• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
these will have been sent to the printers months ago, i wouldn't read too much into it people! DON'T PANIC PEOPLE! Towers wont let us down, right?!?

Nemesis Sub Terra and The Flume are also not there either due to their closures, I don't see pictures of them at all though unless I'm being stupid.
They are in fact on the map, albeit rather small. :)

W5n9ABd.jpg

So, we already know sub terra and the flume are closed. I don't see "the blade" on there either (though it SHOULD be open.. unless towers are trying to tell us something). But putting "the smiler" on there and not the others would be a sign of it opening. It would make it seem opening is imminent, but if they had a issue that would delay opening (technical, weather etc...) then it would create problems for them. The GP wouldn't notice (unless it appeared on facebook) but the staff (I doubt they know when it's opening) and the enthusiasts will notice.

Edit: just realized the blade is on there...

The only positive is that the image of the track is still there and more prominent than the previously mentioned closed attractions.

Just to add some more unwanted and uninformed speculation; with it not being open today I also can't see them opening it on the busier Saturday and Sunday. I'm personally strongly predicting an opening on Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest (for what it's worth).

Just to add some more unwanted and uninformed speculation; with it not being open today I also can't see them opening it on the busier Saturday and Sunday. I'm personally strongly predicting an opening on Monday or Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest (for what it's worth).
Completely agree. I also don't expect it to open at the start of the day. When it does open it will be mid-week at 1:00/2:00 in the afternoon I would imagine. :)

I personally still think that the prohibitive order is still in place, hence work still being done on the Smiler. I would imagine only once the work is complete then the HSE will come to view the ride and not before. As mentioned in my previous post, this can still go either way. So in reality I don't think even Alton Towers know for sure if and when the ride will reopen, but as far as I'm concern they are working towards opening it soon.

I'd imagine that the wind measure, the e-stop buttons, and the additional cameras will be to remove the prohibition notice. The work on the marmaliser, however, will most likely be towers taking the chance to make the ride look new again.

Because it costs a lot of money to run and it was getting maybe 100-200 people a day.

Thanks, Wonder if this is the first step to change. Be nice to see something new and fresh in a part of the park that really doesn't have anything VERY new.

Thanks, Wonder if this is the first step to change. Be nice to see something new and fresh in a part of the park that really doesn't have anything VERY new.
From what I hear, it'll be open again next year, I doubt very much that it'll be replaced what with SW8 just around the corner....

*starts looking for a sat nav to get the thread back on track*

So, wind speed monitoring is in. Extra e-stops are in. Extra cameras are in,Testing is being done ( i am guessing training for new protocols is bing done was well), repairs to theming.
Now what else do you think could be needed before it is signed off as ready for human riding?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.