• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is it morally wrong to kill ants?

Ant Powder does not make me feel guilty. Nor does the fact it will kill all of them. I kill enough pigs indirectly.....

My posts have that many mistakes in them?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky :)

We kill bug's all the time how can you feel bad about just killing a few ant's.

I noticed ants on my living room floor yesterday. So I immediately went outside with a kettle of boiling hot water and tipped it down where they were likely to be nesting.

No guilty was felt. But then again I do not have a soul.

Been thinking about this. Well, put it this way. If ants were our size and we theres, they would stamp on us, probably taking great pleasure from doing so.

So I say, kill them. Kill them all.

I'd rather make a maze of chalk coming out of their home, (ants won't cross chalk)- far more entertaining.

This reminds me of doing A Level Philosophy last year; probably spent at least a good couple of weeks on whether it's moral to kill animals... :p

There's so many different theories related to it, and so many different things to consider (is killing animals for meat different to killing animals out of 'self defence', for sport, etc.) and so on.

Personally, with regards to ants, I think they are still sentient animals - they can perceive or be conscious of themselves to some degree. Whether that's scientifically true or not I don't really know, but they're living creatures, so surely there must be some form of sentience about them? And, personally, I think it's 'morally wrong' (whatever that means) to kill anything sentient, so in a way, it is morally wrong to kill ants.

However, that's not a general case. I do think if they're annoying you in some way (invading your picnic, camping out in your kitchen, etc.), it would be best to kill them. It's affecting your general happiness, and so killing them is going to increase your own happiness, and isn't going to make ants any unhappier really. Probably worth saying here that I'd say it's not morally okay to kill another human if they're simply annoying you, because it will likely cause more unhappiness then happiness. Yeah, probably sounds a bit confusing now...

tl;dr - It's morally wrong to kill ants for the lolz, but if they're really annoying you, it's pretty much okay.

Maya said:
I'd rather make a maze of chalk coming out of their home, (ants won't cross chalk)- far more entertaining.

really, well that bit of info with keep me amused for hours in the summer, drawing walkways for ants :D

I have two rules when it comes to invertibrates: 1) anything with more than four legs is evil. 2) If they enter my teratory, they die.

As has been said, ants outnumber us, are smart, and capable of teamwork to bring down larger enemies. It is only a matter of time before they work out how to create explosives.
We should be grateful that we only have harmless little black dots with legs here in the UK. There are some ant species out there that are really nasty. I've been bitten by red ants in Portugal as a kid, and it really burns!

Also, even though smaller bugs like fruit flies, moths, ants etc may be harmless on their own, they provide food for spiders. QED.