Kings Island: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Sir Queer Llama, 28th Jul 2012.

1. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @Matt N I half agree ... however I think Son Of Beast was unnecessarily bad even with the technology it employed. Even if it had run wonderfully smoothly, it still would have been somewhat lacklustre. Those huge helices were brutal, but if they hadn't have been they would have been boring.

I am not sure we'd have seen something the scale of SoB as a prefab, the cost could have been prohibitive - but you never know!

2. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    To be fair, the ride they've replaced it with is hardly something to shout home about.

3. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Pleasure Beach Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    RCCA were hired to build it I think and they'd had problems previously with The Rattler at Fiesta Texas so it was always gonna be a gamble to use them. I still feel gutted that I never got to ride it but I guess I'd rather not experience it though most people said the loop was the smoothest bit and I can see why!

4. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Great to see a high quality POV of Son of Beast (just need a decent Drachen Fire POV to appear now...)! I had not quite realised how poor the pacing of the ride was following the loop.

I love the ambition shown by Kings Island with Son of Beast, it is just a pity that it did not work out.

5. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    There was so much ambition in Son of Beast and i believe there are many footer from the coaster that still stand to this day and there's always a chance that they'll be a ground up RMC on the rest of the plot hopefully ;)

6. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

The station building is still standing as well. It's a bit mad being there and seeing how much land from it is left even after the building of Banshee.

Maybe they could go for a Raptor (similar to Jersey Devil) next in the space were Vortex stood.

7. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yh that might work and yh i think the station is used now for a Halloween event now (not the interior but the exterior)!

8. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It's been used for a scare maze in the past I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Nov 2020
  9. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Weren’t some of the ride’s issues caused by the fact that RCCA were allegedly fired early on in the construction process and KI built it themselves in the same way they did the original Beast?

10. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Aside from the loop, it actually looked like of the most boring coasters ever built. It's history fascinates me though because of much of a disaster it was.

11. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    Says it all about the design and planning when the thing looks like it needed a set of kickers just to get it to crest the first drop, a few feet after coming off the lift!
    6FC9DD7A-476A-4C64-914C-F316C15BD597.jpeg

The bouncing going down the first drop is also quite something.

Anyway, I fell asleep before it even reached the loop.

12. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    RCCA has to be one of the worst coaster manufacturers ever. Not a single good coaster to their name.

CGM and Pleasure Beach Valhalla like this.
  13. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    I've done two RCCA woodies - Magnus Colossus (now closed) at Terra Mítica, and Bandit at Movie Park Germany. The former was painful to the extent that no matter how I held on, it still hurt my back, and the layout just wasn't great. As for the latter? Well, the layout wasn't too bad, but it was so unbelievably rough that I swear it vibrated in all four dimensions, and I have NEVER seen @Poisson look so ill after going on anything in my life. Case in point with that is the very same trip when we did Tilburg Kermis, and as soon as Tom got off Commander (the famed Mondial Shake), he got another ticket and went straight back on. :p

14. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yh and RCCAs other coasters were Montana Rusa, The Rattler, the one at Parque Warner Madrid and Son of Beast so yh they certainly had a rocky history. Son of Beast was said to be boring besides the loop because it was just repetitive, fought helixes apparently so the layout wasn't great. It should have maybe lasted a bit longer but at least a good coaster replaced it ( or a bit of it)!

15. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Oh god not the Satan coaster. I agree it defied physics, and hurt really badly. I'd love to have gone on SoB but it probably rode like a SoB.

ETA: I'm happy with rough rides, love stuff like T'Ultimate and Nash but this was just unpleasant and dull. Apparently Bandit has had a retrack which makes it a bit less awful, still dull.

Last edited: 11th Nov 2020
  16. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Wild Wild West (the Madrid one) wasn't all that bad when it opened, but the years have not been kind.

17. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    New for 2021 announcement from the park:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Kings Island Camp Cedar, a luxury outdoor resort and RV park, will open its gates this spring, welcoming park guests, families, vacationers and RV travelers to a family lodging and outdoor recreational destination.

Nestled amid more than 50 acres of land less than a mile from Kings Island’s front gate, the addition of Kings Island Camp Cedar will make a visit to the park even more memorable.

Currently under construction, the $27 million project is owned by Small Brothers, LLC and Terra Firma Associates and through a unique partnership and licensing will be managed by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, owner of Kings Island.

Whatever your lodging needs, Kings Island Camp Cedar will deliver with 73 beautifully appointed cottages and 164 full-service RV spaces, with 100 additional cottages planned.

[​IMG]
    Resort guests will be able to take advantage of outdoor entertainment including recreational and adult-exclusive pools, ponds, walking trail, unique dining options, bathhouses, laundry facilities, firepits, grills and picnic tables.

The Grand Lodge will include a signature indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar, shopping, exercise facility and expansive fireplace with an outdoor cantina offering a casual dining and bar experience featuring American, Mexican and Italian fare in a grab-and-go food truck-inspired experience.

The outdoor pools will include a family activity pool with water play features and a separate adult-exclusive pool. Both will offer poolside service and cabana facilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wouldn't mind staying here after a late close, with a beer by the firepits!

Rob, MattyH, Jonathan and 5 others like this.
  18. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Yes please. This looks great!

Cedar Point is the only Cedar Fair property that is a true "resort" at present. It would be good to add others.

19. Pleasure Beach Valhalla

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    This is great for the park and you can really tell Cedar Fair enjoys investing in this park however an improvement would be giving it a new entrance just like Cedar Point and Carowinds but becoming a resort is good!!!

Skyscraper likes this.