• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is there anything I should know before going to Europa Park for the first time?

Sorry to bump this thread, but out of interest; out of Castillo Alcazar, El Andaluz and Kronasar, which hotel would you go for?

Sorry to bump this thread, but out of interest; out of Castillo Alcazar, El Andaluz and Kronasar, which hotel would you go for?
See I really like Kronasar, but I'd advise against staying there for more than a night as it's so out the way and an inconvenience for getting to the main park. Only other hotel I've stopped in is Andaluz, and for the most part I very much enjoyed my stay there. Not quite what I was expecting (the majority of rooms being accessible from outside only was a strange one!), but I'd definitely consider staying there again, especially considering it's typically the least expensive of the 6. :)

Cheers for the tips, all! Based on asking that question both on here and on CoasterForce, I'm leaning towards El Andaluz, as that one seems to have had the most recommendations, but thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!

In terms of my current mood; I'm extremely excited for Europa, and I do have rather high expectations!

I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure quite what to expect from Europa Park, however. I'm expecting very good things, but I'm not 100% sure what those very good things are. Part of me is expecting something like a big American park with more theming and somewhat less of its coasters being heavily thrill-based. Part of me is expecting something like Epcot, but with more rides and no Future World. Part of me is expecting something similar to Disney's Magic Kingdom, as I've heard the comparison made a few times. As strange as the comparison might sound, part of me is expecting something similar to Paultons Park, but on a grander scale; I know comparing Europa to Paultons probably sounds mad, but I get the impression that Europa is similar in that the customer service is very highly received and that the warmth and understated charm is much of what makes it. I have heard Europa and Paultons compared a few times.

I'll digress, though, that as much as I'm extremely excited, I'm also a touch nervous... Europa has had a lot of hype for it, so what if it's severely underwhelming and I don't like it that much? I'm growing a little concerned by reports that the park is very much like Magic Kingdom in style (don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed my time at Magic Kingdom, but I was somewhat underwhelmed, and it's not one of my personal favourites), and while I am extremely excited for Europa's big 3 (why wouldn't I be seeing as it parallels my current top 3 of Mako, Icon and Wicker Man in terms of ride types?), I'm feeling increasingly like I should dial down my expectations given how many are saying Europa's rollercoaster hardware is quite poor. However, as someone who values fun and rerideability over out-and-out intensity, I'll admit that Europa's selection does look like the sort that delivers that type of experience, and as some of my past park experiences have proven (I loved Epcot, I had a really nice time at Paultons, and Busch Gardens Tampa didn't appeal to me as much as I'd hoped), I guess hardware isn't everything by any stretch!

And putting aside my concerns, Europa surely has enough strong praise that loving it can't be a fluke!

Europa rewards time spent doing nothing in particular. It’s not a park where you need to run from ride to ride.

If you make time to stop and smell the roses, you’ll discover the little touches which elevate the park above a lot of its competitors and it’s a better experience for it.

When you're there, just enjoy the park for what it is. Don't try and compare it to other parks, it does not really compare to any other park I have been too for a whole host of reasons. For me, Europa-Park is an all round package that offers an unrivalled experience.

EDIT:

However, I should add that it did take until my second visit for me to toally get Europa-Park. Don't get me wrong, I loved it first time around, but it was not my favourite theme park at the time. After my second visit, well, that was it.

Last edited:
However, I should add that it did take until my second visit for me to toally get Europa-Park. Don't get me wrong, I loved it first time around, but it was not my favourite theme park at the time. After my second visit, well, that was it.

This for me too. Think I rushed it too much first time round.

Don't overthink it. Don't overplan it. The more you try to make a detailed itinerary then the less you'll enjoy it.

100%.

Best thing you can do, Matt is step away from Europa Street and Google. Try going in as blindly as possible. Don't plan what rides you need to get on and in what order because you will 100% get on everything eventually over 3 days.

Walk in the entrance and get lost would be my advice.

I wouldn't say I know a ton about Europa besides the coaster selection, to be honest... I know what to expect coasters-wise, and I do know what some of the more major non-coasters are (for instance, Piraten in Batavia and Voletarium are very much on my radar), but I haven't researched in too much depth about Europa... I haven't watched any POVs of any of their non-coasters, so I don't know in-depth about what to expect from things like the dark rides other than a very broad description, and I also haven't really researched the park layout, so I'm not really sure about it in that regard either.

I'll admit I am going in with a basic to-do list of things I would like to get done over the 3 days, however; that to-do list comprises of:
  • All coaster credits besides B-a-a-a (and possibly Atlantica dependant on weather).
  • Voletarium
  • Piraten in Batavia
  • Maybe some of the smaller dark rides too, if I have time; for instance, I'd like to try Geisterschloss after quite liking its Disney source material, and I've also heard good things about Madame Freudenrich's Curiosities (I'm sorry if I spelt that wrong).
Adding to that, I think I'd like at least a couple of rides on each of the big 3 (Wodan, Silver Star and Blue Fire) within the 3 days, although based on my usual ride count at parks like Alton Towers and the sheer amount on offer at Europa, I'm unsure if I'll get more than 1 ride on each major ride.

I'll admit I might get a touch of cred anxiety if I haven't done all of Europa's coasters at least once within the first day, but I guess that's something for me to try and overcome...

I wouldn't say I know a ton about Europa besides the coaster selection, to be honest... I know what to expect coasters-wise, and I do know what some of the more major non-coasters are (for instance, Piraten in Batavia and Voletarium are very much on my radar), but I haven't researched in too much depth about Europa... I haven't watched any POVs of any of their non-coasters, so I don't know in-depth about what to expect from things like the dark rides other than a very broad description, and I also haven't really researched the park layout, so I'm not really sure about it in that regard either.

I'll admit I am going in with a basic to-do list of things I would like to get done over the 3 days, however; that to-do list comprises of:
  • All coaster credits besides B-a-a-a (and possibly Atlantica dependant on weather).
  • Voletarium
  • Piraten in Batavia
  • Maybe some of the smaller dark rides too, if I have time; for instance, I'd like to try Geisterschloss after quite liking its Disney source material, and I've also heard good things about Madame Freudenrich's Curiosities (I'm sorry if I spelt that wrong).
Adding to that, I think I'd like at least a couple of rides on each of the big 3 (Wodan, Silver Star and Blue Fire) within the 3 days, although based on my usual ride count at parks like Alton Towers and the sheer amount on offer at Europa, I'm unsure if I'll get more than 1 ride on each major ride.

I'll admit I might get a touch of cred anxiety if I haven't done all of Europa's coasters at least once within the first day, but I guess that's something for me to try and overcome...
With all due respect Matt, as a seasoned visitor, it's quite amusing to see you stress about getting on rides at EP with having 3 days there! Trust me matey, you'll be fine. I've historically averaged around 25-30 rides a day at EP, and even on my more recent food and beverage-influenced visits, I've done over 20 a day without any stress. Even on the busiest days it's not an issue to get everything done. :)

Regarding Atlantica, don't worry it's no Tidal Wave. Normally it's all show with very little bite. The water is mostly pushed away from the boat rather than over it.
You'll get wet but I've never come off regretting it.

Regarding Atlantica, don't worry it's no Tidal Wave. Normally it's all show with very little bite. The water is mostly pushed away from the boat rather than over it.
You'll get wet but I've never come off regretting it.
What about the other "wet" water rides, like the Tirol Log Flume, Poisedon and Fjord Rafting?

What about the other "wet" water rides, like the Tirol Log Flume, Poisedon and Fjord Rafting?
Fjord is generally fine, though sometimes has the potential for excessive wetness in the wave section. Tiroler Wildwasserbahn is also very much not an issue, but as is the case with a lot of log flumes, the first drop can result in a wave of water coming into the boat thanks to the rebound wall. As for Poseidon, it's much the same as Atlantica in terms of wetness, if not slightly dryer.

Water rides-wise, are any of EP's water rides like Popeye or Valhalla in terms of wetness (so something I should prepare for accordingly beforehand), or are they all fairly OK?

Also, do hotel guests have a separate entrance, or did I dream that?

I'll admit that this whole "not planning much" thing is something I find surprisingly difficult, being a type who likes to plan and have some degree of baseline knowledge beforehand, but I'm keen to not reveal too many of the park's surprises, as you guys have implied that Europa relies a fair bit on the element of surprise compared to other parks. I do already have some baseline knowledge of Europa (mainly about the coaster selection, but I do also know a basic description of some of the non-coasters), but I really haven't researched in too much depth at all. I certainly haven't watched any POVs or read any detailed synopses of dark rides, anyway (although I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't do that for dark rides at any park I'm soon to visit, anyway, so that one isn't too hard), and I don't really know an awful lot about Europa's park layout, either.

"Don't plan" is also quite a stark departure from the advice I usually get; usually when I'm visiting a new park and asking for tips, enthusiasts give me an in-depth plan of action to follow and many tips! Is Europa really that carefree compared to other parks?

Water rides-wise, are any of EP's water rides like Popeye or Valhalla in terms of wetness (so something I should prepare for accordingly beforehand), or are they all fairly OK?
No. :tearsofjoy:

Also, do hotel guests have a separate entrance, or did I dream that?
Yes, it's in the complex of Hotel El Andaluz, so great for you if you opt to stop there. :)

I'll admit that this whole "not planning much" thing is something I find surprisingly difficult, being a type who likes to plan and have some degree of baseline knowledge beforehand, but I'm keen to not reveal too many of the park's surprises, as you guys have implied that Europa relies a fair bit on the element of surprise compared to other parks. I do already have some baseline knowledge of Europa (mainly about the coaster selection, but I do also know a basic description of some of the non-coasters), but I really haven't researched in too much depth at all. I certainly haven't watched any POVs or read any detailed synopses of dark rides, anyway (although I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't do that for dark rides at any park I'm soon to visit, anyway, so that one isn't too hard), and I don't really know an awful lot about Europa's park layout, either.
I wouldn't say don't plan at all. Whenever I visit a new park I make sure to look at the rides and attractions list on the website to see what there is and what I want to do, so that I don't miss anything that's a bit more hidden away if you don't know about it. I'd suggest having a look at what's on offer to see what takes your fancy, and what you'd be happy to miss out on. (I'd generally recommend doing all rides you're able to - you'll likely find something quirky and fun about them even if they're not much to look at at first glance.) :)

I've only spent two days in Europa Park, but have to echo what others have said, Matt. In my two days I rode all the coasters, all the dark rides, all the water rides (which are excellent and largely dry) and a nice selection of flat rides and other oddities multiple times - without rushing at all.

If you really do want to do some planning (I'm a planner too!) then I'd personally suggest familiarising yourself with the different themed lands as opposed to all the attractions within them - as these are what make EP so special.