• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

IP's that have never been used before

I'd both love and hate to see a Discworld area. It'd be be really fun to Ankh-Morpork brought to life, but I don't think anyone but Disney/Universal have the chops/cash to pull it off.

@Sauron97 i can kind of see your point about LOTR. I genuinely think it would be a well themed area (or should be if done properly Hogmede style) but I can’t see many individual stories within the story that would make a good ride.
I do get what you mean. If they are making it a themed area, then some of the sets could be done, especially if Weta Workshop were involved and it was done like the Warner Brother studios as more of a walk through. But inevitably it would 9 times out of 10 involve rides (or the over use of screens!). The ride element is more than anything what would ruin the image of the brand and be damaging, as it would essentially be something you just get a cheap kick of enjoyment out of or not appreciate fully.

Anyone ever watched Sword Art Online? One day, when nerve gear actually becomes a thing assuming we don't get hit by ww3, then I think we can talk about having IPs like that, because only then would you be able to literally (virtually) create another world in a way that is more reflective of the authors intentions. Rewind back to the year 2020 and we're not there yet, so I'd rather we didn't do those kinds of IPs but that's just me.
I'd both love and hate to see a Discworld area. It'd be be really fun to Ankh-Morpork brought to life, but I don't think anyone but Disney/Universal have the chops/cash to pull it off.
I think that's a really cool idea actually, but as you say, it's just not feasible to recreate unless you throw billions or make something which probably won't give the book series justice. I don't think Disney or Universal would have enough for it either tbh.

I've always thought sometimes it would be easier for a theme park to "create an IP" (or just forget the IP thing altogether but that's for a separate topic). I think working around already existing stuff means you're always going to have to scale concepts and budget to stuff which wasn't made in consideration of being turned in to a ride. If you create a story or script for a ride with the full knowledge of what you can do with it, at least then your fantasy/sci fi world or whatever will be easier to design.
Best example is Pirates of the Caribbean. It didn't exist as an IP before it was built and look what it turned in to; an extremely respectable brand.

I've always thought a Doctor Who walkthrough maze would be good.

There has been a few walk through Doctor Who exhibits, Longleat had one

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Exhibition_(Longleat)

Blackpool had one, but I never visited it

http://www.drwhoexhibitions.co.uk/blackpool04.htm

However I did visit the one on the Isle of Wight (Needles, Alum Bay) back in the early 1990's

http://www.richardwho.co.uk/exhibitions/needles199407/index.asp

I've always thought there is so much potential with a Gerry Anderson area, especially "classic" Thunderbirds. You'd have Tracey Island, all the Thunderbirds could be coasters (maybe Thunderbird 3 would be a shot tower though to get you to Thunderbird 5). Then add in things like Captain Scarlet and Stingray.

Back in the 80's, Alton Towers used to have the Thunderbirds puppets on display. If my memory was correct, these were displayed in the building just behind the archway on the right as you pass to go to the driving school and Hex disable entrance

@RoyJess That's a good point. Coventry did one too inside the transport museum building, which I remember was pretty good. I only went once around 2009 ish and I think it only lasted a couple of years if that, but it had lots of the sets and props that were used in the David Tennant years (probably because his time as the Doctor was just coming to an end at that point)

These are the only pictures I could find of it.
http://www.drwhoexhibitions.co.uk/Coventry.htm

There was also a Doctor Who walkthrough in the Welsh Assembly in Cardiff Bay; maybe it was something that toured the country for a bit?

As I think I've mentioned before, I also remember Doctor Who being a top rumour for Thorpe Park's 2016 dark ride before Derren Brown was announced.

Dapol used to have 3 floors of classic doctor who. Until their licence for doctor who was not renewed by the bbc. A couple of years later new doctor who came out.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

The Doctor Who Experience was slightly different to what I was imagining but an advancement of the story section

The experience was great, I loved it and visited it every year (first in London and then its home in Cardiff Bay) but ultimately it was just an excuse to see the props and things from the show (don't get me wrong, I loved that too and it was a shame we lost Llangollen's, Blackpool's, the original Cardiff Bay one and the touring exhibitions) and the actual walkthrough was more a experience through a Doctor Who story (similar to the current War of the Worlds Experience (or whatever it is called in London, which is also fab))

I'm thinking of it as a light scare maze but an actual maze. The shows roots are basically monsters running down corridors. The TARDIS has landed on an unknown planet and the Doctor (a version from the future) has been captured. Captain Jack etc is trapped but you've been selected as the rescuers. The maze then opens up, Daleks etc hide around in the dead ends, chasing you out through different sections. The original experience part of the Doctor Who experience was a little bit of a let down really, it wasn't the full potential it could be.

I've also thought a weeping angel drop track coaster would work quite well. Imagine in the scene room, lots of flashing lights and the weeping angels popping up and when they get close, is when you've been transported in time

I really miss the dapol one at Llangollen. That was my local one. The chance to sit in Bessie.

Going off topic. The Llangollen/Dapol one was my first Doctor Who exhibition back in 2000. I'd say that one was my favourite, the second Blackpool one and then the Cardiff ones. The second Blackpool one had most the pieces from Llangollen and Longleat (including Bessie, but I don't think you could sit in her) with a couple of extras thrown in (like a Mechanoid but I could never work out whether that was original)

I'd like to see a hitchhikers guide area though I've no doubt the moment has passed now (and the film was terrible). I reckon the Total Perspective Vortex would make a good flat/dark ride, the restaurant at the end of the universe for a restaurant/bar/show, a multi launch coaster referencing the heart of gold...or something, vogon poetry slams in the evenings, and enough pan galactic gargle blasters to make it bearable

I'm always surprised that a park is yet to use The Greatest Showman as an IP. I've never watched it, but it seems to be very popular, and I think it could make for a good dark ride or show!

I really miss the dapol one at Llangollen. That was my local one. The chance to sit in Bessie.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I've never been a massive Dr. Who fan but always enjoyed a trip to museum in Llangollen and spent way too much time in the Dalek with the voice modulator. For some reason I still look for the Dalek that has been badly covered over on the tourist sign when driving into the town.

I've always thought Hasbro would be a great IP area for a park, so fingers crossed that Galaxyland actually does a decent enough job to see the themes pushed out elsewhere.

Last edited: