• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
So why could I spot an empty seat when it was oscillating on the very first videos released? Or was the person just slumped forwards, a lot?

I was actually looking for pictures to compare to the video when I found that new article. If you're on about the first seat in the second row back, I think they are wearing black and if you watch the video really carefully you can make out an arm. In picture 3 of 30 in The Mirror article you can't see anyone properly because of the way the picture was taken, but I think you can make out a logo or something on their top. It doesn't look the same as the empty seats in the front carriage.

Sorry, but What are you talking about?

I was referring to the post above by TomLad, but quoted his other post. He knew what I meant though!

I had tried using Google to find the video which was taken just after the accident so that I could see what he was on about (to be fair, it is hard to spot the person), but came across the new article at the same time and so posted it.

Maybe we should stop posting news articles daily because lets be honest, they are all a load of BS aimed to get clicks. Why bother giving these sites time of the day.

I'd rather see pure news (like Kelpie has helpfully posted several times) rather than media sensationalism.

The fact that you have gotten 6 likes so far for that post sums up the validity of what the media have to say.

Complete rubbish, all of it. And I'm only saying rubbish because its a public forum

Maybe we should stop posting news articles daily because lets be honest, they are all a load of BS aimed to get clicks. Why bother giving these sites time of the day.

I'd rather see pure news (like Kelpie has helpfully posted several times) rather than media sensationalism.
*blushes* why thank you :)
I will keep an eye out for further bits and pieces from Associated Press, AFP and other official statements given to the media such as from Alton Towers, solicitors, hospitals etc. when I get the opportunity.

I agree in a lot of ways that we should probably ignore most of the news articles when we already know they've been so factually inaccurate and it'll just make us further annoyed.

EDIT: turns out AP have their own news app, so hey, that's always an option.

I've noticed The Smiler game has been removed from the App Store (or has this been the case for a while?)
Big Six Challenge app is still there though.

The Smiler Game was removed yesterday due to the ability of the player to allow for the cars to spark and tip off of the track; the resort saying it is inappropriate in light of recent events obviously. I imagine the Big Six Challenge app will be leaving soon too if all branding for the promotion is to be removed.

Maybe we should set up a private eye style page where we debug all the news stories and look through the cracks of what they are saying. does anyone have Ian Hislops number?

Will the report be made public?
The HSE doesn't proactively make their investigation reports public.

However, they are subject to Freedom of Information requests where investigation reports (redacted with any personal or confidential information) have to be shared. But that can only happen once legal proceedings have concluded, which can take a number of years.

Theoretically, Merlin could make the results of their investigation public - but highly unlikely before any legal proceedings are concluded, as doing so may admit guilt.

As unsatisfactory as it may be, we are unlikely to know the full details for a number of years.

The HSE do issue public reports on major incidents. I am not sure if this will qualify for a multi-page PDF like some investigations, but we will know the outcome in either case.

The way they have been providing updates on this issue would be unusual for the vast majority of their work, so they have acknowledged public interest and the information releases will continue as there are developments. If there is a prosecution and court case, then we will also learn what has gone on via the usual media reporting of that.

What's important to realise is that these things take months or even years.

How do people on this forum feel about the effect this could have on the number of guests for the rest of the season.

Apparently there's a good chance the parks reopening the park tomorrow (heard from a member of staff).

Today they are extensively testing the rides with members of staff implementing the improved safety regimes.

Very hard to gauge. Attendances aren't going to halve or anything. A day-by-day average fall of 10% would be my stab in the dark.

Can't see it being affected really, maybe a small percentage decrease due to The Smiler being closed. Is it possible that Alton Towers will stay open a week later this season or open a week earlier next to recoup some of the money lost and satisfy pass holders?

Very hard to gauge. Attendances aren't going to halve or anything. A day-by-day average fall of 10% would be my stab in the dark.
I wasn't expecting massive falls but 10% for the rest of this season and then come 2017/2018 SW8 should drive up attendances back to pre Tuesday levels.

Can't see it being affected really, maybe a small percentage decrease due to The Smiler being closed. Is it possible that Alton Towers will stay open a week later this season or open a week earlier next to recoup some of the money lost and satisfy pass holders?
That is a fair point but do you think some people only go to ride the smiler?

Apparently there's a good chance the parks reopening the park tomorrow (heard from a member of staff).

Today they are extensively testing the rides with members of staff implementing the improved safety regimes.
Is this a senior member of staff or just a ride op/assistant?

Team Edit: Posts merged into one. Please use the multiquote feature in order to respond to different posts within one topic

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a fair point but do you think some people only go to ride the smiler?

Not so much now that it has been open for 2 years and people have had ample time to ride it, but if you haven't ridden it before and have the option to visit later on in the year (assuming it's back open) or just wait till next season, people might take that.

Not so much now that it has been open for 2 years and people have had ample time to ride it, but if you haven't ridden it before and have the option to visit later on in the year (assuming it's back open) or just wait till next season, people might take that.
From my point of view I come from Scotland (7 hour drive) and it took me until October 2014 to ride it for the first time and many of my friends are yet to ride it. So the impact will just be short term and very small.

There will be some people that stay away because the park has had an accident - it's just a question of how many.

There will be virtually no one that stays away because The Smiler is not available to ride.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.