• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
nobody is saying dont deserve compo. But to come out that early in my opinion, is bad for image. People will see them as money grabbing. They will get compo, they will get to hurt merlin. Let it come after loved ones have got over the worse. Whats the rush.
Just to clarify, I never accused anyone of saying that they don't deserve compensation. I'd imagine the families are not overly thinking about their public image, instead I imagine they'll be supporting their loved ones and dealing with this anger, distress and lack of control that I discussed previously. For some, this resulted in lashing out at Merlin in the only way they knew how but I'm just repeating myself now so I'll stop. If people want to then judge a family whose son/daughter has been severely injured as 'money grabbing' that's up to them.
I think it's a combination of 2 things. Firstly, Alton Towers truly is a British institution and is very well known to everyone who resides here and most people will have visited at some point. It is also the theme park in Britain which is most famous worldwide. Secondly, any news is increasingly sent further and more quickly than ever before via social media etc more recently.
I think as well, there's so many unanswered questions for the press to follow up that the 'well' of the story hasn't run dry yet. Like what are the injuries of the other passengers, what caused the crash, what are Alton Towers going to do next? Doesn't make it right that they continue with the story in the way they have been though.

I will start by making no apologies for the tone this post is going to take.

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Who do you think you are? You have an ANNUAL pass. Guess what that means? Yes that's right, it allows you access for a whole 12 months. If you cannot live without ERT for one visit, or Oblivion, after what has happened then my god. You will get called insensitive because you are insensitive.

As it happens ERT has returned today. Spinball will open as soon as they are able to introduce the extra level of safety. Oblivion and Enterprise will open once the HSE are largely offsite and it is appropriate to allow guests back in the area; Towers say this will be soon. The Smiler will remain closed for the forseeable future. But you are not happy with this? You feel that you should be allowed into areas where the investigation is ongoing, or if not deserve an extension to your pass? Please. People like you give enthusiasts a bad name and I hope Towers give you nothing.

A very serious incident has happened at Alton Towers. People are seriously injured and one poor girl has lost her leg. Yet you want compensation for it? This has really not impacted on your life at all. Why should Towers have to give you things just because you have an annual pass? I also have an annual pass, I am going on Sunday, if certain rides remain closed then I do not expect or want anything at all. It is a totally understandable situation. Believe it or not the safety of their guests in their number one priority, not that all MAP holders get to go on every ride all the time regardless of anything.

Yes you have spent good money on it. But that good money allows you to go at other times when all rides are open. And yes you have seen people on here queueing at guest services about rides being closed, but for extremely different reasons.

Towers have given out free tickets to guests visiting the park this week. In my opinion this is going beyond what is expected in terms of customer service. All T&Cs state that all rides are subject to availability etc. so they could easily have just done nothing. But they are showing this goodwill. You have an annual pass so there is your free return ticket for any day you want.

------------------

Right, sorry to everyone else for that but I was angered and needed a rant!

In terms of The Smiler testing this morning, that will be part of the HSE investigation I think. They probably want to get an understanding of how the ride works and is operated as well as test out current safety mechanisms. It will also allow them to make their own predictions of imact speed etc. Got to admit it is a little strange seeing it testing.

And then in terms of the new operational procedures. I understand why Merlin have introduced them and they won't cause much of a problem on quiet days like they are having this week. But if these are permanent measures going forward they are going to cause real problems for the park. Rides such as Thirteen and Air be impacted badly. It remains to be seen how the changes could affect Oblivion and Spinball. I hope it is temporary whilst they carry on investigation and think it probably is. There's no reason why only Merlin should have to operate their coasters differently when thousands around the world operate safely and 'normally'. As a temporary measure though it is sensible.

:)
I think you're being a bit OTT. I personally wouldn't have complained - and I am one to complain about trivial things (not at AT) - but it would seem a bit insensitive given what's happened.

However, I can understand why some people might find it irritating that people who may have paid next to nothing for their tickets are getting free return tickets, whilst pass holders aren't getting anything for the (minor) inconvenience.

As an annual pass holder, I feel like I shouldn't recieve anything as a compensation from Towers if I was planning to visit in the past week. I can visit another time easily unlike most other people. Although, considering I travel for about 4 hours, then I would be annoyed about wasting money on my train tickets, so I understand if anyone else feels like that, but it's hardly something Towers can compisate you for.

Last edited:
However, I can understand why some people might find it irritating that people who may have paid next to nothing for their tickets are getting free return tickets, whilst pass holders aren't getting anything for the (minor) inconvenience.

I initially thought thats why @Balb0wa was complaining about and I suggested they visit guest services on the day and ask what could be done, I agree if regular guests are getting free return tickets maybe a passholder shoudl get something. But @Balb0wa hasn't visited the park this week, they complained that the park was shut last Wednesday, the day after the accident and it ruined their plans! In my opinion that is not a valid complaint, if you have an AP then go to another park or wait a week and got to AT, the park being closed for five days doesn't mean they hate the annual passholders!

Towers have given out free tickets to guests visiting the park this week. In my opinion this is going beyond what is expected in terms of customer service. All T&Cs state that all rides are subject to availability etc. so they could easily have just done nothing. But they are showing this goodwill. You have an annual pass so there is your free return ticket for any day you want.

Out of interest Rob. As these rides are subject to availability, are you happy that 'The Sun Free Ticket' holders got an advantage of free tickets over loyal annual pass holders on these days? How do the people at the gate know whether free ticket holders or annual pass holders have had to make a real effort to get to the park? Why just flash tickets out to one party and not the other without asking questions? Probably to save hassle at the box office maybe?

Just to clarify, I never accused anyone of saying that they don't deserve compensation. I'd imagine the families are not overly thinking about their public image, instead I imagine they'll be supporting their loved ones and dealing with this anger, distress and lack of control that I discussed previously. For some, this resulted in lashing out at Merlin in the only way they knew how but I'm just repeating myself now so I'll stop. If people want to then judge a family whose son/daughter has been severely injured as 'money grabbing' that's up to them.

I think as well, there's so many unanswered questions for the press to follow up that the 'well' of the story hasn't run dry yet. Like what are the injuries of the other passengers, what caused the crash, what are Alton Towers going to do next? Doesn't make it right that they continue with the story in the way they have been though.

Are there unanswered questions that remain in the public interest though? The only one I can think of is the cause of the crash. Anything else is not mine nor anyone else's business other than the people involved

Out of interest Rob. As these rides are subject to availability, are you happy that 'The Sun Free Ticket' holders got an advantage of free tickets over loyal annual pass holders on these days? How do the people at the gate know whether free ticket holders or annual pass holders have had to make a real effort to get to the park? Why just flash tickets out to one party and not the other without asking questions? Probably to save hassle at the box office maybe?

Well what use is a free ticket to a 'loyal annual pass holder'? All they will do is either sell it online or pass it to a friend, so the pass holder would not be directly benefiting anyway.

The whole free tickets thing is a gesture of goodwill from Merlin and not something I expected them to do. As an annual pass holder there is nothing they could do for me or notning I would want them to do for me.

From Towers' point of view a guest with a free ticket is a guest who may return later in the year when otherwise they may not have. Towers then benefit from further spending on the return visit; spending that would not have happened without the free ticket. This applies to those that have paid full price and those that have a Sun free ticket. An annual pass holder does not need a free ticket to return. I don't see why an annual pass holder would want anything, unless they are selfish and want to try and benefit from such a situation.

Are there unanswered questions that remain in the public interest though? The only one I can think of is the cause of the crash. Anything else is not mine nor anyone else's business other than the people involved

no such thing as private in the press. I think they have proved that over recent years. They want answers, not the truth.

yes I know the families wont be interested in public image, the lawyers will do that for them. But a good lawyer wil wait and build a case rather come out all guns blazing. Remember they have to make money too. My point is, is that when public look at this, they give huge support, they get things like 1 direction involved etc. But in big cases where people have been hurt, people after cash get no sympathy. That's how the great British public work I'm afraid.

dignity always wins through.

I initially thought thats why @Balb0wa was complaining about and I suggested they visit guest services on the day and ask what could be done, I agree if regular guests are getting free return tickets maybe a passholder shoudl get something. But @Balb0wa hasn't visited the park this week, they complained that the park was shut last Wednesday, the day after the accident and it ruined their plans! In my opinion that is not a valid complaint, if you have an AP then go to another park or wait a week and got to AT, the park being closed for five days doesn't mean they hate the annual passholders!
I got the impression that he complained as a 'voice' for pass holders. Around pages 64/65 a few people were in agreement that it wasn't fair - he just got in early with his complaint. When he mentioned he had planned to go on the Wednesday I think it was to try and justify complaining. He was as much inconvenienced as many of those who had their tickets revalidated for a different date, in a way. And it sounds like they were giving the tickets to anyone who turned up at the park, not just those affected by the closure.

I don't think it would hurt them to offer pass holders a ticket for a friend (or a week or two extra on the pass, as that would directly benefit the pass holder and be similar to giving a free ticket). Whilst it seems like a nice gesture, it also means they might get extra car park money, extra money spent on food etc so it's good to encourage people back with a 'free' ticket.

Well yes, because people are nosey! ;)

Well what use is a free ticket to a 'loyal annual pass holder'? All they will do is either sell it online or pass it to a friend, so the pass holder would not be directly benefiting anyway.

The whole free tickets thing is a gesture of goodwill from Merlin and not something I expected them to do. As an annual pass holder there is nothing they could do for me or notning I would want them to do for me.

From Towers' point of view a guest with a free ticket is a guest who may return later in the year when otherwise they may not have. Towers then benefit from further spending on the return visit; spending that would not have happened without the free ticket. This applies to those that have paid full price and those that have a Sun free ticket. An annual pass holder does not need a free ticket to return. I don't see why an annual pass holder would want anything, unless they are selfish and want to try and benefit from such a situation.

Yeah, so what, if for instance, I felt like selling a free ticket on Ebay just like a good proportion of the 'Sun Free Ticket' holders will? I know I take things to an extreme sometimes, but this is the real world. I'm not saying I expect anything, or expected anything out of this whole saga, but when they start throwing freebies out to certain parties, it's only natural that others will consider how fairly they have been looked upon in comparison. I'm not even saying I'm going to complain about this, I won't in all honesty. But I commend you on being such a great human being :)

Towers handing out free tickets makes me think that guests weren't getting the full package of rides, services etc. A gesture of goodwill.

Because im a passholder im not being inconvenienced?? These premium passes aren't cheap.

I don't think it would hurt them to offer pass holders a ticket for a friend (or a week or two extra on the pass, as that would directly benefit the pass holder and be similar to giving a free ticket). Whilst it seems like a nice gesture, it also means they might get extra car park money, extra money spent on food etc so it's good to encourage people back with a 'free' ticket.

I agree, but if you are a passholder, in the park and don't get given a ticket at the gate, either ask for one or go to guest services and ask for one. Complaining later on won't get you anywhere, always best to ask in person. I would expect if you asked for a free ticket they would give you one. In fact on TowersStreet Facebook they got given one this morning, would be interesting to know if the person who received it was a passholder or not. :)

Towers handing out free tickets makes me think that guests weren't getting the full package of rides, services etc. A gesture of goodwill.

Because im a passholder im not being inconvenienced?? These premium passes aren't cheap.

Buy a standard one then? I'm sorry, but you have the opportunity to return at ANY OTHER time of the year. Whereas guest paying either on the day or have free tickets from The Sun etc. don't necessarily have that option, hence this gesture of goodwill.

Yeah, so what, if for instance, I felt like selling a free ticket on Ebay just like a good proportion of the 'Sun Free Ticket' holders will? I know I take things to an extreme sometimes, but this is the real world. I'm not saying I expect anything, or expected anything out of this whole saga, but when they start throwing freebies out to certain parties, it's only natural that others will consider how fairly they have been looked upon in comparison. I'm not even saying I'm going to complain about this, I won't in all honesty. But I commend you on being such a great human being :)

I'm sure if you wanted a free ticket you could get hold of one. I know passholders that have got hold of free tickets this week. I still do not see what use it you be to the passholder? If I got one it would be of no benefit to me whatsoever.

I'm sure if you wanted a free ticket you could get hold of one. I know passholders that have got hold of free tickets this week. I still do not see what use it you be to the passholder? If I got one it would be of no benefit to me whatsoever.

So you havn't got an Ebay account then?

I think you missed the point. Annual pass holder or not, some people don't live near Alton Towers. I've booked a trip for the 23rd and I'll be picking up an Annual Pass for my family. Our journey is 4 hours and I booked my trip 2 weeks before the Smiler accident. That's £300 on the hotel and £500 on annual passes.

Had I booked a trip for the first week of June and arrived with 5 rides down (thats the current count before the park even opens, ignoring any rides that break down) I would have expected some form of compensation regardless of being an annual pass holder.

You have a different perspective on things as you live just 1 hour away, it's easy for you to decide to visit Alton Towers for a day and it not have any impact (2 hours of travel for you total in a day), for me that's 8 hours of travel total. I have to book hotels, days off work for both myself and my partner and make travel arrangements in advance.

Therefore even as an annual passholder (as I will be and have been in the past) I have paid significant amounts of money in advance to Alton Towers to make my journey and stay in their hotels. If cancellation is not an option (e.g. are Alton going to give a 100% refund on the hotel if I decide to go to Thorpe), then I would 100% expect some form of compensation, especially if people are getting free tickets to return on the gate.

You can shout T&C's all you want, 5 rides down is unacceptable and clearly Alton Towers understand this. The best solution would of been to hand tickets to EVERYONE who arrived, regardless of the how entry was gained.

Fingers crossed when we arrive on the 23rd only the Smiler will be closed.

Or at the time, they could even have given annual pass holders 50% off food or something like that. But no, just nothing and watch 'free ticket' holders get more free tickets. Doesn't sound great for the loyal customers does it considering recent treatment over the last couple of years.

Or at the time, they could even have given annual pass holders 50% off food or something like that. But no, just nothing and watch 'free ticket' holders get more free tickets. Doesn't sound great for the loyal customers does it considering recent treatment over the last couple of years.

Did you try asking for something?

I think you missed the point. Annual pass holder or not, some people don't live near Alton Towers. I've booked a trip for the 23rd and I'll be picking up an Annual Pass for my family. Our journey is 4 hours and I booked my trip 2 weeks before the Smiler accident. That's £300 on the hotel and £500 on annual passes.

Had I booked a trip for the first week of June and arrived with 5 rides down (thats the current count before the park even opens, ignoring any rides that break down) I would have expected some form of compensation regardless of being an annual pass holder.

You have a different perspective on things as you live just 1 hour away, it's easy for you to decide to visit Alton Towers for a day and it not have any impact (2 hours of travel for you total in a day), for me that's 8 hours of travel total. I have to book hotels, days off work for both myself and my partner and make travel arrangements in advance.

Therefore even as an annual passholder (as I will be and have been in the past) I have paid significant amounts of money in advance to Alton Towers to make my journey and stay in their hotels. If cancellation is not an option (e.g. are Alton going to give a 100% refund on the hotel if I decide to go to Thorpe), then I would 100% expect some form of compensation, especially if people are getting free tickets to return on the gate.

You can shout T&C's all you want, 5 rides down is unacceptable and clearly Alton Towers understand this. The best solution would of been to hand tickets to EVERYONE who arrived, regardless of the how entry was gained.

Fingers crossed when we arrive on the 23rd only the Smiler will be closed.

Yours is a different scenario to previously described. I'm sure if you contact Alton Towers about this they will be able to do something about your hotel stay.

I accept that rides being closed is frustrating. But sometimes there is a bigger picture. Surely we can all understand this is one of those times? Some people have had their lives changed forever. People here will not have their lives changed by not getting to ride Oblivion and Enterprise when they visit Alton Towers and can return in the future with their annual passes.

Perspective.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.