit they still get a lot of custom and make a profit. All the right things have been said and done but only time will tell of they recover to previous highs

On social media the wording on the future of The Smiler has changed. I've noticed the past 24 hours at least Alton Towers replies have changed from "The Smiler will be closed for the foreseeable future" to "As you may have already seen we have said we would like to reopen The Smiler but the final decision will only be made after we’ve undertaken all necessary steps".

Could mean nothing but interesting nonetheless. It's a little more of a honest reply if anything.

Yeah I picked up on this on their post this afternoon. A definite change in wording from them.

They've been saying its closed for the foreseeable future...many people here chose to ignore the actual definition (which would mean they can't currently envision a date of reopening), thinking it was a cover for an imminent opening.

Now they're saying something different, they're believed all of a sudden?

Last edited:
My take on it is. They know what needs to be done, they are doing it, however they can not pin the completion of the test and clearance down to a set date.

Reactions: Tom
They've been saying its closed for the foreseeable future...many people here chose to ignore the actual definition (which would mean they can't currently envision a date of reopening), thinking it was a cover for an imminent opening.

Now they're saying something different, they're believed all of a sudden?

Well , what their social media staff are told to say comes from the top, and will follow rules, especially given what happened. You'd have noticed all the responses up to now have followed the same "guidelines" about it reopening, like when you call a call centre and they read off a book.

For them to now change their response, it is significant.

That was in response to my tweet asking them exactly how long the "foreseeable future" is :) I gave them no option but to respond with something different lol

What's significant is the word 'foreseeable'.

Yes, it has come from senior management, and yes it is not likely to be deceptive. It is likely they that haven't decided.

In any event, the first day of the main 2016 season is not yet known to us.

What's significant is the word 'foreseeable'.

Yes, it has come from senior management, and yes it is not likely to be deceptive. It is likely they that haven't decided.

In any event, the first day of the main 2016 season is not yet known to us.
Neither is the next 30 days of the season.

The world may end in this time.....this thread needs a ride opening to make it a) exciting b) worth reading.....days and days of looking for news when realistically we know nothing more than we knew in July.... Pffft

The remaining days of this season are quite literally foreseeable.
Something could happen (very unlikely) that forces the park to close early, for example if the crash happened on the last Tuesday of the season, by the time the park is ready to open again the season is done.

And yet the drivel just keeps on flowing...

Tell me about it.....feel like starting a rumour that it will open tomorrow will be renamed the shitter and the marmaliser will spray brown water at you....

Odd as we still all read it lol

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.