• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Inspirational Lecture

Re: Inspirational Lecture

Fredward said:
When you do not know the problems it is easy to be ignorant to them, if you have ever been to towers with people who do not often go, you will notice they couldn't care less about the problems, it doesn't directly affect their day. Probably like when we go to EP or IOA.

The problems we see may not affect an ordinary visitor directly, but it does indirectly. A normal guest would never actually assume selling lots of fastpass would affect queue times as dramatically as we know for example.

This is not true, not in my experience - as I pointed out, I have actually focused purposefully less, when taking normal friends/acquaintances, on the negative, and have tried to help their visit be more fruitful by using some of the tips & tricks of visiting you inevitably pick up as an enthusiast.

What has shocked me this year, is just how much these people DO notice! Far more than I did in fact, I was surprised to find, it irritated them more than it did me - perhaps, in actual fact, we are used to these problems, and therefore expect them - but the GP, don't. That is why their social media got smashed to bits this year.

These problems are no longer in the realm of enthusiast, you are way behind the times Fredward mate. The time that these were the mainstay of just Enthusiasts, has long, long since been and gone. Granted, from my reading, these problems were being highlighted and a trend noticed before, by enthusiasts, but you're in a fantasy land to think this is just us now.

Alton, and Merlin have gotten so bad at what they are doing, they GP have noticed, wised up, and are equally if not more disdainful of it, because they, unlike us here, did not expect it to happen.

Multiple visits, with multiple different members of the GP/non-enthusiast, each one spotting things that I had not even noticed.

3 or 4 years ago, we were ahead of the times, AT/Merlin had chance to use this knowledge to their advantage, they failed.

The GP are losing respect and faith, their days are now considered based on "can we afford it" so much more than before, and when in, the bombardment is affecting their day, make no mistake.

They crossed the line of what is acceptable this year, and it has most certainly been noticed. Have AT noticed? I have reason to believe they may based on various posts here, but I don't get a sense of real understanding from my communication with the park (fobbed off in fact), and Merlin is turning into a untamed, uncontrollable, commercial behemoth - and that is what is starting to shine through, flowing down that chain, and onto the shoulders of the parks.

It's not right, it has to stop. Merlin simply have to quit this rubbish.

It is frustrating and they would do well to remember how privileged they are to have in their assets, such a beautiful piece of our history. They should and must show more respect and recognise how fortunate they are!

It is my love of Alton Towers not Merlin, and especially not Blackstone(!) who drive my opinions. I wish they'd sell it to an investor who truly cares about the long term future of, as Tim so correctly asserts, this Countries premier theme park - our window to the world of attractions!

Strong words maybe, but all self evident.

It's a double edged sword really.

On the one hand you have a group of devoted fans who hate to see the park take turns or make changes that we don't agree with. Sometimes these decisions really hit a nerve with fans but at the end of the day the fans are not the bread and butter of the park and whilst one set of clientèle which amounts to such a small percentage hates and hates, the other visits regardless. So yes, Alton Merlin will try and push their luck. Only when something really kicks off and involves the GP do Alton Merlin backtrack with their tail between their legs.

The other side of the sword is the amount of times people visit. I only visit a handful of times a year and I cannot remember the last time I had a bad day. The only way I know what Merlin are up to with Alton is through social medias or word of mouth. I personally feel that people who visit Alton often think they have the right to behave or demand what they want, like Alton owes them something because they visit so much.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe this has been a particularly bad year for Alton in a number of ways and I was not really impressed with Scarefest and thought the Fireworks were disappointing. Even with that though, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself every visit. It's like my home-from-home and I appreciate it when I visit because it IS still the best park in the country by a long way and it offers me a wonderful escape each and every time I visit.

There are many things I'd wish Alton would do but they are selfish to my own needs. The big one this year was - opening times. Oh how I'd love to be on park during a warm summer night until 9-10pm with a few drinks and select rides open but it's just not feasible to do or financially viable.

The thing with parks like Europa is that it's a family run business, not to mention bolted on the side of it is a Ride Manufacturer which provides mass revenue, hence why the park looks incredible and I want nothing more than to go there. I'm not stupid enough to suggest Alton is the greatest park in the world, far from it. But it is the best we've got and although it's easy to say it could be so much more, you forget it's run by a profit making conglomerate so what you see is what we're going to get. I don't think for one second that views, suggestions and ideas should not be voiced, just remember that Alton is really the only park that listens as well.

*Rock* ALTON *Hard Place*

Right, question, genuinely interested...

Those who found the park more "magical" back in't day, how much did you know about what was going on in the business/planning/cost-cutting/admin/operations side compared to how much you know now; how frequently were you visiting compared to now; how new was Alton Towers as an experience for you? :)

Magrathea said:

Those who found the park more "magical" back in't day, how much did you know about what was going on in the business/planning/cost-cutting/admin/operations side compared to how much you know now; how frequently were you visiting compared to now; how new was Alton Towers as an experience for you? :)
This is a great point from the times you maybe go once a year, it was great and you didn't notice much at all. But once you visit with those who are passionate and visit a rather lot you pick up on things you dislike

Its just, as previously stated because of the number of times we visit! Despite what we say Towers is still by far the best in the country. Even the Swarm and Thorpe in General, I didnt get as much of a buzz off of as if I went on air/nemmy or even Rita. Also despite that many people hate it, I love sub-terry, TBH in my opinion its a Disney Quality (theming/story wise) ride and the attention to detail is amazing. Roll on next year, SW7 and another amazing time killer.

Sub terra.. Disney quality!?

Have you been to Disney?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover....but the exterior of Sub-Terra is the laziest thing I have seen since Rita. To even think about comparing it to Disney is stupidity.

It's OK though as a filler ride and considering its built on the tiniest plot of land imaginable they did quite well, but the ride is still a bit of an embarrassment for 4 million quid. Very much a product of the recession era we are currently in.

Putting 'Nemesis' in the name set the whole thing up to fail, because for most people this only generates thoughts of a rollercoaster and not of the theme and storyline. Therefore dissapointment could only be expected when discovered its little more than a drop tower in the dark.

:)

Magrathea said:

It was new I admit, well newer anyway. But there are places I loved to visit, that I still love to visit now, that don't annoy me as much as Merlin do.

It has actually gone up and down in my ratings and opinions over the years, so it's not anything to do with frequency for me, in fact I had a break from it and went back. This helped me rekindle my adoration for Nemmy, and Oblivion, and reminded me how amazing the staff are! But the park was far worse.

And as I have said multiple times, it was my intention to ignore the enthusiast in me except for the way it helps you organise eeking the best of a day - only to be trumped by GP, non enthusiasts, who were endlessly pointing out things I hadn't even noticed!

Alton has just got bad, it's a simple as that really. The rides are still good, if not looking tatty (again noticed by the GP), and the ride staff mostly exceptional - all credit too them.

It's way to expensive for what it is now. (SW7 may appease that a little admittedly). I don't blame Alton, but you don't get the sense it is run by people who care as much nowadays, or that the downward pressure from Merlin is such that it is impossible FOR them to be able to.

So no, the Magic was the Magic for me. If they stop turning slowly into an more thrilling version of Phones4U, I will be most pleased - at least Phones4U don't charge you £6 to leave if you buy a contract.

I mean come on, to park and have one photo of your visit is £14 - that's just absolutely disgraceful unbridled profiteering and indefensible. And it feels as such, because it's in your face everywhere you go - oh, along with the VAT lectures.

Argh, I'm stopping this post now before I get angry.

They are CLUELESS. As a former hospitality/customer service manager etc - this just drives me nuts.

Fredward said:
Sub terra.. Disney quality!?

Have you been to Disney?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Yes actually, many many times. I didn't mean e-ticket quality but it is just as good if not better than the disney equivilant (stitch in MK)