• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We are getting ever closer to Orwell's dystopia.
We have been there for some time mate.

In other news, I saw this tactfull banner at Fantasy Island on Monday, next to another ride known to stall in high winds...
scaled_full_413aa5e0dfab61121f79.jpg

What i should have said is, it will hurt Business EVEN MORE SO.

Of course Business is hurt but quote unquote damage control, has been nothing short of extraodinary, i just tried to book 2 nights in AT hotel in 11 days time, it is sold out.

There are rooms in splash, which is where i will stay, and there are lodges, however these types of dangerous fabrications cause ripple effects, yes the smiler crashed but we can't go tomorrow and ride that for obvious reasons, but now metal is falling off air and they are keeping that running!?!?!?!

Hi there my name is mr un informed and i saw today in the paper that you are running rides that are falling apart,i really don't want to bring my family to a place that allows this especially after the events of last week, i would like to cancel my hotel booking please ....

You get the point i am trying to make

When something more gruesome occurs that they can capitalise ie, so called islamic state do something front page worthy, or a natural disaster kills thousands, this will be like dust in a wind.

Of course Business is hurt but quote unquote damage control, has been nothing short of extraodinary, i just tried to book 2 nights in AT hotel in 11 days time, it is sold out.

There are rooms in splash, which is where i will stay, and there are lodges, however these types of dangerous fabrications cause ripple effects, yes the smiler crashed but we can't go tomorrow and ride that for obvious reasons, but now metal is falling off air and they are keeping that running!?!?!?!

Hi there my name is mr un informed and i saw today in the paper that you are running rides that are falling apart,i really don't want to bring my family to a place that allows this especially after the events of last week, i would like to cancel my hotel booking please ....

You get the point i am trying to make
You said yourself that when an event comes along that's more gruesome or front page worthy than these silly stories, it'll be like dust in a wind! Why would you want to threaten that with a long winded and (probably) widely publicised lawsuit which involves one of the newspapers themselves who will happily attempt to turn the public even further against the park. Even if you ignored that fact, Merlin would surely want concrete evidence to prove this didn't happen before suing them and I can't figure out how they could get evidence that proves bribery didn't occur conclusively. Even though, to us, it may seem obvious that it didn't.

Do you think reporters are just going to Alton towers, taking big metal things, dropping them of rides or "finding" them on the floor just to have a story?

Also, people selling their story to tabloids of how they witnessed the traumatic experience of the shocking sight of the barrels on marauders mayhem being faulty because they were SPINNING!!! Some people need to think "wait, maybe I should actually find out if this is really unusual before I look like a -censored- in guest services.

As well as feeling really sorry for the staff and visitors directly involved with the smiler last week, I think the same for the staff working in the box office having to put up with everything. Wonder if they get a promotion if they manage not to laugh at any guests for a day.

Do you think the witness in the Guardian article has pointed it out to all his friends and family today?

If I were a witness in a newspaper story I think I'd tell people "hey, my story is in the Guardian today"

But then with this story, and his quote I can only imagine he wants to avoid his friends and family knowing its him for frea of absolute ridicule.

Do you think the witness in the Guardian article has pointed it out to all his friends and family today?

If I were a witness in a newspaper story I think I'd tell people "hey, my story is in the Guardian today"

But then with this story, and his quote I can only imagine he wants to avoid his friends and family knowing its him for frea of absolute ridicule.
The story is actually in the Daily Mail as well, and this time with the name of the couple and pictures of them. Sounds like they were staying on site too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oaster-carrying-young-children-evacuated.html

I am usually able to smell bull**** stories - but this one sounds to me like it just might be genuine. But I reckon the guy was mistaken what he found. If he did find a piece of metal on the ground, it could just as easily have been something dropped off the back of a trolley (for example, retaining clips for fencing being used).I would be surprised if it was anything off the ride - given everything that is going on at the moment, Merlin wouldn't have re-opened the ride that quickly if it was.

Much like many of us have complained to OFCOM regarding Varney's interrogation, feel free to send something to IPSO (Independent Press Standards Organisation) regarding the fabrication of these stories:

http://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/

You have just discovered the written equivalent of doing those annoying quotation marks with your hands when talking. Amazing.

Back On Topic - The Kay Burley interview has failed so spectacularly for her and Sky it's actually trending on Facebook right now.

Sky see that as a success however. They wanted the views, not to deliver information.

with expert eye witnesses in their abundance at the mo, alot of me has to ask. Are some of these made up, over exaggerated? Are the events witnessed from the past week? Not just before, somebody trying to make a quick buck?

This whole metal clip thing seems a bit dubious, I have a feeling it may have been planted by someone. If the ride operatives knew it was from air there's no way in hell they would re open it in 20 mins especially after all that's happened.
I hope they do reopen smiler at some point this year because all the news footage is giving me withdrawal symptoms!

You know these newspapers are not whiter than white themselves. Ive no idea why people still buy them. Make sure none of you have anything juicy on your voicemail ;)

Of course it's false. It's not really a story in the first place. Anyone can go out and find a piece of metal/any old rubbish next to a coaster, car, building, whatever, and imply that means where they found it means that thing/place is dangerous.

When I get there tomorrow, I must remember to pocket a nut and bolt out of my tool box.
then find the most weirdest place to find one and have a photo shoot. I am thinking bolt sticking out of the lawns in front of the towers.
N.B I will not leave it anywhere. just use it for joke photos

When I get there tomorrow, I must remember to pocket a nut and bolt out of my tool box.
then find the most weirdest place to find one and have a photo shoot. I am thinking bolt sticking out of the lawns in front of the towers.
N.B I will not leave it anywhere. just use it for joke photos

Well if i trip over it i may have to claim compensation! Hope you have a good lawyer :cool:

I wouldn't even joke about it, the press would swoop on it faster than a starved vulture. It really wouldn't surprise me if they have a journalist of some sort on park at the moment each day documenting every small hiccup that we'd consider normal operations.

Well if i trip over it i may have to claim compensation! Hope you have a good lawyer :cool:

No no no... if you trip over it you approach the tabloids and sell your story for falling over a bolt from a coaster at Alton Towers a week after the HORROR Smiler crash!

No no no... if you trip over it you approach the tabloids and sell your story for falling over a bolt from a coaster at Alton Towers a week after the HORROR Smiler crash!

So compo claim for a stubbed toe and money for a tabloid excusive. Money money money:D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.