• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

JCB plan £30 million golf resort

I'm not sure what this means for Alton, I hope they sort out the roads to help getting to the area.

Jables said:
I'm not sure what this means for Alton, I hope they sort out the roads to help getting to the area.

It doesn't really mean that much for Towers in terms of visitors. Towers will only notice an impact if a major tour tournament is held at the course.

I suppose if it is approved they can try and use it in their favour when trying to get some of their own plans approved. Although I'd say even the relevance of that will be minimal as a golf course is quite different to the types of things Towers install. A golf course isn't going to cause a negative visual impact on the area like say a coaster could.

:)

I know people are saying golf and Alton won't mix, but lets not forget Disney (who Merlin are 2nd to, you know!) love some golf action!

Disneyworld has 4 golf courses!
Disneyland Paris has 1 golf course.
Disneyland California HAD a golf course in the 60s.
Disney Shanghai has registered the trademarks for 5 golf courses (excluding miniature!)
Many DVC locations have golf too.

Perhaps a stretch between Theme Parks and Golf is not as tenuous as many are thinking. If Alton were to become a few day resort then perhaps if a family went Dad could go for a round of golf while Mum and the Kids take a swim.

Also during out of Season and conference events I believe its still a tradition for many business meetings to take place on the greens.

Perhaps Alton could make some form of partnership with the golf, a discounted rate for guests and transport from the hotels to the course. The golf course would get increased visitors and money through spending and the ATR hotels would have another feature.

Im not saying I expect it to happen, but I can certainly see business sense from both parties to combine on this issue.
Also it would be nice to see 2 of the larger employers / income / attractions in the area work together.

Alastair said:
BenBowser said:
To be honest, I don't think building the attraction near towers will make a difference for them at all. However, I think it will be excellent for JCB, families will visit the course on they way back from towers. I don't think towers should feel any effect from it.

Families will visit a golf course after Towers? I very much doubt it, they're very different target markets.

What about the Conference Centre? This proves that AT is popular with all target markets. The golf could easily be incorporated with Conference Packages. And would probably prove popular. The course could still be exclusive, maybe AT guests have the opportunity to play one day a week or something, with a hefty price tag this would put off any, urm undesirables, that would not be welcome at a golf resort.

Ben said:
If Alton were to become a few day resort then perhaps if a family went Dad could go for a round of golf while Mum and the Kids take a swim.
Sexist much? :p

Many women and children now play, the dynamics and attitudes of golf resorts have changed rapidly in the last decade, most, if not all resorts now welcome families. Not necessarily all of the time, but there is definitely an increasing female and child interest, for sure.

Scott said:
^ However conversely, the people visiting JCB may then visit Towers.

Of course, if someone is visiting JCB for a round of golf/work, why not make a night of it, take the family, stay in one of our fantastically themed hotels... Enjoy over 50 attractions, or why not spoil yourself with a complete range of personalised spa treatments, from a revitalizing facial to a heavenly massage or aromatic body treatment from Elemis. [/Advert]

Not really a fan of golf, there's already more than enough golf courses in the UK. The only way that I would find this interesting is if they made it giant crazy golf to be played with modified JCBs.

As for the conference centre, JCB 'ave already got one. If this is to be a golf resort, the accommodation will probably be part of the golf facility as well so I don't see there being much opportunity for Alton to profit from JCB's golfing clients.

To be fair I don't think that it will affect AT much. Some people may use the golf course and send kids to AT, but the two shouldn't mix that much. Will roads be improved. Some maybe widened, they have the tools after all. But that could be it short term. Long term it could bring in more things that will require better infrastructure.
Some more hotels camp sites may spring up. All in all however its good for the local economy.

Ben said:
If Alton were to become a few day resort then perhaps if a family went Dad could go for a round of golf while Mum and the Kids take a swim.
Sexist much? :p

Many women and children now play, the dynamics and attitudes of golf resorts have changed rapidly in the last decade, most, if not all resorts now welcome families. Not necessarily all of the time, but there is definitely an increasing female and child interest, for sure.
[/quote]

Or any combination of the family. Im know my husband hates it when I call him the wife.