• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

King Charles diagnosed with cancer

Be prepared for a long fuss.
My mum had terminal bone cancer...for twelve years...starting in her seventies.
Good general health the majority of the time, but masses of pills and limited chemo/radiotherapy occasionally.
She had a decent quality of life for a decade carrying the disease, but it was norovirus that killed her off in the end.
People can live for decades with cancer.
He will be getting the very best of treatment, no NHS waits for junior doctor/consultant strikes here.
This may not be a short story.
I’ve had experiences at both ends of the spectrum with family. My grandma managed to keep going for much longer than anticipated, a real fighter. But my uncle was diagnosed in March and passed away in November! Both experiences are awful, cancer takes no prisoners. It’s an awful disease that rips families to shreds.

It’s been very respectful here, however over on the cesspit that is Twitter it’s cancer jokes galore. We all have a dark humour at times but if the first thing you want to do after an man is diagnosed with cancer, is jump on social media to poke fun and make crude jokes… then you are a very sick person.

Rishi Sunak has stated Kings cancer caught early.
Statements put out sound positive.

However, BBC news channel all very somber with newsreaders wearing black?

This is a bit weird.

Rishi Sunak has stated Kings cancer caught early.
Statements put out sound positive.

However, BBC news channel all very somber with newsreaders wearing black?

This is a bit weird.
Not seeing the BBC wearing much black today looking back at the 10 o clock news, Breakfast this morning and now the 1 o clock news? It seems very much the same as other news outlets in terms of look and coverage. The same speculation over very little that's actually known at present.

Referring to Sunak, it seems Downing Street have now had to put out a statement clarifying Sunak's comments this morning, stating that he was referring to the swift intervention of his medical team when it was spotted, rather than any comment regarding the type or stage of cancer.

Fully agree with others on here though. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the monarchy - the fact is cancer is awful and not something anyone wants to experience, but sadly many of us will either go through it ourselves, or know plenty who has. Regardless of a faster route through going private, having to go through that in the public eye and having every move (or lack of one) over scrutinised and speculated on isn't something anyone needs on top of actually having to deal with your own treatment.

The BBC always dress the news readers in a style that can be quickly converted to mourning attire since the queen mother controversy.

Straying into the political but It does seem that Sunak can’t say anything in public without his PR team having to make quick statements correcting his blunders. God help them when the GE campaign goes official.

Charles has started treatment immediately after being diagnosed, meanwhile waiting times for NHS Cancer treatment in England have been announced as the worst on record.

Only 64.1% of patients started treatment within 62 days of diagnosis in 2023.

Is there a better illustrative current news example of the divide between us than this story?

I lost my Dad to pancreatic cancer at the end of 2022, and as much as I miss him I'm almost glad he went then instead of now, given the wait times and NHS capacity overall being the way it is. He was lucky enough to catch it early and then was able to start treatment very quickly and ended up in the clear. Unfortunately, it was back by the summer of 2022 and his first round of treatment caused a stroke - very common from what I gather. I can't even imagine how much more traumatic it would have been for him (and us, selfishly) to endure the longer waits we're seeing now, and he wasn't even in the worst shape until the very end. So many cancer patients are going through a living hell on a day-to-day basis and every delay is stealing time.

I'm waiting back on blood results due to some cancer-like symptoms and I can't lie, the thought of a delay in accessing treatment should I need it absolutely petrifies me. I'm glad Charlie boy is getting it, as I am for anyone suffering from cancer, but knowing you yourself could be in the rapidly growing queue soon makes it harder to swallow with a smile.

@Dave trying to stay out of politics but I wish Sunak would just say nothing…..at all.

Re Charles. I actually think he’s started his reign well. A lot of the noise has died down somewhat, and I like the fact he seems to be more open about what’s going on within the family. Was very shocked he announced this.

Nothing shocking about being able to afford top medical care when you inherit about £500 million and don't have to pay any tax on it. It's to be expected. Still, gotta love 'em ain't ya.

Pretty certain he had something to play in the death of Diana. I cannot really say I am sad about this news, not happy about it either, just neutral.

That said, I wish him well.

Will's not having a great time then is he. Dad and Wife both with cancer, and he's still been out doing his social engagements recently. I'm no fan of the Royal family, but just on a human level, fair play. All while the internet have been talking all sorts of stuff about Kate lately :openmouth: