• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't think a major re-theme is needed although the hashtag getcorrected and "you belong to the smiler" may have to be changed. Also the drilling sound affect may need to "ahem" cut out.

Get corrected I agree... But "you belong to the smiler" could stay.

I can't say I've heard the drilling before.

I am really looking forward to going on it again as it really will be like a new ride as I just can't remember much from it. Apart from it making me feel sick lol

There is a drilling, sawing type noise at one point in sure. High pitch whinge at least like a dentist drill anyway.

there is an expression in my neck of woods where during a game a rugby league and someone injures someone that they now "own" you. Must be a Yorkshire thing.

I am really looking forward to going on it again as it really will be like a new ride as I just can't remember much from it. Apart from it making me feel sick lol

At night it's extraordinary.

But yeah, like you, always glad of the mid course break (not brake) to stop feeling dizzy!

First time I rode it, stupid heat, multiple breakdowns, 3 1/2 hour queue I HATED the damn thing.

More I rode it, more I liked it.

I don't see why ANY of the theme needs to be changed. It was an unfortunate accident.

PR. They can't have a screen in the queue listing possible side effects of The Smiler and one of them being "loss of limb". They would get slaughtered for that and guest numbers would fall further. They will be taking no such risks when The Smiler re-opens.

:)

Guys, it's OK. I've found exclusive concept art of the new theme!
latest

They will have to tone it down a bit, even though it's such a hard ride to tone down. The whole theme is about you going through a process and coming out with a smile, being 'corrected'. I'm concerned they will have to cut out so much what will be left won't really be The Smiler.

Whatever happens the media will take a spin on what's left of the theme either way. Even just the name of the ride remaining as "The Smiler" will be dragged out as something highly offensive.

PR. They can't have a screen in the queue listing possible side effects of The Smiler and one of them being "loss of limb". They would get slaughtered for that and guest numbers would fall further. They will be taking no such risks when The Smiler re-opens.

It's Towers. I think we will either see it all as it currently is (as of last season), or nothing (so, most things removed). There never seems to be a middle ground with Towers/Merlin.

It's Towers. I think we will either see it all as it currently is (as of last season), or nothing (so, most things removed). There never seems to be a middle ground with Towers/Merlin.

The fact that they edited Oblivion's various queue and station videos for when the park re-opened after the incident gives you an indication of the route they will take.

The fact that they edited Oblivion's various queue and station videos for when the park re-opened after the incident gives you an indication of the route they will take.

While I completely understand the point you are making here, oblivions videos were edited at a time where the media were jumping at the chance to have another headline on towers, wether It was from a regular breakdown, or a pure lie. Towers certainly didn't want the media hearing about how visitors are told about how another coaster has crashed, and to be honest, they'd probably believe it had happened.

That kind of leads onto the question of whether they'll add back the stuff they took out of oblivion's videos this season?

While I completely understand the point you are making here, oblivions videos were edited at a time where the media were jumping at the chance to have another headline on towers, wether It was from a regular breakdown, or a pure lie. Towers certainly didn't want the media hearing about how visitors are told about how another coaster has crashed, and to be honest, they'd probably believe it had happened.

And the media are going to be equally interested as soon as The Smiler re-opens. You can bet that papers such as the Mirror will be sending journalists to the park.

I think Towers will be very cautious and risk free with the re-opening of The Smiler. They will want to handle it as best as possible and get it out of the way as quietly as possible. This is why they wanted to get it open towards the end of last season but for whatever reason it wasn't possible.

I think they'll just open the gate one day. No fanfares, release a statement try and carry on a normal. All they can do.

and the next day you will have guests with Dictaphones and good quality cameras riding the smiler.

It's all damage limitation but the longer they leave opening it, the more people are going to talk about it. As for the theming, I'm guessing they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Without going too deep into comparisons as people have died and nothing has been confirmed, but someone mentioned earlier on in the thread the similarity between block sections for trains and rollercoasters preventing such incidents. Yet this week we have a huge accident that is rumoured to have been caused by human error. It seems that because trains are a "necessary" risk, the media/social media are a lot more sympathetic and barely anyone is calling for trains to be scrapped in the same manner that they were about rollercoasters. After time people will use trains in Bavaria with as little thought as what has happened this week and the same should be true for the Smiler, however it will always be THAT rollercoaster that crashed.

I've just deleted a significant number of posts here that were not really relating to the incident and/or not adding to discussion in a meaningful manner. Posting about the victims is not really relevant here, no matter how we may or may not feel about events.

The incident on The Smiler took place eight months ago now and pretty much everything that could be discussed about it has been discussed on multiple occasions. Discussion in this thread often goes around in circles now and for that reason this thread is being locked.

If and when any new information is released about the incident then a new thread may be created. However with the HSE investigation ongoing, and these investigations leading to prosecution take a long time, it will be a good while before any new information does come to light.

In the meantime, please do use the '2016: The Smiler Reopening' thread to discuss anything relating to it opening again and changes that may be seen.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.