• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Dominion: General Discussion

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
We don't seem to have a topic for Kings Dominion, so here goes!

The park have announced that their Togo Stand-Up coaster, Shockwave, will be closing on August 9th.

Needless to say that this news has been greeted with my happiness and rejoicing. Having ridden it I know why, it is nothing short of awful in every way possible. Rough, awful trains, awful layout, awful ride system. Despite all of that I do feel that a Togo Stand-Up is one of those coasters that you have to ride at some point in your life, just for the terrifying experience!

Also I did not realise until today that it's actually a death credit after man managed to wriggle out of his restaint back in 1999.

Cedar Fair really are determined to remove all stand-ups from their parks. The Togo's will be no more, Mantis has been converted and there are rumours of other of their B&M Stand-Ups being converted to floorless for 2016.

In other 'news' - Kings Dominion are really due a new major coaster!!

:)

@Rob - I enjoy your 'post everything from Screamscape and flesh it out with comment and the odd video' approach. Keep it up, I don't need to read Screamscape anymore! :)

Kings Dominion has lots of coasters but nothing really stands out, bar 305 and Volcano. I wonder if they will try and sell Shockwave!

Reactions: Rob
I like to keep the forum up to date with new developments! :p

You have a point though, I305 is the obvious stand out coaster and rightly so, it is incredible. Volcano was actually a massive let down, not least because it slams into the final brakes right after the best part of the ride. Dominator is a very good and intense B&M Floorless though, and Flight of Fear is surprisingly good.

When you look at what Cedar Fair have done at some of their parks recently I do feel that it is Kings Dominion's turn for a big coaster. However it's looking like Cedar Point will be getting the major coaster next year. Personally I would like to see a B&M Invert, maybe in 2017.

When we visited KD in 2013 (during the extended closure of i305) it felt like a park in desperate need of another top-level coaster. Dominator is solid if unspectacular, and Volcano isn't anywhere near as good as it could/should have been - all the speed from the launches is totally wasted as it just meanders around aimlessly at high level.

A B&M invert seems the obvious choice as it's something missing from their line up (Volcano doesn't count as it's a totally different type of ride), and it seems that Cedar Fair are fond of B&M at the moment.

Kings Dominion have today announced what will be replacing Shockwave. It's not a coaster but it is a damn good flat ride, a Huss Giant Frisbee named Delirium:
Kings Dominion said:
Get ready to defy gravity on Kings Dominion’s new ride, Delirium. The thrill ride will be located in the Candy Apple Grove section of the park and is set to open in the spring of 2016.

Delirium is a powerful, spinning pendulum on which 40 riders will be strapped into their seats, facing outward on a giant ring. As their feet dangle, they begin slowly swinging back and forth while the ring starts to rotate. The ride quickly gains momentum and before they know it, riders are getting swirling views of the park. On Delirium, guests soar to a height of 115 feet at a maximum arc angle of 120 degrees.

Delirium will delight thrill seekers of all ages as they fly through the air, experiencing gravity defying hang time. “The addition of Delirium reflects our commitment to providing exciting and thrilling family experiences for our guests,” says Pat Jones, Vice President and General Manager of Kings Dominion. “We pride ourselves on being home to a variety of rides and attractions that offer something for all generations to enjoy. Delirium will make a great addition to our already thrilling collection of rides.”

Park guests who want to be among the first to experience Kings Dominion’s newest addition can purchase a 2016 Kings Dominion Season Pass starting today. Passholders enjoy many benefits, including: Bring-A-Friend discounts, food and merchandise discounts, early access to select rides and Kings Dominion’s all-inclusive water park, Soak City.
“Delirium” will begin delighting and disorienting riders in the spring of 2016

thumb_delirium_image2.jpg

Great addition for the park. Expect a new coaster in 2017.

Kings Island already has one of those with the same name, does it not? Nice original name there from Cedar Fair. I've heard mixed reviews of giant frisbees but I'd love to try one.

More than likely! Kings Dominion and Kings Island share several identical rides including Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Woodstock Express so it would be nothing new! :p

Excellent! Hurler is such a disappointment of a ride, it looks like it should provide some decent airtime but there is none. An RMC conversion will be much better!

Double bump!

Kings Dominion are now offering a new and exclusive cold beverage from Starbucks:

DCis0bTUAAAMWB2.jpg

Introducing our exclusive Starbucks drink... the Royal Mango Crème Frappucino! It's the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. #Yum #DrinkUp

Mmmm, a nice tasty RMC frapp!

Meanwhile, over at Hurler:

19149062_926885780785507_8209871300974975111_n.jpg

Source

A look at how Hurler is coming along, with a taller and steeper lift hill and newly profiled hills:

20495536_10203486688604830_128111159_o.jpg

20447171_10203486695244996_1746018995_o.jpg

Source

This is going to be such an improvement!

Yes! This looks awesome, so much better than Hurler and hopefully full of ejector airtime! Here are some more images of the ride:

DHXHXyqVoAAtNEH.jpg

DHXHmSJXcAA3nfN.jpg

DHXHoFHXcAEF82e.jpg

And here is the official promo video:

Oh my god... look at that airtime! I can feel it through my iPad screen!

This ride has been overshadowed by Steel Vengeance, but I think this will be the sleeper hit of 2018. Looks like one of the best RMCs!