• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The cameras are dotted around the marmaliser and looking into the pit also on the building itself. it's all visible on the cameras.

Regarding the trains, I would image they could at least salvage one train from the two involved in the collision. The forward two cars of the empty train could be paired with the rear two cars of the full train to make a new set. These were furthest from the point of impact, so will have the least damage and be easily repaired. The remaining cars will need more replacement parts so could not return until next year.

The track should be fine, but will be checked for hairline fractures and so on. It had close to double the design load on it when the two trains hit each other, and if anything broke off the train it could have hit the track.

If it is shown to be human error, I don't think that the ride will be closed all season. More likely it will be reopen by the summer once the initial press has died down. The New Texas Giant reopened less than two months after someone fell from the ride and was killed in 2013, and that required the modification of all the train restraints.

^ Remember the New Texas Giant is located in the US and they are likely to have different health and safety laws over there which is why it was able to open again so quickly after the accident. I believe we in the UK have some of the strictest laws when it comes to things like this.

^ Remember the New Texas Giant is located in the US and they are likely to have different health and safety laws over there which is why it was able to open again so quickly after the accident. I believe we in the UK have some of the strictest laws when it comes to things like this.
True, but if it was human error then much less time will be taken for a reopen than if it was software/mechanical. Then it may need essentially all of the initial testing again, perhaps, maybe, I'm probably talking a load of BS :D

True, but if it was human error then much less time will be taken for a reopen than if it was software/mechanical. Then it may need essentially all of the initial testing again, perhaps, maybe, I'm probably talking a load of BS :D
If it's what I suspect and is human error every ride manual and maintenance procedure will need to be scrutinised and adjusted where seen fit, this will take more than a day!

If it's what I suspect and is human error every ride manual and maintenance procedure will need to be scrutinised and adjusted where seen fit, this will take more than a day!
Oh yes, very true, however procedure change will be much much faster than any physical alterations and HSE things, I would imagine.

I really don't see why people are too bothered if the carts are repairable or not?!

Edit: who really cares??

The second male has been named from front row. Daniel Thorpe from Buxton and he is currently still receiving treatment at Coventry hospital - BBC

I really don't see why people are too bothered if the carts are repairable or not?!

Edit: who really cares??
I think it's just part of the discussion, it's not important and to be honest most of the discussion is not important (speculating about the cause etc) - but it's interesting, hence people talking about it.

I'm assuming they were sent to different hospitals due to the types of injuries they had, otherwise being a couple you would have thought they would have tried to keep them together or at least in the same hospital.

I wonder if the park will be open tomorrow - obviously they should keep X Sector closed for now, but I think it's going to start causing inconveniences and backlash from members of the public that have planned trips, if a park-wide closure extends into tomorrow and then the weekend.

I wonder if the park will be open tomorrow - obviously they should keep X Sector closed for now, but I think it's going to start causing inconveniences and backlash from members of the public that have planned trips, if a park-wide closure extends into tomorrow and then the weekend.

Today and Friday are two of the least busy days usually, so I can understand a closure tomorrow. Unless HSE genuinely won't allow it I'd imagine they'll be reopen Saturday. Apt new banner (or whatever it's called on here..?) by the way Harvs.

As Nick Varney has said, the park will only re-open when they have a better understanding of what happened and whether or not it was a Smiler specific problem. I think it is a fair assumption that all procedures for all rides are being reviewed.

:)

towers have changed their facebook picture and banner to remove the smiler branding that was on before

^^ Not entirely true, or no-one would have got in a car this morning...

I'd imagine we'll see AT open again at at the weekend. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't is if HSE found faults in all of the rides processes; very doubtful.

Someone mentioned that Engineers never operate rides - I beg to differ - engineers usually have to be signed off as operators as part of their machine training. How else could you test/advise/repair/solve a problem?

Today and Friday are two of the least busy days usually, so I can understand a closure tomorrow. Unless HSE genuinely won't allow it I'd imagine they'll be reopen Saturday. Apt new banner (or whatever it's called on here..?) by the way Harvs.
As I stated before, the HSE would have absolutely no grounds for closing the whole park - there will be no evidence that operation of other attractions is at risk. I can see operation of the roller coasters being prohibited - but not opening of the park itself. However, without the coasters, would there be much point?

As for the difference between UK and US health and safety law as mentioned up above - well I have had experience of both, and lets just say I'm glad I live in the UK!

An eyewitness to the rollercoaster crash at Alton Towers has told ITV News he was ignored when he tried to warn staff about an empty carriage on the track.

Four people were seriously injured when a car carrying 16 passengers crashed into another empty one on Tuesday afternoon.

The man, who wished to remain anonymous, said he saw empty test carriages being sent round the Smiler ride, while his children were in the queue.

He noticed that one car had become stuck halfway round, and approached a member of park staff with concerns.

I walked up the woman. I said ‘Can you tell me what’s happening?’ She said, ‘There’s a technical problem, we’re dealing with it.’

I said, ‘You do know there’s a car on there don’t you?’

I was told to mind my own business and it’s got nothing to do with me.”

– EYEWITNESS
Minutes later, he watched with horror as the car carrying passengers was released and sent round the track.

"I was going ballistic. I was going mad. I was watching and it and knew there was nothing I could do about it. As soon as it started, you knew what was going to happen."

Alton Towers remains closed for a second day as an investigation into the crash continues.

A spokesperson for the park said: "At present we are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive to investigate the incident. We cannot comment further on individual speculation."

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-04/...-rollercoaster-told-to-mind-his-own-business/

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.