• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
But then taking the airline example, they don't rebrand do they? Taking both the major accidents of Air France (Rio to Paris) or the recent German Wings crash, one human 'error' and the other mechanical/software failure. Two high profile companies, very safe industry and people are still going to use them and realise that things are perfectly okay for 99.9% of the time. Yes, googling both comes up with their respective incidents, but I recently read on the internet (dangerous, I know) that google favours negative results as it drives clicks and ad revenue. The nature of the beast really. After two years of aggressive advertising, a rebrand would damage their reputation when people think they are coving up. Especially as everyone knows about 'The Smiler and its 14 loops, more loops than any other!' I think in this situation they can only find the cause and keep their heads held high about the professionalism that we saw in handling the worst.

they can keep the name, but the #getcorrected and you belong to the smiler will have to change I think. As for airlines some go bust after a big incident. Pan-am and lockerbie

I wonder if merlin will scrap the trains and replace them.
The trains will be retained as part of the investigation no doubt.

After that they will almost certainly be scrapped / destroyed. I would have thought that long term the park will have no choice but to buy new trains to replace them - they will be unusable in their current state.

I have a strong feeling everything will be done to salvage and repair the trains as much as possible, rather than scrap them and fork out for new ones. It'd be most likely cheaper to repair than invest, unless of course the trains are officially declared a write off pending the investigation.

I have a strong feeling everything will be done to salvage and repair the trains as much as possible, rather than scrap them and fork out for new ones. It'd be most likely cheaper to repair than invest, unless of course the trains are officially declared a write off pending the investigation.
I just assumed they might well be told they can't use them again - the back car which had the passengers particularly.

Equally there's a moral question on whether the park would want to let people ride in a car that was involved in the incident and featured horrible injuries on board? Obviously you wouldn't know whilst getting on but it would be a thought in people's minds... 'Is this the car that someone got hurt on?'

Actually, does anyone know the train IDs that were involved? IE Train 1, Train 2 etc.

I just assumed they might well be told they can't use them again - the back car which had the passengers particularly.

Equally there's a moral question on whether the park would want to let people ride in a car that was involved in the incident and featured horrible injuries on board? Obviously you wouldn't know whilst getting on but it would be a thought in people's minds... 'Is this the car that someone got hurt on?'

Quite frankly I hope new trains are sought after, as that would fully emphasise how serious the incident has been taken in the long run regardless of how easy/difficult it is to repair the current trains.

-

Whilst morally wrong, I'm sure there must be examples of ride cars/trains being repaired after accidents and put back into operation. If the trains involved in the accident can be returned to operation, I'm sure they will be without this factor being taken into consideration.

can't see them re-using either train to be honest, PR nightmare and will cost too much to repair and the HSE are likely to want them for a long time after the ride hopefully re-opens. I can see the cars being "upgraded" to help people feel more confident about going on the ride again, smiler 2.0?

Quite frankly I hope new trains are sought after, as that would fully emphasise how serious the incident has been taken in the long run regardless of how easy/difficult it is to repair the current trains.

-

Whilst morally wrong, I'm sure there must be examples of ride cars/trains being repaired after accidents and put back into operation. If the trains involved in the accident can be returned to operation, I'm sure they will be without this factor being taken into consideration.

The two monorails involved in the WDW crash a few years ago were salvaged to create one fully working one even though the monorail pilot died on it.

With human superstition, I wonder if the trains will be decommissioned, and the train numbers scrapped.
May be the trains will be sent off, fixed and given new numbers. however if it got out that the crash trains are back then it is a PR nightmare.

can't see them re-using either train to be honest, PR nightmare and will cost too much to repair and the HSE are likely to want them for a long time after the ride hopefully re-opens. I can see the cars being "upgraded" to help people feel more confident about going on the ride again, smiler 2.0?
Hopefully Merlin redo the marketing campaign and the trains and get people more confident, maybe add a bar like the Mine Train or something

I think the last thing the general public would want on The Smiler right now is a piffy little lap bar from a powered family coaster.

With human superstition, I wonder if the trains will be decommissioned, and the train numbers scrapped.
May be the trains will be sent off, fixed and given new numbers. however if it got out that the crash trains are back then it is a PR nightmare.
Probably.
I think the last thing the general public would want on The Smiler right now is a piffy little lap bar from a powered family coaster.
Good point, Danny. Do you think the press are over reacting about it? For example, The Sun: Towers of Terror and the Daily Star: Fun ride to HELL! Jesus christ.

Of course the press are over reacting, it's how they get their views. The more dramatic they make the stories out to be, the more hits their articles get and at the same time, they'll be competing with each other regardless of the fact that people have been hurt.

They may be some of the most informative people on the planet, but at the same time journalists can be some of the most repulsive monsters as well.

Of course the press are over reacting, it's how they get their views. The more dramatic they make the stories out to be, the more hits their articles get and at the same time, they'll be competing with each other regardless of the fact that people have been hurt.

They may be some of the most informative people on the planet, but at the same time journalists can be some of the most repulsive monsters as well.
Is the TS YouTube channel going to make a correct crash video will right information for people who are like WTF?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.